Coker question

Old February 28th 07, 06:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Default Coker question

uni57 wrote:
What are your thoughts regarding a KH seat? The handle is not really
big enough to push down on.

Once upon a time, there were no handles. Before that there was an even
scarier time when there were no bumpers! But even in those days we
learned to hold onto the seat. First for stability when riding fast or
hard, and later to take some weight off on those longer rides. You had
to kind of jam your hand close to your crotch, which looked worse to
non-riders than today's holding of a seat handle. When I got my first
Miyata with the handle/bumper I became spoiled immediately!

So a KH handle is something, which is better than nothing, but for lots
of pressing down, a bigger handle will work better.

For GeorgeWBush, I ride everything. I have ridden unicycles with wheels
from 11/16" up to 63.5". I have a 45" big wheel. Here's me and my
Coker:
http://unicycling.smugmug.com/gallery/2457227#130021053

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old February 28th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

uni57 wrote:
What are your thoughts regarding a KH seat? The handle is not really
big enough to push down on.

Depending on the riding conditions, I often keep my hand on the handle
just for emergencies -- sudden acceleration (usually due to the wheel
slowing down suddenly because of hitting a bump or depression, or
sloppiness due to fatigue, or both) or deceleration (something gets in
your way) or bumpiness. In these cases, I pull up on the (KH) handle.
I love the seat and I like the handle -- it's just not made for putting
weight on the handle.

Maybe I've got small hands, but I find the KH handle big enough for
most riding. I rode my first 500km Unitour (across Vietnam/Cambodia) on
a KH Seat (the first brick version), and the handle was big enough for
me to rest both hands on. I also used it on my first 100mile ride and
I spent a lot of time standing up with most of my weight resting on the
handle. Admittedly something like a GB4 handle works better, but the
KH isn't bad.

--
GizmoDuck

Just for fun, let's spam this thread:
http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopicp-1203464.html#1203464

Old February 28th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

GizmoDuck wrote:
My hand is ALWAYs on the handle, whether I'm riding 100m or 100miles.
Or at least one of them. For me, having no hands on the handle would
be like riding a bike with no hands. Fun, for a while, but not very
efficient.

It helps spread your weight and gives you extra stability at speed.

I agree 100%.

--
unisk8r
unisk8r's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4660

Old February 28th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

I have an old Miyata saddle on my Coker, still with 22.2mm seatpost, but
converted to an airseat. I rarely use the handle. If I'm powering up a
really (and I mean REALLY) steep hill I resort to the handle using one
hand. If I want to relieve arterial pressure on a long ride I may place
both palms on the handle to push up for awhile. For the rare times I
ride offroad I frequently grab the handle but only briefly. I also use
the handle for hopping up curbs or stairs or riding down stairs.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

Old February 28th 07, 09:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thejdw

uni57 wrote:

[image:
http://www.photo57.com/postattachmen..._DSCF2245.jpg]

And here is 'another picture'
(http://www.newyorkunicycle.com/pics/BobC_Uni_6.jpg) of him. Again,
his hands are out for balance, not on the handle.

he should try that in wet weather

--
thejdw

dunawan wrote:
why are koxx one unicycles so costly???
forrestunifreak wrote:
They are expensive because they use only the finest soft drink cans.

2 unispins landed!
don't follow Jesus, follow me!

thejdw's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13230

Old February 28th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

Tim Morin wrote:
I ve been ridin a 36 for about 5-6 months, off and on. I'm starting to
notice that my hand is almost always on my handle, whereas on my 24, i
rarely use my handle. Is this normal to almost always hold the handle,
or is it something i should learn not to do? Advice/tips?

Nearly all of my riding to date has been on a 29er, and I hardly used
the handle much at all. Probably less than 10% on long rides, and less
for short stuff.

I've recently bought a new Nimbus 36, and I really was in two minds
about getting the T7 handle with it, but in the end decided that as an
accessory mount, it was probably worth it. Well ,within minutes of
taking it out for the first time, my left hand just seemed to be on it
all the time. I've done around 60 miles now, and I'd say that it's
probably gripped nearly 90% of the time.

Since I got it a few weeks ago, I've noticed that I'm using the KH
style handle on my 29er much much more. Both pushing down to ease the
pressure, and pulling up to get a bit more power to the cranks.

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

Old February 28th 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
thayr

johnfoss wrote:
Once upon a time, there were no handles. Before that there was an even
scarier time when there were no bumpers!

And ONCE UPON A TIME there wasn't even a wheel!
[image: http://thumbs.photo.net/photo/657977-sm.jpg]

--
thayr
thayr's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8957

Old February 28th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

thayr wrote:
And ONCE UPON A TIME there wasn't even a wheel!
[image: http://thumbs.photo.net/photo/657977-sm.jpg]

Back when they used CRT monitors? Jeeez, that must have been a
looooong time ago!

STM

Old February 28th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
DustinSchaap

GizmoDuck wrote:
My hand is ALWAYs on the handle, whether I'm riding 100m or 100miles.
Or at least one of them. For me, having no hands on the handle would
be like riding a bike with no hands. Fun, for a while, but not very
efficient.

It helps spread your weight and gives you extra stability at speed.

Same, even when I'm riding without my custom handles one hand or both
hands, depending on the terrain is always on the (KH) handle, going
uphill or downhill on a MUni will usually have just one hand on the
handle, on my coker usually 2 hands, though I think with the KH handle
I would only have one hand on.

GizmoDuck wrote:
Maybe I've got small hands, but I find the KH handle big enough for most
riding.

I've got pretty big hands and I can easily ride with the KH handles,
only problem for me is that they're so close to the saddle that it
makes it less comfortable to ride than with handles that are farther
away. For me even the T7 is too close to the saddle for road riding.

--
DustinSchaap

FOUNDER OF EENWIEL.NL (\"HTTP://WWW.EENWIEL.NL\")

Old March 1st 07, 04:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tim Morin

harper wrote:
I have an old Miyata saddle on my Coker, still with 22.2mm seatpost, but
converted to an airseat. I rarely use the handle. If I'm powering up a
really (and I mean REALLY) steep hill I resort to the handle using one
hand. If I want to relieve arterial pressure on a long ride I may place
both palms on the handle to push up for awhile. For the rare times I
ride offroad I frequently grab the handle but only briefly. I also use
the handle for hopping up curbs or stairs or riding down stairs.

I rarely use my handle when riding my 24, and I'm very comfortable and
nimble riding up and down.... so it's good to hear you say that it's
the same for you on a coker (i assume you're talkin about a coker). I
guess I have to ride it more to find my comfort zones... ahhh
shuckks... more riding.

--
Tim Morin
Tim Morin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11002

Coker question siafirede Unicycling 9 October 29th 05 01:19 AM
Coker question trials_uni Unicycling 0 October 28th 05 09:04 PM
Coker Question tylercox Unicycling 25 March 28th 05 05:52 AM
Coker building question MuniTune Unicycling 2 January 14th 05 10:20 PM
Coker question? Krashin'Kenny Unicycling 8 November 16th 03 05:38 PM