RR: BNE lakeside crit

Old July 17th 06, 12:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rhino-x

Default RR: BNE lakeside crit

I made the short journey out to Kallangur and arrived around 40 mins
before the start. Signed on to CAT 1 and headed around the course to
see whats it like. I knew there was going to be a hilltop finish so I
scoured the climb to looks for the easiest way up. The climb rose 20
meters in just under 300 meters, so it was a little nasty but still
manageable. (for MELB readers, around 2% steeper than the climb in the
Kew Boulevard crit). The rest of the course (approx 2kms) is quite
exposed, and the wind was coming from all directions. It would be a
dog-fight, and it was the one hill that would make and break everyone.
60 minutes + 2 laps.

Five minutes before the race I check the sign-on sheet to see how many
were in the race, we only had 9 riders in CAT 1, which makes it harder
and easier. Harder meaning more work would be done by all, and easier
in that you could watch everyone.

The race started and we are straight into a fast paceline (no idea on
speeds sorry, as I only wore HR) and hit the first climb. BANG,
everyone was up the climb hard, trying to see who was who in the race.
I rolled over feeling quite happy that I bought my climbing legs to the
race, as we were all going to need them. The pace was high (really high)
for the first 20 mins as we all tried to drop one-another. At the 40min
mark we only dropped 2 people, leaving a group of 7 to hit it out in
the last 20 mins. Success came when four of us hit the climb all
mashing big ring, and hit the top with a 30 meter gap, and this was the
decisive move that bought us down to 4 riders. I briefly looked down to
the HR monitor to see it screaming 196, and I thought I was going to
pop. A huge slug of devils mouthwash (coca-cola in my bidon) got me
thinking again and I decided it was time. I hit the climb on the next
lap super-hard, wanting to hurt everyone behind, and managed to get 10
meters at the top and then sat-up and waited. I was feeling good,
exhausted, but still the legs were rocking and rolling.

The last ten mins was all cat and mouse, but the number four rider had
a mechanical at the base of the climb. He called \"CHAIN\" and we all
sat up for a lap to let him catch up. When we saw him walking, we knew
it was game time. We rode the climb again, but a little slower all
knowing the bell lap was close. It was here that I heard the most
amazing sound. I am racing in a city where I hardly know many people,
even less of these would be cyclists. I get to the top of the climb and
hear \"GO RHINO\". It was sweet, to know someone was cheering me on and
made me dig a little harder.

On the next lap and I had just sat at the front for almost 600 meters
before the base of the climb and then the two riders attack me.
Arrhh...legs hurting. One of the guys gets 30 meters and starts
storming of the front, and the other guy I just catch on the descent
and we work together to reel the leader back in. The leader is strong,
very strong, and matched every more I did all day so I knew it was
going to be tough. Me and the other guy sat-up for just a split second
to see who wanted to chase him down the most, and that small time-lag
made all the difference to the race.

Two laps to go, and the leader now had 200 meters over us two, I hit
the climb super-hard, face looking like a squashed frog and the feeling
of reflux in my mouth. I crested the climb and pulled around 50 m of the
leader, but still needed my 'friend' to help pull turns to cross the
bridge. We started to work together, him doing super hard turns on the
front, and me struggling to hold his wheel. We made an agreement that
we wanted to cross the gap, and now had a lap to do it. Second last
climb and we both rocketed up it still 150m back, and then over the
next 1.5 km we both did super hard turns, legs screaming and onset of
cramps. My 'friend' pulled me along the flat and go me the base of
climb, and just said 'get him' and I dug pretty hard. I was reeling in
the meters but it just couldn't be bridged. Crossed second, happy and
wasted. Vital stats.........Avg HR of 187 and a MAX HR of 197.

Thanks to *Bruce and Adam* for being the ones to cheer me on, it was
amazing. Lakeside is a great course, and a real challenge.

Sorry if the RR makes no sense......

RHINO

--
Rhino-x

Old July 17th 06, 05:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
adam85

Rhino-x Wrote:
[...]

cramps. My 'friend' pulled me along the flat and got me the base of
climb, and just said 'GO' and I dug pretty hard. I was reeling in the
meters but it just couldn't be bridged. Crossed second, happy and
wasted. Vital stats.........Avg HR of 187 and a MAX HR of 197.

Thanks to *Bruce and Adam* for being the ones to cheer me on, it was
amazing. Lakeside is a great course, and a real challenge.

Sorry if the RR makes no sense......

RHINO

It was good to meet you Rhino. I was glad in a way that I wasn't
riding, you rode well and looked very strong - I think I may well have
been in the hurt bag had I raced Paul, the guy who won is one of the
strongest riders in the club and he rides smart too. In fact the reason
I wasn't racing was that I cramped chasing him in a race a few weeks
back. 3 of us relatively strong guys chasing and we still couldn't
catch him! Anyhow congrats on your 2nd place, and I'm glad you enjoyed
the circuit and the racing. It's a bit different to murrarie isn't it?

I'll let you know when we're doing that big hilly ride we were talking
about.

Adam

--
adam85