Safety inflation

Old July 7th 18, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Safety inflation

On Saturday, July 7, 2018 at 2:18:43 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 08:41:24 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

And according to a supporter, the Garmin radar is "totally useless
in the city."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Bv6t57LKg7I
-- but at least he would have had something to look at while getting
mowed down.

(...) I'm going to get one so my estate can sue, assuming the
camera is not destroyed in the massive rear-end collision I've
been avoiding for the last 50 years.
-- Jay Beattie.

Perhaps, a helmet camera like this:
https://www.studiobinder.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/How-to-make-the-best-GoPro-videos-for-your-Brand-GoPro-Accessories.jpg
Or, maybe a bicycle helmet with both front and rear facing cameras:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1184889044/cyclevision-edge-worlds-first-dual-camera-cycling
Or, maybe all 360 degrees:
https://newatlas.com/360fly-interactive-panoramic-video/31085/

My son and I were returning home from a ride today and encountered an older guy on a belt drive bike with all sorts of gizmos and two cameras on his helmet -- forward and rearward facing. The rear facing camera was looking right at me, which is oddly intrusive. I'm hoping to be selected for his just-riding-along highlight reel. If we had passed with too closely, I'm sure the video would have been posted to some bicycle-shaming website.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 8th 18, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 7 Jul 2018 15:28:41 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

My son and I were returning home from a ride today and encountered
an older guy on a belt drive bike with all sorts of gizmos and two
cameras on his helmet -- forward and rearward facing. The rear
facing camera was looking right at me, which is oddly intrusive.
I'm hoping to be selected for his just-riding-along highlight reel.
If we had passed with too closely, I'm sure the video would have
been posted to some bicycle-shaming website.
-- Jay Beattie.

Proabably YouTube:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bad+cycling+video&oq=bad+cycling+video
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=bad+cycling
Hopefully, his cameras have image stabilization.

I suspect that you have the wrong idea about the real purpose of
wearable bicycle cameras. They are not there to produce yet another
spectacular cycling sports video as the folks at GoPro might suggest.
They are also not suitable for post mortem cycling evidence suitable
for playing at the funeral or in the courtroom. They are actually a
talisman to ward away evil spirits and prevent cycling accidents.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talisman
I can offer anecdotal tesimony as to the effectiveness of such
cameras. Ever since I installed a front/rear dashboard camera in my
Subaru, I have not experienced a single accident or near miss while
driving either forward or backward. Obviously, the presence of a
camera is all that is required to produce this highly desireable
effect. Granted, this is with an automobile, but I presume that it's
much the same with a bicycle. I have disposed of my former good luck
charms (rabbits foot, railroad spike, four leaf clover, mojo bag,
shark tooth, etc)
http://www.thisisinsider.com/good-luck-charms-different-countries-2017-3
and currently rely solely on my dashboard camera talisman for my
personal safety.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 8th 18, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

A video/ video storage system or a radar alert may be
interesting but it won't stop a drunk high or texting idiot.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 8th 18, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

[...]

"In Case You Didn’t Believe Me That Bicyclists Are Gearing Up For War,
Apparently They’re Now Wearing Body Armor"
https://ihatebicyclists.com/2013/09/10/in-case-you-didnt-believe-me-that-bicyclists-are-gearing-up-for-war-apparently-theyre-now-wearing-body-armor/
Mo
https://www.flickr.com/photos/partybots/6999473065
http://www.instructables.com/id/Zombie-proof-bicycle/
http://russian7.ru/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/446-5.jpg
https://i2.wp.com/www.oldbike.eu/museum/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Dursley-Pedersen-Military-Detachable-Cycle1.jpg
https://www.gunandgame.com/attachments/1371320599265-jpg.61560/
https://www.cnet.com/news/zombie-proof-bike-built-with-chainsaw-other-essentials/
https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--iPF6u8SU--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/17g0b2f33y0nqjpg.jpg

Interesting web pile. From the masthead:
"Bicyclists are the worst people in the world. Here's why."
https://ihatebicyclists.com

Old July 8th 18, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

web. meh.
The definitive work is:
https://www.alibris.com/Bicycles-in-...006?matches=11

Old July 8th 18, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Safety inflation -- 13 Speed Squirrel Shredder

wrote:

[...]

No, but with the video, at least your family has something to show at the wake -- assuming the SD card is picked up by police or EMS.

The next greatest thing from Ben Hur Cycle Designs: https://bikerumor.com/2018/07/08/wil...no-derailleur/

The amazing part is that with all those sharp teeth, the efficiency gain is only 1% over DA. The market is starting to look like the late 1800s with steam powered nose-hair trimmers and other exotic Rube Goldberg contraptions.. And then all the safety devices. What does it mean?

