To cycle is to live dangerously...[

Old October 31st 17, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default To cycle is to live dangerously...[

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 9:44:39 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/31/2017 9:35 AM, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 1:07:53 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 12:47:01 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 9:32:05 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 8:51:55 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 7:09:00 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 9:59:00 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 12:00:37 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 8:36:50 PM UTC, wrote:

The White Anglo Saxon majority loved her so much that the government funded Planned Parenthood which are almost entirely in or on the fringes of minority neighborhoods to kill off those that they see not fit to live.

The vast majority of the abortions today are of Black and Hispanic children. Planned Parenthood is an outright white-supremacist organization. The feminists who lobby and march for abortion ditto.

Or you could cast it as a class war, rather than as a race war.

Asians and middle- and upper-class whites tend to marry and have stable families and not have abortions. But they are ofttimes the same people who lobby for abortion and Planned Parenthood (which they neither need nor use) which kills the children mainly of Black and Hispanic mothers, who don't have stable families, or any families at all (the absent father syndrome). That's definitely a class war.

One wonders how self-styled progressives can wander so far away from their vaunted multicultural humanitarianism, unless it was never sincere to begin with.

The problem with blacks is pretty clear - they have been taught by their black leaders to look for approval from the white man. They haven't any racial pride. They have a wino's outlook on life.

No matter how many great black achievers there are the media always points out the blacks kneeling in a football stadium. It wouldn't do for blacks to get the idea that blacks can do anything that whites can.

"Oh please great white man, be nice to me because what you think is the beginning and ending of my world."

Do you know that after WW II the black race ALMOST made it back to humanity? That in the war blacks learned that no one cared what color you were. That the only thing that counted was that you were an American and would cover your back?

But black leaders could see money signs in their eyes by playing the race card and achieved the re-development of racism beyond their wildest imagination.

Blacks are the only racial group that have had their own achievements hidden by their own leaders. Dr. King, who actually had self appreciation, in his speech before the million man march noted that a third of the marchers were whites who wanted to express their disgust with the white establishment. This as if the only thing that counted was the approval of whites and not the blacks making their own mark.

I am old enough to remember when blacks had to sit in the back of the bus. In Oakland of all places. Why was that? BECAUSE that was the way it always was. Almost none of the whites questioned it but none of them could care less where a black sat. I was on the Key System bus when a old black lady got on the bus with a load of groceries. She looked towards the back of the bus and just couldn't face walking back there. It was a common working white man, himself weary from a day of work, that jumped up and offered that lady his seat. The black driver wouldn't move the bus because it was against regulations and he didn't want to get himself in trouble. It was the other white passengers that cried for him to go on. Almost instantly that was the end of segregation on a bus system.

Perhaps that was bad. Perhaps the blacks should have cleared that matter up themselves. Later I read that it was really a movement of old black ladies but I was there and I saw what happened. It was one lady and it was the common working man who had had it up to the necks with a white establishment who were set in their ways.

There was a recent movie (Calculators or some such) about three black women who were mathematicians with NASA in Florida. There was a complaint by a white manager that the blacks were late to meetings to which one of them (finally) pointed out that the bathrooms were segregated and she had to go clear across the campus to use the facilities. As should have been the case the manager picked up a shovel took everyone out and knocked down that "whites only" sign. No one complained. But of course the movie insinuated that there was grumbling among the whites. Unlikely. The only reason that there were segregated bathrooms was because of the post civil warm anger that 440,000 soldiers of the Confederacy were killed and the Union blamed it upon slavery instead of the true cause of taxation of farm produce that didn't apply equally to the industrialized north.

If the blacks are EVER going to end their own racism it is going to be by taking pride in their own racial achievements. Only as a passing comment they explained in the movie that those three black ladies made great achievements an moved up the ranks of NASA not because they were black but because they were competent. Why wasn't that the centerpiece of the movie instead of making it look like whites stood in their way their entire careers?

Andre - what would be your reaction to someone being promoted in front of you? Would you immediately think that it was some sort of discrimination or some natural process? I was promoted from technician to jr. engineer, to full engineer and then to project manager and then section manager.

They wouldn't promote me beyond that because those above were like Frank and valued "formal education" over ability. So I began taking college classes. Sitting in classrooms after working an 8 hour day to hear someone telling me what I already knew. Finally I said screw this and let them eat cake.

