The Wrong Type of Insult!

Old October 9th 07, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike the unimaginative[_4_]

Default The Wrong Type of Insult!

While trundling very slowly (and I do mean slowly) uphill on my way home
this evening, along a quiet suburban road, riding my 'Dutch style'
roadster, wearing my work suit with my choice of urban camoflage - an flo-
orange sleveless jacket, a bloke, mid-30's, steps out in front of me - the
conversation went as follows:

bloke:"You lot really **** me off"
me (grinding to a halt): "what have I done?"
bloke: "you lot - coming out on strike at the drop of a f**ing hat"
me: "I work at the royal" (local hospital)
bloke: "well.... wearing that (points at flo-orange jacket) someone in your
house must be out on strike"
me "I bought it"
bloke "where?"
me "Aldi I think"
bloke "Well yer all f**kers"
I ride off
ROFLMAO

Beware all ye orange jacket wearers, it might be worse than being a
cyclist!!!!
Old October 9th 07, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 09/10/2007 18:40, Mike the unimaginative said,
While trundling very slowly (and I do mean slowly) uphill on my way home
this evening, along a quiet suburban road, riding my 'Dutch style'
roadster, wearing my work suit with my choice of urban camoflage - an flo-
orange sleveless jacket, a bloke, mid-30's, steps out in front of me - the
conversation went as follows:

Look on the bright side - he might decide to do the same to the next
bright red van he sees :-) Darwin's theory in action!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 9th 07, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
burtthebike

"Mike the unimaginative" wrote in message
[...]

Wonderful anecdote

Reminds me of the time I was employed by British WasteofSpace, and we were
suspended without pay by the management (?)*. All the local media,
including the BBC, refered to us suspended persons as "strikers". And it
didn't matter how many times you put them right, the next edition said
"strikers".

*the current joke during this time was that if intelligence could be
measured in height, management would be a hole in the ground.

Old October 10th 07, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Coyoteboy

[...]

Excellent, thats made my day

Reminds me of the time I was yelled at for riding two abreast while
riding immediately (3") behind my mate, oh how we laughed as he drove
off in frustration.
Old October 10th 07, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Piers Kittel

[...]

Heh.. I'm a postie but before you flame me over the strikes, I ride a Royal Mail issue bike and ride to my delivery route despite it being the furthest route away from my office, I live in the hilliest city in the UK, my bike has only 3 gears and that nearly all other posties in my office use their own car and nearly all the Royal Mail bikes are left rusting in the shed.

Anyway. Being a postie meant that I came across a spare orange hi-viz jacket which was worn, and when I got my replacement, my partner liberated the old jacket from me, as her hi-viz bike vest was not breathable and cheap and nasty, and a good quality hi-viz jacket cost a fair bit. Since taking the jacket from me meant she kept getting stopped and asked for directions, or got asked where their letters were and others! I guess I better warn her that something like what happened to you might happen to her

Cheers - Piers
Old October 10th 07, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article , Piers
Kittel
says...

Heh.. I'm a postie but before you flame me over the strikes, I ride
a Royal Mail issue bike and ride to my delivery route despite it being
the furthest route away from my office, I live in the hilliest city in
the UK, my bike has only 3 gears and that nearly all other posties in
my office use their own car and nearly all the Royal Mail bikes are
left rusting in the shed.

I think the strike makes people realise just what an important job the
posties do, and that they should probably be more appreciated than they
are (apart from the crap ones, who mostly seem to be casuals anyway -
more proof it were needed that we need to treat proper posties better to
encourage the goood ones to stay in the job).

Anyway. Being a postie meant that I came across a spare orange hi-viz
jacket which was worn, and when I got my replacement, my partner
liberated the old jacket from me, as her hi-viz bike vest was not
breathable and cheap and nasty, and a good quality hi-viz jacket cost a
fair bit. Since taking the jacket from me meant she kept getting
stopped and asked for directions, or got asked where their letters were
and others! I guess I better warn her that something like what happened
to you might happen to her

Maybe if you write 'EX' in front of the RM logos with a marker pen? :-)
Old October 10th 07, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Piers Kittel said the following on 10/10/2007 16:19:

nearly all other posties in my
office use their own car and nearly all the Royal Mail bikes are left
rusting in the shed.

Perhaps you can answer something (totally avoiding any strike issues!).
Do RM employees use their own cars to carry mail? If so, does RM pay
to insure the postie's car for business purposes or does the postie have
to pay that? (Or do they not have business use insurance at all!?!?)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 10th 07, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Piers Kittel

Paul,

Perhaps you can answer something (totally avoiding any strike issues!).
Do RM employees use their own cars to carry mail? If so, does RM pay
to insure the postie's car for business purposes or does the postie have
to pay that? (Or do they not have business use insurance at all!?!?)

Officially it's not allowed. Most posties do though, mainly because Bristol is hilly and the Royal Mail issue bike only have 3 gears. Some delivery offices covers a large area, but they sometimes get their own van. I just grin and bear it. I don't know about other cities though. Royal Mail do not refund the postie for petrol, wear & tear, insurance or anything. If the car breaks down, it's the postie's problem. If the car is involved in a crash, it's postie's problem. No-one bothers with taking out business insurance for their cars.

I choose not to use my car for the following reasons (in order)

1) Environment (although my bags gets delivered by van but then again the van do other deliveries)
2) Get fitter
3) My car's old and short journeys wears cars out faster. I'd have to buy a new car if mine wore out!
4) Don't want to risk crashing while working as my insurance would be void
5) Royal Mail has said all posties are "Underworked and overpaid". Thank you very much for calling me under worked where I've been coming in early, not taking any breaks, carrying overweight bags and using my car occasionally. I now come in on time, take my breaks, split up my bags and use the bike. I also now claim a lot of overtime

Cheers - Piers
Old October 10th 07, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd[_2_]

On 10/10/2007 18:47, Piers Kittel said,

4) Don't want to risk crashing while working as my insurance would be void

Thanks for the comprehensive answer! It was the above bit that I was
specifically wondering about - postal workers, and others, effectively
driving un-insured! I wasn't sure if RM were expecting the postie to
use their own cars or not.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old October 10th 07, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MatSav

"Paul Boyd" usenet.is.worse@plusnet wrote in message
Piers Kittel said the following on 10/10/2007 16:19:

Perhaps you can answer something (totally avoiding any strike
issues!). Do RM employees use their own cars to carry mail? If
so, does RM pay to insure the postie's car for business
purposes or does the postie have to pay that? (Or do they not
have business use insurance at all!?!?)

My brother was unfortunate enough to be involved in a collision
with a Royal Mail van, about 10 years ago. It was then he
discovered that RM were "self-insuring" - that is, they don't pay
any premiums to an underwriter, but they cover the risk
themselves with a bond.

--
MatSav

crank type? uni4life_13 Unicycling 10 November 30th 06 02:43 PM
No one recognised Nazis in the meme we now use that word to insult people who ride bicycles harbinger Australia 6 June 1st 06 02:22 PM
The one thing that couldn't go wrong, did go wrong. Blair P. Houghton Techniques 142 August 27th 05 06:58 AM
Surely this is an insult to both unicyclists and sk8ers?! s7ev0 Unicycling 31 December 20th 04 12:47 PM
H'n'Run - the final insult James Hodson UK 20 November 1st 03 05:26 PM