-- Jay Beattie

Old July 8th 18, 11:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Not that I want one, but that's pretty cool in terms of
creative thinking. Who knows, it could be a path forward
given some development. I didn't laugh at it anyway.

Old July 9th 18, 04:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

https://bikerumor.com/2018/07/08/wild-ceramicspeed-driven-13-speed-drivetrain-concept-shifts-with-no-derailleur/
The amazing part is that with all those sharp teeth, the efficiency
gain is only 1% over DA.

Races have been won with less than 1% mechanical advantage.

The amazing part to me is that the rear drive shaft pinion gear
doesn't bend the rear sprocket inward. At the angle shown in the
photos, the drive shaft bearings look like they can produce almost as
much inward lateral force on the rear sprocket as they do making the
wheel go round. The rear sprocket is supported by 12 thin radial
spokes, that don't look strong enough to handle much lateral force.

As long as the drive shaft bearings are sitting at the bottom of the
rear sprocket teeth, there won't be much lateral force. However, when
these bearings slide up the sides of the rear sprocket teeth, the
lateral force will increase drastically and might either bend the rear
sprocket, or shred the leading edge of the sprocket teeth. Using
bearings instead of ordinary gear teeth will certainly help, but I
don't know how much it will help. There's probably a similar problem
with the front sprocket where the front drive shaft bearing is trying
to bend the front chainring outward.

Also, I wonder if the drive shaft uses a thrust bearing for shifting,
and how much pressure is on this bearing.

The market is starting to look like the late 1800s with steam
powered nose-hair trimmers and other exotic Rube Goldberg contraptions.
And then all the safety devices. What does it mean?
-- Jay Beattie

Where have you been the last few years? Kickstarter and other crowd
funding sites are full of badly conceived great ideas that will never
sell or work. It's been like that since the beginning of history,
where someone designs a better product to save humanity from itself,
or just to separate the customer from his money. The only difference
is that todays great ideas can sometimes get funding for something
that is clearly impossible, and no matter how original an idea, the
patent sharks are lurking and ready to sue.

Old July 9th 18, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 08 Jul 2018 15:15:46 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

web. meh.
The definitive work is:
https://www.alibris.com/Bicycles-in-...006?matches=11

Thanks. The book is now on order for $9.42 including tax and
shipping. If I decide to weaponize one of my bicycles, it might give
me some ideas on what can be done.

If my bookshelf collapses from being overloaded, it's your fault.

Incidentally, one of my friends has recently morphed into a "prepper"
and "zombie apocalypse" enthusiast. He's outfitting his ancient
Stumpjumper with survival supplies in case the SHTF (s**t hits the
fan) in case he needs to "bug out" quickly. (Sorry, but I'm just
learning the lingo).
https://www.google.com/search?q=prepper+bicycle&tbm=isch
So far, I'm impressed with his thinking and suspect that my efforts to
weaponize one of my bicycles will follow his example. Eventually, the
bicycle manufacturers and custom builders will discover the prepper
bicycle market, release similar products, and pollute the market with
innovative but impractical designs.

Old July 9th 18, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Fri, 6 Jul 2018 15:02:21 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

It's a deep state conspiracy to scare all cyclists off the road and
put us all safely in our basements on Zwift, where we belong.

Oh, there's been a big uptick in the populist "bikes don't belong"
brigade in the past couple of years hereabouts.

Some of that is due to some high profile fatal bike-car collisions
(three that I can think of offhand, two of which apparently involved the
cyclist running a red light or stop sign and the other a hit-and-run
drunk driver). Some of it is due to several thoroughfares getting badly
designed bike lanes that also resulted in homeowners and businesses
losing onstreet parking and/or the loss of a lane of traffic, resulting
in backups many blocks long while drivers have plenty of time to
contemplate the empty bike lanes (we have a Minneapolis Bike Coalition
and a St. Paul Bike Coalition that have sprung into existence to push
for these in the past few years, neither of which seem to have the
foggiest notion of competent bike lane design).

My favorite compliaints are the grousing based on the canard of "bikes
don't pay taxes" and that we are therefore getting to use the roads for
free. I wonder where all that money I send to the government goes, if
I'm not paying my fair share of taxes.

Safety inflation Frank Krygowski[_4_] Techniques 21 January 6th 18 03:24 AM
Safety inflation: The next level Frank Krygowski[_4_] Techniques 5 June 29th 15 04:09 PM
OT Inflation A.C.P.Crawshaw UK 0 August 15th 08 01:37 PM
OT Inflation Danny Colyer UK 0 August 12th 08 06:35 PM
OT Inflation spindrift UK 0 August 12th 08 03:40 PM