Coker question

Old February 28th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tim Morin

Default Coker question

I ve been ridin a 36 for about 5-6 months, off and on. I'm starting to
notice that my hand is almost always on my handle, whereas on my 24, i
rarely use my handle. Is this normal to almost always hold the handle,
or is it something i should learn not to do? Advice/tips?

--
Tim Morin
Tim Morin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11002

Old February 28th 07, 03:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

when I am riding my coker my hand is always handle as well, but when im
on my trials, my hands are usually free.

I dont think its bad.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

Old February 28th 07, 03:37 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chrashing

I don't know what's normal, but since I put the T7 handle on my Nimbus I
keep my hands on the handles.

Riding with my hands on the handle seems a little more difficult than
not. I've always wanted to have something to with my hands while I
ride, and smoking seemed like a bad idea. I'm hoping this summer to be
able to do banked circles with my hands on the handle. Also imagine
using the handles looks less circus-y.

--
Chrashing

Regards,
Ken ... a recreational unicyclist... Please wear a helmet!
Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501

Old February 28th 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni57

This relates mostly to Ken's comment about banked turns...

Andrew (HCR) told me not to use the handle when carving tight, leaning
turns. I think you need your arms for correcting any balance issues
(especially when pushing it to the limit of the grip of the tire). By
the way, I'm not good at carving turns -- I'm just saying what he told
me when he saw me practicing turns holding the handle.

Here is a picture of HCR. (no, he didn't lose a hand in a bad unicycle
accident)

[image:
http://www.photo57.com/postattachmen..._DSCF2245.jpg]

And here is 'another picture'
(http://www.newyorkunicycle.com/pics/BobC_Uni_6.jpg) of him. Again,
his hands are out for balance, not on the handle.

--
uni57

20 GOTO 10
uni57's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2085

Old February 28th 07, 05:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Wow, im gonna have to practice some turns like that one my coker. =p

Also looks like he is using a steel rim, is that correct?

Old February 28th 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Yes, you definitely want both hands free if you're going to turn as
hard, and as sharp as (Andy D). Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with
using the handle. That's what it's there for! The more you use the
handle, the more weight you're probably taking off your crotch. This
makes a difference on those long rides!

Now Andy just needs a package in his (non-) hand to make him look like
a one-wheeled, hardcore UPS delivery guy!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old February 28th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GeorgeWBush

John do you ride a coker?

Or do you just walk the wheel on your 26 all day

--
GeorgeWBush
GeorgeWBush's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/14285

Old February 28th 07, 06:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

My hand is ALWAYs on the handle, whether I'm riding 100m or 100miles.
Or at least one of them. For me, having no hands on the handle would
be like riding a bike with no hands. Fun, for a while, but not very
efficient.

It helps spread your weight and gives you extra stability at speed.

--
GizmoDuck

Just for fun, let's spam this thread:
http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopicp-1203464.html#1203464

Old February 28th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Kinda like this? =p

18161

|Filename: Andrew_HCR_DSCF2245.jpeg |

Old February 28th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni57

GizmoDuck wrote:
My hand is ALWAYs on the handle

It helps spread your weight and gives you extra stability at speed.

What are your thoughts regarding a KH seat? The handle is not really
big enough to push down on.

Depending on the riding conditions, I often keep my hand on the handle
just for emergencies -- sudden acceleration (usually due to the wheel
slowing down suddenly because of hitting a bump or depression, or
sloppiness due to fatigue, or both) or deceleration (something gets in
your way) or bumpiness. In these cases, I pull up on the (KH) handle.
I love the seat and I like the handle -- it's just not made for putting
weight on the handle.

Coker question siafirede Unicycling 9 October 29th 05 01:19 AM
Coker question trials_uni Unicycling 0 October 28th 05 09:04 PM
Coker Question tylercox Unicycling 25 March 28th 05 05:52 AM
Coker building question MuniTune Unicycling 2 January 14th 05 10:20 PM
Coker question? Krashin'Kenny Unicycling 8 November 16th 03 05:38 PM