Basso: Armstrong will be a beast at the Tour

Old June 30th 09, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

Default Basso: Armstrong will be a beast at the Tour

On Jun 29, 11:28*pm, KG wrote:
On Jun 29, 9:39*pm, hizark21 wrote:

On Jun 25, 11:11*am, hizark21 wrote:

On Jun 25, 11:00*am, Carl Sundquist wrote:

hizark21 wrote:
On Jun 25, 7:58 am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"hizark21" wrote in message

Lance's recent performanc at the Nevada city race is encouraging.
Just out of curiosity - just what the hell would that have to do with
anything at all?

Well it gives some indication of Lance's form of course

51 finishers in a 90 minute crit. Two going to the Tour. What does it
indicate?

Well it shows that Lance can attack. But like I said it's hard to
judge.

With Contador's recent national TT victory (http://www.bikeradar.com/
news/article/contador-wins-spanish-national-time-trial-22201 ) I think
his chances of winning shifts firmly in his favor. Till now I believed
that Lance might have a chance of winning the TT and Contador would be
forced to defend Lance.

Dumbass -

Contador may indeed be there with his TT skills, but winning the
Spanish TT championship is hardly evidence of his prowess. That nation
is awash in climbers, but who's been good from Spain since the days of
Indurain/Olano?

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

If Lance has any chance of winning this years TDF it have to be in the
TT. I seriously doubt the that Lance is capable of attacking in the
col's. So Lance will have a commanding lead in the TT's. This will
force his Contador to defend him. Assuming that Lance rides a great
TT, then he will most likely ride a defensive Tour. But this is only
natural considering his age.
Old June 30th 09, 12:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

"hizark21" wrote in message

[...]

natural considering his age.- Hide quoted text -

Contador will defend nobody. He's out to win it! Even if he finds
himself behind after the TT, he'll climb the mountains attacking and
in search of regaining the lead; which he is very capable of doing.

Andre
Old June 30th 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

[...]

It depends on how much influence Bruyneel has. My guess is that
Contador will wait for Lance to falter and then attack.
Old June 30th 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
d p chang

KG writes:

On Jun 29, 9:39Â*pm, hizark21 wrote:
On Jun 25, 11:11Â*am, hizark21 wrote:

"hizark21" wrote in message

Lance's recent performanc at the Nevada city race is encouraging.
Just out of curiosity - just what the hell would that have to do with
anything at all?

Well it gives some indication of Lance's form of course

51 finishers in a 90 minute crit. Two going to the Tour. What does it
indicate?

Well it shows that Lance can attack. But like I said it's hard to
judge.

With Contador's recent national TT victory (http://www.bikeradar.com/
news/article/contador-wins-spanish-national-time-trial-22201 ) I think
his chances of winning shifts firmly in his favor.

Contador may indeed be there with his TT skills, but winning the
Spanish TT championship is hardly evidence of his prowess. That nation
is awash in climbers, but who's been good from Spain since the days of
Indurain/Olano?

hmmm... i didn't go through all the results, but ivan gutierrez wasn't a
slouch against the clock. no indurain/olano, but=20

a little poking around gives

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_UC...7s_=Time_Trial

rogers hasn't done much since then but 'same time' as cancellara isn't
to be sniffed at.

i'm not saying anything about contagor, but more that the spanish don't
suck. just relative to what they used to be.

\p
---
Worry, the interest paid by those who borrow trouble. - George Washington
Old July 1st 09, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

"hizark21" wrote in message

[...]

All countries cycling have their ups and downs.

Old July 1st 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
KG[_2_]

"hizark21" wrote in message

[...]

I think it's a cultural thing because Spain produces plenty of
excellent mass start racers, but they're not so good at the TT.

By contrast, Americans are better at TT than they are at mass start.
IMO, it's because Americans like to mess around with equipment and
wind tunnels and all that and the Spanish don't. Even the US Masters
Fatties pay more attention to aerogeekness than a Spanish
professional.

Topping of this thesis: the best Spanish time trialist ever, Indurain,
wasn't aero. He just had so much wattage that it didn't matter.

That said, Contador is going to have his aero ducks in a row because
his DS is Johan Bruyneel and not some traditional Spanish DS whose
idea of tactics in the ITT is to stick his fat self out the sunroof of
the follow vehicle yelling, "Venga! Venga! Venga!"

Old July 1st 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

"hizark21" wrote in message

[...]

What in world are you talking about. Indurain is probably one top 3
time trialists of all time. Indurain consistently put 1 or 2 minutes
on his rivals until the latter part of his career.

Old July 1st 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"hizark21" wrote in message
On Jun 30, 7:05 pm, KG wrote:

Topping of this thesis: the best Spanish time trialist ever, Indurain,
wasn't aero. He just had so much wattage that it didn't matter.

What in world are you talking about. Indurain is probably one top 3
time trialists of all time. Indurain consistently put 1 or 2 minutes
on his rivals until the latter part of his career.

Huh? That's what Henry just said.

Old July 1st 09, 04:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
KG[_2_]

"hizark21" wrote in message

[...]

Please reread before jerking thy knee.

Armstrong and Basso Andre Racing 10 December 11th 06 05:35 AM
Ullrich, Basso and Armstrong Tony Raven UK 2 October 22nd 06 12:43 PM
Will Armstrong pass Basso and Ramunsen on the road on Saturday? Maximillian Leon III Racing 4 July 25th 05 09:38 AM
Basso vs. Armstrong, where did Basso lose his time? Chris M Racing 10 July 22nd 05 05:43 PM
F/A: ARMSTRONG-BASSO ALPE D'HUEZ RARE PHOTO TOUR DE FRANCE Scott Steward Marketplace 0 December 15th 04 04:13 AM