How is that job application going?

- Frank Krygowski

Which one? I could get a dozen jobs were I to move from California. Since my wife won't go for that I have to watch Silicon Valley dissolving in the belief that you need a formal education to perform tasks that a technician could do.

Abbot Laboratories hasn't called yet. They are offering half the wage that their position would require. Do you suppose that is a serious job or an "it would be nice" position?

The electric car company to offer competition to Tesla seems to be falling apart now. They have advertised for engineering staff but never seem to hire anyone. They too have your really intelligent mindset that you need a formal education in order to screw everything you touch up.

Several other medical instrument companies cannot even read my resume because the headhunters will not submit a resume of someone that hasn't worked in three years. Again you cannot perform simple duties without a formal education.

Where did that get you again?

Where did education get Frank? Is that the question? (Hand shooting up at back of class). Me, me! I can answer that one!

Uh, it got Frank a nice retirement free from concern over the cost of beef and a house in a village -- which sounds nice so long as its not The Village.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ffr1U7KMY From what I can tell, it means no roving hordes of illegals and thugs. It sounds like he's got a pretty good life, except for riding lane center all the time without a helmet. Plus, Ohio is too cold for me.

Do you mean by not using his formal major but instead becoming a teacher with much greater retirement benefits? Had I stayed a BART technician my retirement would presently be three or four times what I am presently making.

So that is no argument at all.

Yes, but the position requiring a college education may have produced a retirement benefit ten times what you are making. If your existing 401K is only paying $500 a month, ten times that would be $60K/year, which is well within range for a PERS retirement benefit for a management employee/teacher and probably below the benefit paid to a professor.

If you went into private employment, you might make more or less, and in some employments you would have been exposed to some pension fund risk, but generally speaking, a college education will net you more income during and after your work life. http://www.frbsf.org/economic-resear...tuition-wages/

There are very few jobs in which you could make more than I was making at the height of my career.

Then you must have made some really bad decisions, based on your
complaints about your present life and finances.

The real question now is why do they not even consider someone without a degree when a resume shows experience far and away more than necessary to fulfill a position?

First, I'll note that I don't think we should be pushing college degrees
as necessary for every person and every job. I think we should be giving
higher social status to skilled workers like machinists, technicians,
etc. with practical certificates and training.

But for certain positions a college degree requirement makes sense to
those doing the hiring. As I stated earlier, in addition to a certain
minimal foundation and depth of knowledge, it demonstrates a certain
amount of discipline. It also generally correlates with at least a bit
of culture and civility.

Regarding knowledge, let's pick a neutral discipline as an illustration.
Say two flute players apply for a position in some orchestra. One
application lists a bunch of bands he's played with, several recordings
he's on, a few nice sounding events at which he's played. The other
lists the same, but also a degree or two in music performance.

An orchestra's leadership would be much more confident that the latter
was capable of playing many types of music, could play in every possible
key, and would fit in socially with other players - that is, with those
who had taken courses in music appreciation, composition, theory, music
history, not to mention things like English literature, basic math and
maybe even business.

Sure, for some jobs that wouldn't matter. A ten second flute passage in
the key of D behind a TV commercial? A gig with a punk band? Touring
with the Grateful Dead? No degree necessary. Heck, I have one friend who
toured nationally with a well-known Nashville-based singer, and my
friend doesn't even read music.

But for other positions, it's reasonable to give preference to someone
with a degree. And in situations where there may be hundreds of
applicants, employers can reasonably make it a requirement.

When I was a section manager I had six EE's working under me. None of them could handle the jobs and I was doing about half of the design and all of the programming.

I was really dying to get qualified personnel. The company kicked the bucket and I went into the Human Resources office and looked to see who had actually applied - there were a dozen people perfectly qualified but whom the college degree holding human resources people did not present to me because THEY didn't feel they were qualified for my necessities.

Yeah, some of these other engineers also didn't have degrees. So what? It was MY judgement and not that of a headhunter or a HR person to make that decision.

And especially from what I've seen of today's "college degrees" I do not think them necessary in most cases. Perhaps the highest levels of education are still higher than ever, but when first year university students have to take remedial reading something is dreadfully wrong.

