Pedal reflectors

Old October 21st 10, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_3_]

Default Pedal reflectors

On 20/10/2010 14:30, Clive George wrote:
On 20/10/2010 11:58, Mr. Benn wrote:
"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Mr. Benn wrote:

Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal
reflectors is "controversial" and used this justification for
delaying someone's post.

Who gives a ****?

Probably the most boring thread in decades.

--
Paul - xxx

I have just realised that my pedals don't have reflectors on them!

Quite common. You have various choices :

Be a safe cyclist, and make sure you've got sufficient other lighting to
ensure the lack of reflectors isn't a problem. This isn't hard at all,
and you'd probably be doing that anyway.

Be a law-abiding cyclist, and get some pedals which are legal, if
necessary ditching the nice clipless ones currently being used. After
all, obeying the law is the most important thing, not safety.

I'd go for the first...

You can get clipless pedals that are designed to accept reflectors:

http://tinyurl.com/3az5858
Old October 22nd 10, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Adam Lea wrote:

You can get clipless pedals that are designed to accept reflectors:

http://tinyurl.com/3az5858

Indeed, and the first ATACs I bought (ten years ago?) came with a
plastic horse-shoe-shaped affair that fitted around the body and
mounted reflectors. Reflectors on clipless pedals is not a difficult
problem to solve, but there's apparently no will to make them
available amongst manufacturers, presumably because there's no demand
from consumers.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old October 23rd 10, 07:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Derek C

On Oct 22, 10:20*pm, Ian Smith wrote:
On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Adam Lea wrote:

*You can get clipless pedals that are designed to accept reflectors:

*http://tinyurl.com/3az5858

Indeed, and the first ATACs I bought (ten years ago?) came with a
plastic horse-shoe-shaped affair that fitted around the body and
mounted reflectors. *Reflectors on clipless pedals is not a difficult
problem to solve, but there's apparently no will to make them
available amongst manufacturers, presumably because there's no demand
from consumers.

regards, * Ian SMith
--

As so many cyclists don't carry working lights at night, pedal
reflectors going up and down are about the only thing you can see of

Derek C
Old October 23rd 10, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Ian Smith wrote:

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Adam Lea wrote:

You can get clipless pedals that are designed to accept reflectors:

http://tinyurl.com/3az5858

Indeed, and the first ATACs I bought (ten years ago?) came with a
plastic horse-shoe-shaped affair that fitted around the body and
mounted reflectors. Reflectors on clipless pedals is not a difficult
problem to solve, but there's apparently no will to make them
available amongst manufacturers, presumably because there's no demand
from consumers.

Which seems odd, given that such compliance is legally required!

tom

--
Well parse this, you little markup asshole. -- The Parable of the
Languages
Old October 24th 10, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 21:17:07 +0100
Tom Anderson wrote:

Reflectors on clipless pedals is not a
difficult problem to solve, but there's apparently no will to make
them available amongst manufacturers, presumably because there's no
demand from consumers.

Which seems odd, given that such compliance is legally required!

ISTR that bikes intended for off-road or competition use are
specifically excluded from the regs, so that's probably the get-out
that sellers are relying on.

Old October 24th 10, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 21:17:07 +0100, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Ian Smith wrote:

On Thu, 21 Oct 2010, Adam Lea wrote:

You can get clipless pedals that are designed to accept reflectors:

http://tinyurl.com/3az5858

Indeed, and the first ATACs I bought (ten years ago?) came with a
plastic horse-shoe-shaped affair that fitted around the body and
mounted reflectors. Reflectors on clipless pedals is not a difficult
problem to solve, but there's apparently no will to make them
available amongst manufacturers, presumably because there's no demand
from consumers.

Which seems odd, given that such compliance is legally required!

Only after sunrise and before sunset. If you only ride in daylight,
you don't require any lamps or reflectors (at least, to RVLR, and I
don't know of a requirement anywhere else).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old October 24th 10, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Sun, 24 Oct 2010, Ian Smith wrote:
On Sat, 23 Oct 2010, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 22 Oct 2010, Ian Smith wrote:

Indeed, and the first ATACs I bought (ten years ago?) came with
a plastic horse-shoe-shaped affair that fitted around the body
and mounted reflectors. Reflectors on clipless pedals is not a
difficult problem to solve, but there's apparently no will to
make them available amongst manufacturers, presumably because
there's no demand from consumers.

Which seems odd, given that such compliance is legally required!

Only after sunrise and before sunset.

That's backwards, obv. And I read it twice before sending to make
sure I'd got it right. D'oh. I blame it on the legislation, which
lists when you don't need lights or reflectors, rather than when you
do, which is the context here.

If you only ride in daylight, you don't require any lamps or
reflectors (at least, to RVLR, and I don't know of a requirement
anywhere else).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
|/ \|

SPD Pedal reflectors Paul Boyd[_2_] UK 10 December 30th 07 08:32 PM
pedal reflectors Adam Lea UK 45 July 21st 07 11:09 PM
Pedal Reflectors - where from? Josey UK 24 September 9th 06 12:41 PM
Pedal Reflectors in the UK - a little off topic Pete Bradbury Mountain Biking 5 July 2nd 06 10:51 PM
Reflectors and the Law Mark Thompson UK 27 February 17th 06 11:51 AM