This beginner is stoked

Old July 16th 03, 03:59 AM
Cubby01

Default This beginner is stoked

Hi all,
Last week I got out every other day but seemed to be stuck at about 9m max.
This past Sunday was pretty much the same with 9m. Then Monday I hit 18M.
And today I hit 38m. I can see sight of 50m. It's coming together. Need
to keep practicing for consistency. Got a couple questions.

I've been using a lamp post or such to get started. Should I start trying
to freemount now or wait till I've got riding under more control?

When does my butt start to automatically find the sweat spot in the seat?
I'm on a Viscount saddle and I'm still not sure if my body should be pushing
forward or backward in the seat. For what it's worth the seat is adjusted
to be pushed as far forward on the uni post as possible.

This is hard work. After 30 mins or so I'm sweating like a pig. (Do pigs
sweat? I never really noticed.) I've avoided hitting the ground with
anything but my feet in the last week but I have managed to bang my calves
up pretty good. This evening I managed to wedge my left foot between the
crank and the spokes. Bruised and scraped but not enough to stop me from
climbing on again.

Thanks all,
-Cubby

Old July 17th 03, 01:56 AM
Oana et Jocelyn

I am no expert, but have been through this not so long ago...

I've been using a lamp post or such to get started. Should I start trying
to freemount now or wait till I've got riding under more control?

I would suggest waiting, it shouldn't be too long. From 10-20 meter to
much longer was non linear progress for me. One day, it just happened
magically, like most uni related skills. I actually witnessed a friend a
couple
of week ago going from his 10m max to more then 100m in one evening!
Then you will be ready for freemounting, since a suitable lampost is not
always
handy.

When does my butt start to automatically find the sweat spot in the seat?
I'm on a Viscount saddle and I'm still not sure if my body should be

pushing
forward or backward in the seat. For what it's worth the seat is adjusted
to be pushed as far forward on the uni post as possible.

Interesting, I have personnally never pondered this. The key is to have
your
weight on the uni, not on the pedals.

This is hard work. After 30 mins or so I'm sweating like a pig. (Do pigs
sweat? I never really noticed.) I've avoided hitting the ground with
anything but my feet in the last week but I have managed to bang my calves
up pretty good. This evening I managed to wedge my left foot between the
crank and the spokes. Bruised and scraped but not enough to stop me from
climbing on again.

Once you put your weight on the saddle, it becomes much easier. As for
falling,
don't worry, interesting falls will happen, especially after you concluded
that
it is not possible to fall in any other way than on you feet!

Good luck and enjoy,

Jocelyn

Old July 18th 03, 02:17 AM
Klaas Bil

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:59:22 -0500, "Cubby01"
wrote:

I'm still not sure if my body should be pushing
forward or backward in the seat.

None. The sweat (sic) spot is where the forward-backward pushing is
neutral. Otherwise, shift your body position.

For what it's worth the seat is adjusted
to be pushed as far forward on the uni post as possible.

That's good as it gets the sitting location on the broader back end of
the seat. But with the short slots in the Viscount base plate it
doesn't matter much.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle"