The latest nonsense from Vegas

Old April 19th 04, 12:09 PM
Dane Jackson

Default The latest nonsense from Vegas

In rec.bicycles.misc David Kerber wrote:
In article ,
says...

I've had fantasies about buying a huge billboard on a busy road that
says "If your mommy talks on the cellphone while driving you to
school, she doesn't love you very much".

Think that would stir the pot a bit?

I'll contribute to that. Anybody else want to chip in?

This is one of the more beautiful ideas I've heard for a while. I think
I could stump up some cash for this one...

--
Dane "works for cellphone provider" Jackson
"The bigger they are, the harder they hit."
Old April 21st 04, 05:08 AM
Trudi Marrapodi

Know what I would love to see?

A public-service ad that would show this:

The scene is a workshop in a garage. A man is shown carefully guiding a
flat piece of wood through a buzz saw (he's wearing goggles to protect
himself from flying chips, of course).

Suddenly, the sound of a ringing cell phone is heard. Rather than stop
guiding the wood through the saw, the man simply reaches out with one hand
and picks up the phone. He hits a button. "Hello? Yeah, I'm cutting some
boards for those shelves Helen keeps bugging me to make. How about
you?..." He continues to guide the wood (shakily) with one hand, tucking
the phone under his chin momentarily to sip from a can of soda nearby,
then picks it back out from his chin, then looks away to various other
places as he continues to talk and saw: "Yeah, did you see that in the
paper? Here's what it says..." He tucks the phone under his chin again,
picks up the paper and reads from it into the phone while continuing to
guide the wood with the other hand. "Yeah, can you beat that?..." In the
background we hear two kids starting to fight. "Jessica, Phillip, stop
that right now or I'm going to tell your mother--What are you doing? Come
over here..." The kids come running around the workbench, near the saw,
squealing about something, while he attempts to referee the argument.
"Excuse me a sec, Al...now, what's going on, you two?"

These lines are superimposed on the scene:

If you wouldn't try to do all this while you were using a dangerous piece
of equipment...
....why do you do it when you're driving?
--
Trudi

"Boy, there sure is a lot of tension around here tonight. It's like a Joan Crawford movie."
Old April 21st 04, 08:19 PM
Marlene Blanshay

"Trudi Marrapodi" wrote in message
Know what I would love to see?

A public-service ad that would show this:

The scene is a workshop in a garage. A man is shown carefully guiding a
flat piece of wood through a buzz saw (he's wearing goggles to protect
himself from flying chips, of course).

These lines are superimposed on the scene:

If you wouldn't try to do all this while you were using a dangerous piece
of equipment...
...why do you do it when you're driving?
--
Trudi

There was a skit like that on tv, the ad where the woman gets a cell phone
from her unsmiling father, and then he calls her. As she says, "I love you
dad", she loses control of the car and goes over the cliff. It was a takeoff
of that ad for some cell phone company, I can't recall which.

The other day I was crosssing at an intersection (on foot) and a woman
stopped- just barely. SHe was driving a Lexus, and while doing so was
blabbing on her phone and smoking a cigarette!