Which type of brake blocks?

Old April 16th 04, 05:33 PM
Iain Jones

Default Which type of brake blocks?

Not long ago I replaced both front and back brake blocks on my OCR4. Since
then they make a terrible noise when braking, but I left it because I
thought it might be because they're new and they'll bed in and quieten
down. But no, weeks on, they make a terrible scraping noise especially when
wet (as in this evening). It's the kind of noise you get off completely
worn-down blocks, when some of the metal's rubbed through. But it's clearly
not that, there's loads of wear left on them yet.

When I took my bike in for a service last week, I mentioned this to them
and the guy said they probably were the wrong type of block (didn't say
what different types there are), and he'd look at them. Next day I
collected the bike and they seemed OK but now they're noisy again.

The bike's got Rigida Vela rims (Google search doesn't give much info and
not listed on Rigida's website), and Tektro dual-pivot brakes (again,
Giant's website doesn't give much info). And very VERY stupidly, I chucked
the packets the new blocks came in :-(.

I don't want to leave this much longer cos I'm sure it's not doing my rims
any good. Any clues, anyone?

Thanks
Iain
Old April 16th 04, 05:35 PM
Iain Jones

BTW when I bought the new blocks, they were from the same shop I bought the
bike itself from, and I told them which bike they were for... I get more
wary of that shop every time I go there!
Old April 16th 04, 05:56 PM
David Nutter

Iain Jones said:

*snip*

[Scratching]

The bike's got Rigida Vela rims (Google search doesn't give much info and
not listed on Rigida's website), and Tektro dual-pivot brakes (again,
Giant's website doesn't give much info). And very VERY stupidly, I chucked
the packets the new blocks came in :-(.

I've had problems with Shimano blocks scratching the rim when wet. This also
featured a horrid scraping noise caused by little bits of aluminium peeling
off the rim and embedding in the block. The scratching occurred with both
Mavic and Rigida rims, though the problem seemed to be slightly worse with
the latter rim.

Brake performance was rubbish too, wet or dry.

I replaced the blocks with Avid Rim Wrangler V brake inserts (cantilevers
with V-Brake shoes) which are much better. Aztec/Madison blocks seem to be
widely available and though the braking performance isn't brilliant, they
don't scratch the rim. I use these pads with the 105 dual pivots on my
fixed, so far no scratching.

Regards,

-david
Old April 16th 04, 05:58 PM
Iain Jones

More info - just had a look at the brakes, the blocks are Shimano M50/T

Thanks
Iain
Old April 16th 04, 05:59 PM
David Nutter

Iain Jones said:
More info - just had a look at the brakes, the blocks are Shimano M50/T

There's your problem

Regards,

-david likes Shimano blocks not at all
Old April 16th 04, 06:09 PM
Clive George

"David Nutter" wrote in message
. ac.uk...
Iain Jones said:
More info - just had a look at the brakes, the blocks are Shimano M50/T

There's your problem

Regards,

-david likes Shimano blocks not at all

Seconded - chuck the shimano blocks ASAP.

cheers,
clive

Old April 16th 04, 06:15 PM
Jon Senior

"Clive George" wrote in message
Seconded - chuck the shimano blocks ASAP.

Interesting, I too am running a pair of Shimano M50/T blocks on both fixer
(front) and Giant OCR (rear). The latter is relatively unused at present. I
get the same scraping noise, and now I think about it... the front rim of
the fixer is showing some unusual marks. They are preferable to the crap
blocks which came with the Alongha long reach dual pivots I just fitted,
which made no discernable difference to bike speed in the wet.

I was trying to get inserts for the 105 blocks that came with the Giant, but
the LBS didn't have any originally. General consensus seems to be Kool-Stop,
but I've tried some of their stand alone (cheap - I think!) brake blocks and
was singularly unimpressed.

I too am thus looking for information on brake blocks...

Jon

Old April 16th 04, 06:26 PM
Pete Biggs

Iain Jones wrote:
Not long ago I replaced both front and back brake blocks on my OCR4.
Since then they make a terrible noise when braking, but I left it
because I thought it might be because they're new and they'll bed in
and quieten down. But no, weeks on, they make a terrible scraping
noise especially when wet (as in this evening). It's the kind of
noise you get off completely worn-down blocks, when some of the
metal's rubbed through. But it's clearly not that, there's loads of
wear left on them yet.

A certain amount of noise doesn't matter but I recommend doing the
following anyway:

Replace pads/shoes with something better, eg. Kool Stop Salmon or Dual.
See www.wiggle.co.uk . "Dura holder" will fit your brakes if you don't
already have cartridge types (but I have a pair of KS refills for sale if
you do).

Regularly inspect blocks and dig out any embedded specks of metal. Keep
rims and blocks clean by washing with water then degreasing with meths.
Occasionally give blocks a light sanding.

Only use rear brake in the wet when really necessary. Rear braking tends
to cause most wear and mess. Keep wheels true, allow a bit of extra
clearance for brake blocks at rear to cope with wheel flex.

~PB

Old April 16th 04, 06:48 PM
Pete Biggs

Jon Senior wrote:
"Clive George" wrote in message
Seconded - chuck the shimano blocks ASAP.

Interesting, I too am running a pair of Shimano M50/T blocks on both
fixer (front) and Giant OCR (rear). The latter is relatively unused
at present. I get the same scraping noise, and now I think about
it... the front rim of the fixer is showing some unusual marks. They
are preferable to the crap blocks which came with the Alongha long
reach dual pivots I just fitted, which made no discernable difference
to bike speed in the wet.

I was trying to get inserts for the 105 blocks that came with the
Giant, but the LBS didn't have any originally. General consensus
seems to be Kool-Stop, but I've tried some of their stand alone
(cheap - I think!) brake blocks and was singularly unimpressed.

My Campag Mirage dual pivots with a salmon coloured version (made with
iron oxide) of "Dura" Kool Stops are the best brakes I've ever used on any
bicycle with rim brakes. Stopping power and modulation is incredible.
They amaze me every time I use them. However, the same blocks haven't
worked half as well for me on other bikes, even with exactly the same type
of calipers and levers. Just goes to prove that brake pad type and
compound is only one small factor of braking performance.

Anyway, if you or anyone would like to try some Kool Stop Dual refills
(half salmon, half black), let me know your address and I'll post you a
pair (of half used ones). Please then either return them if don't like or
bung me £1.50 if you do. They should fit 105's.

~PB p[at]biggs[dot]tc

Old April 17th 04, 04:10 PM
Iain Jones

Thanks for the advice everyone, I never knew Shimano could be despised so
much! Has anyone told them their brake blocks are rubbish? The blocks that
were on when I bought the bike were Tektro's own, and they were pretty much
silent and much more "comfortable" in terms of controlling my speed, just
the odd screech if I pulled them too suddenly. But the new Shimanos -
there's constantly that feeling they'll lock up and throw me over the
handlebars if I pull too tight. Another observation last night was little
silver flecks on the edges of the blocks, I assume these were shaved off
the rim...

So - thanks everyone, I'll change them ASAP. Pete - email on the way.

Iain

FS: NOS Campagnolo Record Delta Brake Blocks - Set of 4 Ground Zero Marketplace 2 May 6th 04 04:29 PM
Backwards front brake? Andrew Sweetman Techniques 3 March 23rd 04 02:07 AM
VDB admits doping...? HB Racing 123 October 9th 03 09:34 PM
First road bike: braking? Alan Hoyle General 47 September 28th 03 11:40 PM
Old campy brake blocks Paul Floyd Techniques 2 September 8th 03 08:57 AM