This isn't my imagination alone. My wife was a teacher and her friends are all retiring now at the soonest possible moment. They are not allowed to teach and they are not allowed to grade students as anything other than passing. One has just retired and moved to Modesto and is living in a trailer park and says that she hasn't a better and safer time in 10 years.
Old October 31st 17, 11:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 9:45:48 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 10/31/2017 9:39 AM, wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 3:26:44 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 11:51:55 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

Sounds like the places you've applied to want a formal education.

That's not illogical, you know. Yes, you tell us (and probably them) that you
are wonderfully smart and a high-performing worker. But they may reasonably
suspect that if you never earned a degree, you're not as smart or as motivated
as you claim.

Yes, I know there are exceptions. But based on what you say here, you're no
Bill Gates.

Where did that get you again?

:-) It got me a very interesting and satisfying career, lots of respect,
opportunities for interesting travel, and a good retirement in a desirable
community. I've had (and still have) opportunities to contribute to the
community. I've provided well for my family. And hey, I can even afford ground
beef!

- Frank Krygowski

Bill Gates? Let me guess - you think that he a Jobs were technical people.

:-) You should learn to stop guessing.

And you should learn to stop making exceedingly evil statements. Some woman using welfare stamps at the cheapest place in town YOU would advise to find a cheaper store so that she wouldn't have to pay as much for ground beef. And you assumption that she will just come over the next day and buy more of whatever she wants.

Frank, there is something wrong with you. You do not seem to know what the world is really like. Are you living in a bubble?
Old October 31st 17, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 12:38:29 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 8:36:50 PM UTC,
wrote:

snippy snip snip

There are very few jobs in which you could make more than
I was making at the height of my career.

Then you must have made some really bad decisions, based on
your complaints about your present life and finances.

more snip

I happen to know a few other people who have suffered
crippling accidents. Financial and psychological devastation
is the rule and the mere fact that Tom is able to compose in
English and plunk a keyboard at all is miraculous. Even
without brain injury, a year or two horizontal ruins lives
more often than not.

Ping Tom -- when did you have your concussion, and which fall caused it? I was never clear on that.

I know Tom had several fork failures, but then he had a succession of crashes -- I recall he hit a wall at 25mph, but I don't know if that was a fork failure. I thought all this misfortunes were post-retirement. I'm telling you, retirement is dangerous. Don't do it Muzi!

Dec 18, 2009. It was an IRD carbon fork. It had an aluminum head on it and the carbon legs were glued on and then after initial assembly they were riveted on to hold them together until the resin set. They followed American law and never advertised in the US (though all over the Internet) specifically hence they had no responsibility to have safe practices. The failure on the fork was that one side finally failed at the rivet because it had never been glued at all. The ER and several neurologists were unable to understand why I seemed to be dazed and uncommunicative for most of the time. In fact I was having almost continuous micro-seizures and major seizures a lot. Finally I had one in front of my best friend's wife who was a nurse and knew what it was. They took me to Stanford Cancer Center because the other doctors all said I must have some sort of brain cancer since there wasn't anything else possible. Stanford gave me a clean bill of health and recommended a professor of neurology who has a small practice at Palo Alto Medical Center down the street. I saw the lights come on again about mid-2011. It took two years to be fully lucent.

Another fork failed and dropped me into a large pile of dead leaves which cushioned me completely. So I didn't learn my lesson.

Finally my Colnago C40 fractured a fork end in a high speed descent. Because of the fracture it would steer properly and I went off the road and into a ditch - a stone culvert which thankfully was only neck deep so my head didn't strike anything. But I was quite sure I broke every other bone in my body. As it turns out I broke nothing. But presently I have a bad ligament in my shoulder which is quite painful and may have been caused by the crash from over a year ago. I didn't have any pain for a half year. But the surgeon says that isn't unusual. He recommends physical therapy if I can ever contact them.

But I am now off of anything carbon fiber forever. Steel is real and aluminum is light if uncomfortable as hell.
Old October 31st 17, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Andre Jute wrote:
On Sunday, October 29, 2017 at 8:36:50 PM UTC,
wrote:

snippy snip snip

[...]

Did you have to stop working because of your head injury? Are you still receiving treatment? Not to pry, but I'm wondering what the long-term effects were.

I haven't had your experience with CF, but if I did, I'd probably quit riding CF forks, too.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 1st 17, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 06:39:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

Bill Gates was a computer programmer. Whether that is a "technical
person" or not may be open to argument.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 1st 17, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 20:13:49 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/31/2017 6:11 PM, wrote:

When I was a section manager I had six EE's working under me. None of them could handle the jobs and I was doing about half of the design and all of the programming.

