Best HRM for the price

Old July 31st 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Cox

Default Best HRM for the price

I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the best
bang for the buck.

Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for them.

Thanks for any input.

As a side note, I have had a Timex before that I liked, as well as a ECG5
that seemed to be pretty good.

Phil

Old August 1st 07, 02:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Warner[_2_]

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 08:39:09 -0700, Phil Cox wrote:

I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
technology.

Are your friends faster and stronger than you? My problem with them is that
everyone I ride with who uses a HRM is fatter and slower than me, so
clearly they have a negative effect.
Old August 1st 07, 08:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

In article ,
"Phil Cox" wrote:

I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the best
bang for the buck.

Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for them.

Thanks for any input.

For general fitness, just ride long and hard. You really don't need a
HRM.

HRM and Power Meters are useful to essential if you are racing where you
need to know exactly how far you are from the red zone. For general
fitness riding, even if you want to target the fat loosing zone, you
can pretty much tell based on your physical state of exertion. No need
to be so precise.

But if you just want to buy a gadget to play with, then go ahead.
Old August 1st 07, 10:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donga

--

.... and he said he did. Polar CS100 is pretty good.

Old August 1st 07, 10:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Artoi wrote:
In article ,
"Phil Cox" wrote:

I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the best
bang for the buck.

Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for them.

Thanks for any input.

For general fitness, just ride long and hard. You really don't need a
HRM.

HRM and Power Meters are useful to essential if you are racing where you
need to know exactly how far you are from the red zone. For general
fitness riding, even if you want to target the fat loosing zone, you
can pretty much tell based on your physical state of exertion. No need
to be so precise.

A good working HRM can be as cheap as 30 euro. So there is no need not
to be so precise.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)
Old August 1st 07, 12:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

Artoi wrote:
In article ,
"Phil Cox" wrote:

[...]

True. But the point is, you don't need it to get good training.

If one rides with a bunch, the pace will be primarily be dictated by
the group. If he really want to train based on HRM or PM, then one needs
to ride solo and ride at a HR specific pace. Otherwise it's a bit of a
waste. I just hate seeing people buying a gadget and then seeing the
same in a landfill in 6 months time. Our environment doesn't need that
any more.
Old August 1st 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman

Artoi wrote:
In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

Artoi wrote:
In article ,
"Phil Cox" wrote:

[...]

You are never in front?

If he really want to train based on HRM or PM, then one needs
to ride solo and ride at a HR specific pace. Otherwise it's a bit of a
waste.

No it isn't.

I just hate seeing people buying a gadget and then seeing the
same in a landfill in 6 months time. Our environment doesn't need that
any more.

Wow..I think you have to worry about a million other thinks first.

Lou

--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)
Old August 1st 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alex

On Jul 31, 11:39 am, "Phil Cox" wrote:
I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the best
bang for the buck.

Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for them.

Thanks for any input.

As a side note, I have had a Timex before that I liked, as well as a ECG5
that seemed to be pretty good.

What features do you need? A basic unit can be had for under $50.
More
features add to the price. You need to know what you need first.
Then you
can shop for a unit.
---------------------
Alex

Old August 1st 07, 07:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jul 31, 10:39 am, "Phil Cox" wrote:
I am looking at getting a HRM to help with training. I have a couple of
friends who use the Edge 305. Seems like overkill, but what a cool piece of
technology. I am trying to get recomendations on HRM's that provide the best
bang for the buck.

Note that I want it for general fitness, I do not plan on racing, but I do
charity rides (longest is a 24 hr ride), so I need to be in shape for them.

Thanks for any input.

As a side note, I have had a Timex before that I liked, as well as a ECG5
that seemed to be pretty good.

Phil

I have one made by CardioSport that shows 0 heart rate when near power
lines. Presumably the newer models with digital connection or
something between the strap and the watch do not cutout when near
power lines. Something to check.

As for using it to train, not really. As a toy, yes.

Heart rate is not a very good indicator of training or even effort.
Many things such as dehydration, time of day, heat/humidity of the
environment, etc. affect heart rate. Heart rate is a general in the
ballpark aid. Of course in the ballpark means anything from an inside
the ballpark homerun to a flyball pop out to the catcher. Lot of
difference.

To train, you need a plan. Variety of books discuss this so you can
get a decent general plan. Then you need to execute the plan. If it
calls for hard interval work 2 days a week, you have to do it. You
can't ride along with your buddies. If it calls for a rest day of
easy pedaling, you can't ride a medium-hard pace with your buddies.
If you are serious about training, getting the most benefit for time
spent, you have to train by yourself most days. You can throw in a
group ride once a week if it fits into the training plan. But most
group riding is just recreational riding time. Not training time.
You more or less know if you are riding easy, medium, or hard without
a heart rate monitor.

Nashbar has heart rate monitors from $19.95 on up. Free shipping
right now. How much more bang for your buck do you want.

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?s...art%20Monitors

Old August 2nd 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Artoi

In article ,
Lou Holtman wrote:

Artoi wrote:
In article ,

If one rides with a bunch, the pace will be primarily be dictated by
the group.

You are never in front?

Given OP's experience, I suspect he is more likely to be primarily a
middle of the bunch rider.

If he really want to train based on HRM or PM, then one needs
to ride solo and ride at a HR specific pace. Otherwise it's a bit of a
waste.

No it isn't.

Well, I guess there's different level of efficiency. If efficiency isn't
so high up in the list of priorities, then the precision of a HRM isn't
really justified.

I just hate seeing people buying a gadget and then seeing the
same in a landfill in 6 months time. Our environment doesn't need that
any more.

Wow..I think you have to worry about a million other thinks first.

Every little bit matters. :P

Best uni/best price shadow Unicycling 2 June 22nd 07 04:55 AM
The Price They'll Pay For IGF-1 Abuse B. Lafferty Racing 10 March 27th 06 12:43 AM
Jim Price Pete Biggs UK 4 November 27th 05 12:08 PM
New DX Price e39m5 Unicycling 8 November 14th 05 03:48 AM