need spring-energy-storage mechanism

Old May 31st 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech,sci.electronics.design,alt.horology
Don Lancaster[_2_]

Default need spring-energy-storage mechanism

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Revision wrote:

Start at the beginning. You have a weight on top of a mountain, how
do you get it down the mountain?

Throw it off and let it roll down if you can.

Yeah, maybe a track... stuff the goods in a ball and roll it down. Or a
catapult.

Don't forget to add enough cats to the load in the "Cat-A-Pult" to
make sure it lands right side up.

What happens if you put butter on the top side of the cat?

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster voice phone: (928)428-4073
Synergetics 3860 West First Street Box 809 Thatcher, AZ 85552
rss: http://www.tinaja.com/whtnu.xml email:

Please visit my GURU's LAIR web site at
http://www.tinaja.com
Old May 31st 07, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech,sci.electronics.design,alt.horology
Frank Adam

On Wed, 30 May 2007 17:28:11 -0700, Don Lancaster
wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Revision wrote:

Start at the beginning. You have a weight on top of a mountain, how
do you get it down the mountain?

Throw it off and let it roll down if you can.

Yeah, maybe a track... stuff the goods in a ball and roll it down. Or a
catapult.

Don't forget to add enough cats to the load in the "Cat-A-Pult" to
make sure it lands right side up.

What happens if you put butter on the top side of the cat?

My Shepheard will pick it up and carry it up and down the mountain.
Ok, you will have to install a new cat after each trip.. but that's
probably good to keep the work safety authorities happy.

--

Regards, Frank
Old May 31st 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech,sci.electronics.design,alt.horology
Michael A. Terrell

Don Lancaster wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Revision wrote:

Start at the beginning. You have a weight on top of a mountain, how
do you get it down the mountain?

Throw it off and let it roll down if you can.

Yeah, maybe a track... stuff the goods in a ball and roll it down. Or a
catapult.

Don't forget to add enough cats to the load in the "Cat-A-Pult" to
make sure it lands right side up.

What happens if you put butter on the top side of the cat?

It will be too slick to launch with the "Cat-A-Pult", and it'll leave
yet ANOTHER slick cat mess where it hits the ground. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old May 31st 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech,sci.electronics.design
N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)

Dear Don Lancaster:

"Don Lancaster" wrote in message
What happens if you put butter on the top side of
the cat?

Is the cat toasted? This might very well split the cosmos in
half...

David A. Smith

Old May 31st 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech,sci.electronics.design,alt.horology
Homer J Simpson

"Fortitudo Dei" wrote in message
oups.com...

Start at the beginning. You have a weight on top of a mountain, how
do you get it down the mountain?

Funicular.

The famous Denniston Incline in New Zealand was a classic case of
putting this into action

http://tinyurl.com/2pxf3l
http://tinyurl.com/2gx6ph

As were many of the canal systems - including the Panama Canal, the Falkirk
Wheel and the Anderton boat-lift, using water instead of wire.

Old May 31st 07, 08:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech,sci.electronics.design,alt.horology
Paul Burke

Homer J Simpson wrote:

As were many of the canal systems - including the Panama Canal, the Falkirk
Wheel and the Anderton boat-lift, using water instead of wire.

The Falkirk Wheel and the Anderton Lift are ares, not weres. Although
the FW (opened as recently as 2002) takes advantage of balancing by
opposed caissons, the energy to raise or lower (replacing losses) is
electric. The Anderton Lift was never counterbalanced, in either
original hydraulic form, kid- life electric form, or its current
restored hydraulic form.

There were many counterbalanced inclines though, particularly on
railways. One not far from here, at Chapel-en-le-Frith on the Peak
Forest Tramroad, used trains of wagons loaded with limestone to haul up
trains of empties from 1796 to the 1920s, with only a brake drum to
control the descent. For the rest of the trip, the trains ran by gravity
downhill, horse powered uphill. The horses stood in a wagon at the rear
of the train on the downhill trip.

Paul Burke
Old May 31st 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech,sci.electronics.design,alt.horology
Rich Grise

On Wed, 30 May 2007 17:47:25 -0400, default wrote:
On Wed, 30 May 2007 20:49:02 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:

I'd pay $100.00 to see somebody tape a piece of buttered toast to the
back of a cat. ;-)

I'd have no problem covering the #100 - it'd win $10,000 on "America's
Stupidest Videos". ;-)

You'd lose, on both counts. I'd anaesthetize the cat.

I doubt if unconscious cats land on their feet; I bet this one didn't:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-sC-vSIXk

Cheers!
Rich

Old May 31st 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech,sci.electronics.design,alt.horology
Rich Grise

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Revision wrote:

Start at the beginning. You have a weight on top of a mountain, how
do you get it down the mountain?

Throw it off and let it roll down if you can.

Yeah, maybe a track... stuff the goods in a ball and roll it down. Or a
catapult.

Don't forget to add enough cats to the load in the "Cat-A-Pult" to
make sure it lands right side up.

What happens if you put butter on the top side of the cat?

Why not do the experiment, and show us the video? :-

Cheers!
Rich

Old June 1st 07, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech,sci.electronics.design,alt.horology

On 29 May, 10:53, wrote:
i think i need a spring energy-storage mechanism. Maybe a very large
wind-up clock motor?

the scenario is: a slightly-valuable commodity originates at the top
of a mountain. More or less a bushel at a time. there is an existing
paved road. the commodity fetches a price, but not enough to pay for
very much transport.

the concept is to use a cargo bicycle, maybe with trailer, to carry
the items down to the bottom of the mountain, "winding up the clock"
on the spring-storage.

at the bottom, the load is transferred to buyers. the now very-much-
lighter bicycle is to be driven UP the mountain, using the stored
energy.

Any cat which will catch the mice is fine with me. I'm just thinking
that anything involving electricity, hydraulic fluids, etc, will be
too involved, and losses throguh two conversions. Capacitor storage
might be feasible, if there's high quality ones being sold. The charge
doesn't need to held for long amounts of time. Down the hill, then
back up.

Ideally, this will be a ready-to-go or mostly ready-to-go
commercial item. I am rather mechanically/electrically handy. But
this is business, not pleasure. Time spent should be cost-effective.

A 2 pound flywheel can store 4 man-hours of energy at about 80%
efficiency. This is a 5X better power to weight ratio than batteries.
(still only a fraction of that of gasoline).

Old June 1st 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,sci.physics,sci.engr.mech,sci.electronics.design,alt.horology
Donald

wrote:
On 29 May, 10:53, wrote:

[...]

Interesting calculation, where did you find it ?

Where you someone buy a 2 pound flywheel ?

donald