Pedal reflectors

Old October 19th 10, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_4_]

Default Pedal reflectors

Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal reflectors is
"controversial" and used this justification for delaying someone's post.

Why?

Are we allowed to discuss pedal reflectors here?

I think they can only be a good thing along with anything else that makes a
bicycle more visible at night.

Old October 19th 10, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal reflectors is
"controversial" and used this justification for delaying someone's post.

Why?

Are we allowed to discuss pedal reflectors here?

I think they can only be a good thing along with anything else that makes
a bicycle more visible at night.

AIUI but IANAL they are also a legal requirement, at least after dark.
Although one of my bikes does not have them (Keo Look) and the other has
mini-clips fitted to the place where the front reflectors used to be (I had
to remove the reflectors to fit the clips) and the rear pedal reflectors
fell off. Apart from not riding much after dark, if I do ride after dark I
wear a hi viz jacket, a standard red light, a flashing red light, and a
constant blue light, and a white light on the front. I don't seem to have
difficulty being seen. Even so, there might be someone like JMS who spotting
me with no pedal reflectors might try to knock me off to "teach me a
lesson".

The only thing that really does concern me though is that if some ****
knocks me off, my compo might get reduced if their lawyer finds out that I
had no pedal reflectors.

Old October 19th 10, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tosspot[_3_]

On 19/10/10 16:34, Mr. Benn wrote:
Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal reflectors
is "controversial" and used this justification for delaying someone's post.

Why?

Are we allowed to discuss pedal reflectors here?

Yep. We can discuss French pension plans if you want.

I think they can only be a good thing along with anything else that
makes a bicycle more visible at night.

Now you and I might think that's a good idea, but legislating it might
not be.
Old October 19th 10, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Mr. Benn wrote:

Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal
reflectors is "controversial" and used this justification for
delaying someone's post.

Why?

Because the better sorts of pedals for sale in the UK are almost
impossible to make comply with UK law, and it is almost impossible to
comply with UK law regarding pedal reflectors when riding a recumbent.

It would be rather like there being a law mandating a rigid roof on
every car - it might have a safety benefit, it would render a large
number of cars illegal. Such a law would be controversial, I expect.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old October 19th 10, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Gwyn[_8_]

In message
"mileburner" wrote:

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal reflectors is
"controversial" and used this justification for delaying someone's post.

Why?

Are we allowed to discuss pedal reflectors here?

I think they can only be a good thing along with anything else that makes
a bicycle more visible at night.

AIUI but IANAL they are also a legal requirement, at least after dark.

For bikes made after a cetain date only.

[snip]

--
Gwyn
Old October 19th 10, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Gwyn wrote:
In message
"mileburner" wrote:

"Mr. Benn" wrote in message
Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal
reflectors is "controversial" and used this justification for
delaying someone's post.

Why?

Are we allowed to discuss pedal reflectors here?

I think they can only be a good thing along with anything else that
makes a bicycle more visible at night.

AIUI but IANAL they are also a legal requirement, at least after
dark.

For bikes made after a cetain date only.

I will sleep well tonight then. Neither of my bikes are date stamped.

Old October 19th 10, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Ian Smith wrote:

On Tue, 19 Oct 2010, Mr. Benn wrote:

Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal
reflectors is "controversial" and used this justification for
delaying someone's post.

Why?

Because the better sorts of pedals for sale in the UK are almost
impossible to make comply with UK law, and it is almost impossible to
comply with UK law regarding pedal reflectors when riding a recumbent.

You are right. But couldn't we see this as an engineering problem? As in,
how could we (or rather, manufacturers or enterprising accessory makers)
make them reflective? How about putting a reflective jacket round the axle
between the pedal and the crank? Or a little but highly reflective peg on
the outside? Or making all cleated shoes (because by 'the better sorts of
pedals' i assume you mean ones with those confounded clippy arrangements
on) reflective front and back as a substitute? And, er, fitting recumbents
with reflective windmills? Any brighter ideas?

It would be rather like there being a law mandating a rigid roof on
every car - it might have a safety benefit, it would render a large
number of cars illegal. Such a law would be controversial, I expect.

I don't keep up with urcm, but that sounds like a rubbish justification.

tom

--
VENN DIAGRAM THAT LOOK LIKE TWO BIG CIRCLES EQUAL BAD PUBLIC POLICY.
Old October 19th 10, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
X5b8cpMN

Moderated groups on the whole are ****.

Old October 20th 10, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dieter Britz

X5b8cpMN wrote:

On 19/10/2010 16:34, Mr. Benn wrote:
Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal reflectors
is "controversial" and used this justification for delaying someone's
post.

Moderated groups on the whole are ****.

Not generally. E.g. the moderated physics group has serious discussions, and
no "Teens sucking cock!!" or "EINSTEIN WAS WRONG" type items, which is good.
But this seems weird - if there is controversy on pedal reflectors, why not
discuss that? How good a moderated ng is depends on the moderators.
--
Dieter Britz (dieterhansbritzatgmail.com)
Old October 20th 10, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Andy Leighton

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010 09:02:25 +0200, Dieter Britz wrote:
X5b8cpMN wrote:

On 19/10/2010 16:34, Mr. Benn wrote:
Wacko Jacko of the moderated group says the subject of pedal reflectors
is "controversial" and used this justification for delaying someone's
post.

Moderated groups on the whole are ****.

Not generally. E.g. the moderated physics group has serious discussions, and
no "Teens sucking cock!!" or "EINSTEIN WAS WRONG" type items, which is good.
But this seems weird - if there is controversy on pedal reflectors, why not
discuss that? How good a moderated ng is depends on the moderators.

Umm, it is being discussed. Certain people are misrepresenting the
situation.

--
Andy Leighton =
- Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

SPD Pedal reflectors Paul Boyd[_2_] UK 10 December 30th 07 09:32 PM
pedal reflectors Adam Lea UK 45 July 21st 07 11:09 PM
Pedal Reflectors - where from? Josey UK 24 September 9th 06 12:41 PM
Pedal Reflectors in the UK - a little off topic Pete Bradbury Mountain Biking 5 July 2nd 06 10:51 PM
Reflectors and the Law Mark Thompson UK 27 February 17th 06 12:51 PM