cocker vs bike

Old February 27th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maxcarriere

Default cocker vs bike

DO NOT TELL ME TO USE THE SEACH FEATURE ! Alright the question
simply is.. can someone on a cocker keep up or even win vs a bike on a
road ? Im not talking about a pro biker.. I mean a ok cocker'er vs a
normal biker. Could the coker win ? If not, would a geared one do the
thing ? thanks.

-max

--
maxcarriere
maxcarriere's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13867

Old February 27th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni.rider.13

maxcarriere wrote:
DO NOT TELL ME TO USE THE SEACH FEATURE !

I assume you don't want us to tell you to use the sea*_r_*ch feature
either?

--
uni.rider.13

Some people call me nuts for riding, other people call me no
nuts.

My 'Gallery!!!!!!!!!!!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/y3k57x)

Hey!!! Go and see my new website. 'unicycleaustin.741.com'
(http://unicycleaustin.741.com/index.html)
uni.rider.13's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13011

Old February 27th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rustycogs

I am just an average joe bike rider. My average road speed is 22mph over
50 miles, 20mph over 100 miles and close to 28mph over 5 miles, all
under 3000 feet of elevation gain. So can a uni go that fast? I will be
learning to ride a uni this week so I can't comment.

Rusty

PS

Did you try the search ........

--
rustycogs
rustycogs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14420

Old February 27th 07, 10:32 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

maxcarriere wrote:
DO NOT TELL ME TO USE THE SEACH FEATURE ! Alright the question
simply is.. can someone on a cocker keep up or even win vs a bike on a
road ? Im not talking about a pro biker.. I mean a ok cocker'er vs a
normal biker. Could the coker win ? If not, would a geared one do the
thing ? thanks.

-max

I'm still getting to grips with my new 36er, but I can say that riding
through London on a 29" wheel it is not unusual to pass other cyclists.
I know that the standard and fitness of commuters varies a lot, and I
normally get overtaken by more than I over take, but even so I'm not
that much slower than the 'average' rider.

I live with a guy that has been riding his bike in to work for over a
year now, and he still takes longer to do almost the same journey. Ok,
so he works about half a mile further away, but he also chooses to take
the cycle path and quiet roads route home, and always stops at red
lights, and doesn't arrive home totally knackered. But, still, he's a
reasonably fit guy* and over 8 miles I'm better off.

Just wait until I get some short cranks and a bit more practice on the
new Nimbus...

STM

* Ok, now just because I said I live with him, don't assume that I mean
he's fit in -that -kind of way!

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the other cyclist that commute aren't
racing. I'm -always -racing

--
semach.the.monkey
semach.the.monkey's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12078

Old February 27th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ThisGuyIKnow

maxcarriere wrote:
DO NOT TELL ME TO USE THE SEACH FEATURE ! Alright the question
simply is.. can someone on a cocker keep up or even win vs a bike on a
road ? Im not talking about a pro biker.. I mean a ok cocker'er vs a
normal biker. Could the coker win ? If not, would a geared one do the
thing ? thanks.

-max

On average, no.

If you're out with friends who are on bikes and they ride a bit slow
and you ride fast you can stay together, but when I go out for a ride
on the bike paths I rarely overtake bikes.

In a flat out race where you're both trying to go fast, the bike would
almost always win. And if there is a lot of downhill and you aren't
going to glide down it, the bike will ALWAYS win. If it's a lot of
uphill you might have a shot.

--
ThisGuyIKnow
ThisGuyIKnow's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10203

Old February 27th 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

rustycogs wrote:
I am just an average joe bike rider. My average road speed is 22mph over
50 miles, 20mph over 100 miles

When you look at how many people ride bikes, the fact that you know
your average speed for a 100 mile trip, I would say that puts you a peg
or two above 'Average Joe'. In percentage terms, I'd guess that less
than 5% of cyclist go on 50+ mile jaunts.

However, to put things in to context, between 20 and 45* miles on my
29"er, I average between 10 and 11 mph. I'd hope to be in the 14-15
mph bracket on my Coker, once I'm more comfortable with it.

STM

* my maximum distance in one ride to date

Old February 27th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rustycogs

semach.the.monkey wrote:
the fact that you know your average speed for a 100 mile trip, I would
say that puts you a peg or two above 'Average Joe'.

STM

Point taken, I guess I ment as far as speed, I am nothing special. I
have a KH24 arriving tomorrow and plan on getting a Coker by summers
end. This is my first real attempt at a uni but I have this wild hair
up my arse to ride a century next summer on a uni. I would love
14-15mph I was planning on 10-12mph.

Rusty

Old February 27th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

I have passed people on bikes on my 29er. I've even passed people on
bikes on my 24". But given reasonably equivalent rider strengths, a
bike will significantly outperform a unicycle on any terrain.

--
tholub

Old February 27th 07, 11:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tim Morin

I don't do much riding on the streets, but I do ride the coker in the
trails. I smoke by bikers often. And I rarely see them again on my
ride (which means they aren't able to catch up. This is with 175mm
cranks, so I'd imagine that with some shorter cranks, a 36 wheel oughta
be able to go pretty friggin fast.

--
Tim Morin
Tim Morin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11002

Old February 28th 07, 12:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rustycogs

People ride for different reasons so here is my statement based on what
I have read;

two riders of equal desire and abilities, the bike will always win.

man law