I was really dying to get qualified personnel. The company kicked the bucket and I went into the Human Resources office and looked to see who had actually applied - there were a dozen people perfectly qualified but whom the college degree holding human resources people did not present to me because THEY didn't feel they were qualified for my necessities.

Yeah, some of these other engineers also didn't have degrees. So what? It was MY judgement and not that of a headhunter or a HR person to make that decision.

I'm surprised that a section manager would have no input as to
qualifications of people applying for jobs he would supervise.

So am I. It was pretty much a standing policy that project managers,
in the company I worked for, had the last word in who they hired. The
theory was that in the event of a project failure that the manager
went down with the ship so he ought to pick his own crew.

We had a company in the U.S. that did solicit applications - "wanted
50 ton crane operator for work in S.E.A." They simply forwarded the
resumes to us, I reviewed them and sent the applicable ones to the
projects that required people. The idea was to make less work for the
project managers. If he was looking for crane operators I didn't
bother to send resumes for welders, for example.

Some of our clients demanded certain qualifications - Degree in Civil
Engineering with experience in constructing highways in primitive
areas - while in other cases they relied on us to supply qualified
people.

I might add that the absolutely best qualified civil construction guy
I ever knew was a hillbilly from Tennessee who's family moved to
California in a 1930's. His formal education was extremely limited but
he had gone to work as a bulldozer operator when he was 14 years old
and had nearly 50 years experience moving dirt when I knew him.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 1st 17, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 11:07:38 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

Some of our clients demanded certain qualifications - Degree in Civil
Engineering with experience in constructing highways in primitive
areas - while in other cases they relied on us to supply qualified
people.

And speaking of Civil Engineers, lots of work that affects public safety
requires a licensed Professional Engineer's involvement. Getting a PE license
is far from easy, and if you don't have the relevant college degree (plus work
experience) there's little point in applying.

- Frank Krygowski

Old November 1st 17, 08:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 31 Oct 2017 20:34:35 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 11:07:38 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

Some of our clients demanded certain qualifications - Degree in Civil
Engineering with experience in constructing highways in primitive
areas - while in other cases they relied on us to supply qualified
people.

And speaking of Civil Engineers, lots of work that affects public safety
requires a licensed Professional Engineer's involvement. Getting a PE license
is far from easy, and if you don't have the relevant college degree (plus work
experience) there's little point in applying.

- Frank Krygowski

Currently the National Society of Professional Engineers pamphlet
"Education and Experience Requirements for the Professional Engineer"
list a number of states that do not require a collage degree, but
these states do require a significant amount of experience.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old November 1st 17, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 3:56:20 PM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

Did you have to stop working because of your head injury? Are you still receiving treatment? Not to pry, but I'm wondering what the long-term effects were.

I haven't had your experience with CF, but if I did, I'd probably quit riding CF forks, too.

I have absolutely no memory of the year and a half I spent from the concussion to my real neurologist medicating me. During that time I lost 42% of my body weight. None of the doctors I was seeing could figure out why because I probably wasn't remembering to eat. The grand seizures were destroying other memories but perhaps not permanently since as time goes on I can remember more and more.

The initial medication that made me "come to" did not stop the grand seizures but they were the sort that you cannot remember afterwards so I simply had no way of knowing I was still having seizures. While at the doctor my younger brother told him I was still having seizures and he added a second medication and almost over-night I began to feel better.

Because my weight was so low I had extreme depression and considered suicide but as I was eating like an ox that very soon went away. I still have people saying "Hi Tom" whom I do not recognize. Others I recognize but without any idea of where or when.

The paper I wrote plainly shows that over the time when helmets went from zero use to almost universal use there was no change in deaths. There are only poorly documented statistics on injuries, but my experience with motorcycles tells me that head injuries on two wheelers are rare because it is a human reaction to protect one's head. So most head injuries are sudden and violent. I have spoken with Bell Helmets long ago as they were developing the first helmets and even at that time we discussed the fact that concussion tended to be worse than mild skull fracture and that perhaps it would be better to make helmets to protect from concussion first.

But then when calculated there simply wasn't enough room for an effective helmet of such a type. And DOT got involved making standards that were for protecting the skull and not what was inside it.