What abt a Windsor Touring bike? Good?

Old October 13th 06, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides

Default What abt a Windsor Touring bike? Good?

Never been on a bike tour in my life. Trying to
accumulate bike and gear for some touring next spring
and summer. Some camping involved

Been asking a ton of questions here over last few
months. (sorry)

Anyway..... what abt this Windsor Touring bike?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm

Also...still unsure of trailer vs panniers.

What's opinion on YAK trailer in conjunction with this
bike? Maybe a used one.

Cost is an issue with me as I have so much other gear
to buy (sleeping bag, tent, clothing)..... that I cant
spend all my money on bike and panniers for now
Old October 13th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
sally

In article ,
wrote:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm

Various internet bike forums are full of reports of sloppily assembled
bikes from bikesdirect.com, then poor customer service when customers
try to get their brand new bikes fixed. I would pay a little extra
at a local bike shop that will take the time to size and fit you properly,
and also assemble the bike professionally.
Old October 13th 06, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
David Kerber

In article , says...
In article ,
wrote:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/tourist.htm

Various internet bike forums are full of reports of sloppily assembled
bikes from bikesdirect.com, then poor customer service when customers
try to get their brand new bikes fixed. I would pay a little extra
at a local bike shop that will take the time to size and fit you properly,
and also assemble the bike professionally.

Unless you've got the mech skills to do it yourself...

newsgroups if possible).
Old October 14th 06, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
daytoncapri

wrote:

Anyway..... what abt this Windsor Touring bike?

IMHO - sure, $$$ is always an issue. I've bought junk - thinking that
I was saving money. Bad decision for me in most cases.

Here's a different approach, I am no "expert" in this, except in having
travelled a bit. My ideas may not fit conventional thinking - so,
caveat emptor...

1. I have been touring for years - no more than four days at a time
with a aluminum frame Hybrid Trek 7200 FX, (now called Trek 7.2 FX).
This name-brand bike is in the same price range as your web-store
mystery bike. When this product was launched, one of its
distinguishing features from the other low-cost hybrids was braze-ons
for panniers for the front fork. That clinched the decision to order
this bike through my LBS - I was one of the first to get one. In the
end I never did use front panniers, opting instead for a rear trailer.
I still like this bike.

2. My LBS guy did give me some advice on how to use this bike as a
touring bike. It doesn't hurt to ask a flesh-and-blood person, I also
believe that supporting the LBS is the way to go - it's smart for you
to have a local friend, it's a good thing to support your locals in
your community.

3. A touring bike is said to well-designed to handle additional
luggage, with a longer wheelbase, a sturdier frame than many other
bikes - but I dunno that, as I've never owned or ridden one. I believe
that a hybrid will put you in a different sitting position, but can
also be a sturdy bike for handling loads. The question is - which will
make you comfortable? I'm not sure that finding-out from strangers
(like me) or on a mail-order bike is the way to go for such decisions.

3. A trailer has real advantages - you can sometimes park your trailer
somewhere, and then... fly! You can toss in a lot of stuff. I have a
discontinued Yakima trailer that I just love, including the
uber-waterproof dufflebag that fits inside. I felt no reservations
about ordering that thing through mail-order, but only after having
some experiences. Before that, I used a cheap used children's trailer
to haul my gear ($40, orginally $100). One lesson was that a 2-wheeled
(traverse mounted) kids trailer can turn over when one wheel hits a
bump too hard; while a single-wheeled just bounces. (I did a 260km trip
around Lac-St Jean in Quebec with the kiddy hook-up) Nashbar has a
trailer you might look at - not an endorsement. A trailer, like any
additional load WILL put stress on your bike - you, personally, will
get tired and recover, and ultimately get stronger from the experience,
but the bike will feel it as wear and tear, particularly your drive
train (chain, gears, etc)

4. Finally, if you are returning to biking after some time away, it's
probably good to relearn some fundamental techniques, like how to shift
with the least duress to your gears - I've shortened my drive train
life with totally preventable bad habits, leading to unnecessary $$$
repairs. Think carefully about your every bad scenario on a bike, if
spokes break, if your rims get tacoed.. I've gotten stuck - no fun -
but then I go out again!

Just another guys opinions, you will make your own. Good luck!

Dayton Capri

Buying Julie's Bike [email protected] General 0 September 27th 06 05:24 PM
Still Looking for a bike [email protected] UK 19 September 5th 04 10:25 AM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 10:49 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM