SICK SICK SICK

Old December 17th 04, 02:48 PM

Default SICK SICK SICK

Sorry you are freezing your ass off, it is raining, flooding, whatever
is causing interuptions of ridiculous posts, downgrading abuse of
honest bike frame builders or people, etc. etc., etc. Poor baby-
boredom hurts.

Hell with this; back to my little cocoon- called a car. Roll up the
window; scare the beejesus out of the low and slow types.

Glad I sold out. No more collection, no more additions, no more free
fairings to Canada, no more free upgrades to Iowa, no more nothing.
Recumbents are a financially losing business I was in only for
enjoyment; but just like almost all hobbies- it can be dropped.
Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.

Old December 17th 04, 04:18 PM
skip

wrote in message
ups.com...
Sorry you are freezing your ass off, it is raining, flooding, whatever
is causing interuptions of ridiculous posts, downgrading abuse of
honest bike frame builders or people, etc. etc., etc. Poor baby-
boredom hurts.

Hell with this; back to my little cocoon- called a car. Roll up the
window; scare the beejesus out of the low and slow types.

Glad I sold out. No more collection, no more additions, no more free
fairings to Canada, no more free upgrades to Iowa, no more nothing.
Recumbents are a financially losing business I was in only for
enjoyment; but just like almost all hobbies- it can be dropped.
Chris Jordan
Santa Cruz, CA.

Sounds to me as if you are ready for a little rest Chris. I'm guessing your
problem is with the Santa Cruz weather. It's just too perfect - you never
get a break from it do you - it's just ride, ride, ride, all the time, every
day. The rest of us do get frequent breaks - as you said, freezing our
asses off, rain, floods, and similar such Acts of God, oops, excuse me,
let's make that Acts of Nature.

I can only suggest that you spend some time away from that cycling paradise
called Santa Cruz and join all of us in the real world in places with names
like Worthington, Rock Island County, Chicago, Toronto, etc. You've earned
and well deserve this kind of a break.

Hope you feel better soon.

skip

Old December 17th 04, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the good advice Skip. I just got a little irked with Jonny
NoBrain garbage! I was still a little upset about spray painting
flames on me, the fence, and the back tire of my TerraTrike yesterday;
everything except the carefully cut silver Mylar (Candy Apple effect) I
intended to paint.

Supposed to paint at 70 degrees or higher, and it was only 67 degrees.
Yup, that must be the root of the problem! Maybe I should head south
for a while.

Chris

Old December 17th 04, 11:14 PM
Tom Sherman

skip wrote:

I can only suggest that you spend some time away from that cycling paradise
called Santa Cruz and join all of us in the real world in places with names
like Worthington, Rock Island County, Chicago, Toronto, etc....

Who is from Toronto, Iowa?

--
Tom Sherman - Rock Island County Illinois
Tetrahedral carbon lattices are not forever.

Old December 18th 04, 02:37 AM
Tom Sherman

$kip wrote:

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

$kip wrote:

I can only suggest that you spend some time away from that cycling
paradise called Santa Cruz and join all of us in the real world in places
with names like Worthington, Rock Island County, Chicago, Toronto,
etc....

Who is from Toronto, Iowa?

Everyone has to be from somewhere, but I don't know anyone who has to be
from Toronto, Iowa.

There are alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent regulars from the other locales
mentioned, but no one from Toronto, Iowa that I am aware of.

Old December 18th 04, 03:23 AM
skip

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the good advice Skip. I just got a little irked with Jonny
NoBrain garbage! I was still a little upset about spray painting
flames on me, the fence, and the back tire of my TerraTrike yesterday;
everything except the carefully cut silver Mylar (Candy Apple effect) I
intended to paint.

Supposed to paint at 70 degrees or higher, and it was only 67 degrees.
Yup, that must be the root of the problem! Maybe I should head south
for a while.

Chris

Well I had a feeling this was all weather related. Did you manage to get
any paint on the Terra Trike (other than on the back tire)? And how does
the fence look with the new flame paint job? Looks like a pretty fast fence
I'd bet.

skip

Old December 18th 04, 07:48 AM
Edward Dolan

"skip" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Skip, I used to go out almost everyday all winter for a ride lasting up to
an hour or so, but I have given up on that this year for the first time in
over 20 years. I am starting to feel my age now and I cannot get in any
quality cycling when the temperature is much below 30 degrees. I am just too
cold all the time.

I simply can't imagine what it must be like to live in a region of the
country where it is possible to cycle all year long. I like to look at
weather maps of the country and I note that South Florida has the most
consistently ideal temperature for cycling of anywhere in the winter. My
God, it can be 80 degrees there and I am almost literally freezing to death
here in wonderful Minnesota.

My advice to young people is to find a climate that you can live in without
having to bundle up like an Eskimo. And you have got to make your move when
you are fairly young too. As you get older you find yourself trapped by one
thing or another. I would like to be able to hibernate like a bear and then
just wake up to flowers and the birds singing in the trees. Instead, I look
out my window and all is gloom and doom. When I look down my street I see a
funeral parlor at the end of it and I wonder how long it is going to be
before I check out with congestive heart failure from lack of activity.

Frankly, cycling in the winter is just too miserable. I think maybe what I
am going to have to do to get through these winter doldrums is to take up
walking for an hour every day. I think you have to do it for the sake of
your heart if for no other reason. Most elderly folks will expire of
congestive heart failure provided nothing else gets them first. Enuf of
these cheerful thoughts!

--
Best Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old December 18th 04, 01:48 PM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

Skip, I used to go out almost everyday all winter for a ride lasting up to
an hour or so, but I have given up on that this year for the first time in
over 20 years. I am starting to feel my age now and I cannot get in any
quality cycling when the temperature is much below 30 degrees. I am just too
cold all the time.

Sell off some of your rental property and buy one of these:
http://www.leitra.dk/. If a person is protected from the wind, even
moderate physical activity will produce sufficient body heat for comfort
in quite cold temperatures (such as the normal daytime winter lows in
southern Minnesota).

If the economic outlook were better, I would likely buy a Leitra myself.

I simply can't imagine what it must be like to live in a region of the
country where it is possible to cycle all year long. I like to look at
weather maps of the country and I note that South Florida has the most
consistently ideal temperature for cycling of anywhere in the winter. My
God, it can be 80 degrees there and I am almost literally freezing to death
here in wonderful Minnesota.

From the reports I have heard, the "autoforms" [1] in southern Florida
make cycling much less pleasant than it would be otherwise. The high
humidity in Florida would make cycling unpleasant much of the year.

[1] Yet another G. Danielism.