LANCE and FRAAM

Old August 5th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

Default LANCE and FRAAM

On Aug 5, 8:40*am, "Robert Chung"
wrote:
Robert Chung wrote:
Susan Walker wrote:
ric wrote:
FRAAM? *What does the "F" stand for?

a) ****ing
b) Fat
c) Fred
d) all of the above

e) Farcical
f) Fantasy

g) Fey

h) Futile
i) Furtive
j) Fantasmagoric
Old August 5th 09, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dwayne

On Aug 5, 12:01*pm, "Paul B. Anders" wrote:
On Aug 5, 8:40*am, "Robert Chung"
wrote:

Robert Chung wrote:
Susan Walker wrote:
ric wrote:
FRAAM? *What does the "F" stand for?

a) ****ing
b) Fat
c) Fred
d) all of the above

e) Farcical
f) Fantasy

g) Fey

h) Futile
i) Furtive
j) Fantasmagoric

Feckless.
Old August 5th 09, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

wrote:

Robert Chung wrote:
Susan Walker wrote:
ric wrote:
FRAAM? What does the "F" stand for?

a) ****ing
b) Fat
c) Fred
d) all of the above

e) Farcical
f) Fantasy

g) Fey

h) Futile
i) Furtive
j) Fantasmagoric

Feckless.
*********
What's a feck, that FRAAM doesn't have one?

-S-

Old August 5th 09, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dwayne

wrote:

Robert Chung wrote:
Susan Walker wrote:
ric wrote:
FRAAM? What does the "F" stand for?

a) ****ing
b) Fat
c) Fred
d) all of the above

e) Farcical
f) Fantasy

g) Fey

h) Futile
i) Furtive
j) Fantasmagoric

Feckless.
*********
What's a feck, that FRAAM doesn't have one?

Dunno, but few on r.b.r. seem to give a feck about the event...
Continuing the "f" motif, how about "feculent farrago of fatuousness"?
Old August 5th 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dwayne

wrote:

Robert Chung wrote:
Susan Walker wrote:
ric wrote:
FRAAM? What does the "F" stand for?

a) ****ing
b) Fat
c) Fred
d) all of the above

e) Farcical
f) Fantasy

g) Fey

h) Futile
i) Furtive
j) Fantasmagoric

Feckless.
*********
What's a feck, that FRAAM doesn't have one?

Dunno, but few on r.b.r. seem to give a feck about the event...
Continuing the "f" motif, how about "feculent farrago of fatuousness"?

Er, make that last "fatuity".
Old August 5th 09, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Henry[_4_]

On Aug 5, 2:05*pm, "Steve Freides" wrote:
"Paul B. Anders" wrote in ...
On Aug 4, 4:26 am, wrote:

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 03:53:33 -0700, Crescentius Vespasianus

wrote:
ilan wrote:
On Aug 3, 10:35 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
" wrote in message

On Aug 3, 3:30 pm, "Paul B. Anders" wrote:
From his twit feed today:

"Maybe I'll do RAAM one of these years. Am I crazy? Anyone know
how
many miles a day they avg?"
=======
Can you imagine what rbr would be like, should this ever happen?
=======

But it would only be for 8 days, not 23.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReactionBicycles.com

With Lance riding, it would be 5 days.
---------------

There is a big difference between the 200 un-drafted miles he rode in
the tdf and the 3000 he would have to do in RAAM.

You never know, being Lance, he could convince them to set up a
special category of 'Team RadioShack' does RAAM, using a paceline and
full TV coverage and closed roads all the way. Wouldn't that be
something...or maybe not. lol.- Hide quoted text -

Having LANCE ride FRAAM alone would be as boring as FRAAM currently
is. Having LANCE with the best of Team RatShack in the teams division,
going like absolute hell to build up a huge lead, then having a full-
on Texas beer and BBQ party for 10,000 half-way, waiting for the next
team to catch up, pass them by 1/2 day, then running them down in the
last hour (remember, those TDF guys know how to catch the break just
before the finish), blowing by at warp 10, winning, then having an
even bigger Texas margarita and burrito party for 20,000 at the
finish, well..... that would be worth seeing.

Brad Anders
*********
A four-man team means riding 6 hours out of every 24, which is what they
do in a grand tour, anyway. *A few first-class mobile homes for support
vehicles and that's it - why hasn't a group of pro riders tried this
already?

-S-

read somewhere that these ultra long distance races don't allow pro's
Old August 5th 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
bdbafh

On Aug 5, 11:21*am, "Steve Freides" wrote:
"z" wrote in message

Steve Freides wrote:

wrote:
" wrote in message
On Aug 3, 3:30 pm, "Paul B. Anders" wrote:
From his twit feed today:
[...]

Two reasons:

It's during the middle of the regular season, and nobody cares about
it.

I wonder what it would take to turn RAAM, er, uh, FRAAM into Le Tour
D'America. *Probably a big pile of money.

-S-

Nah, just have a news conference.
Announce it and sponsors will line up to throw money your way.

http://www.fatcyclist.com/2008/04/03...ules-for-2009/

-bdbafh
Old August 5th 09, 11:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
KG[_2_]

On Aug 5, 4:59*am, ric wrote:
On Aug 4, 10:05*pm, "Steve Freides" wrote:

wrote:
" wrote in message

On Aug 3, 3:30 pm, "Paul B. Anders" wrote:
From his twit feed today:

[...]

Dumbass -

RAAM is an acronym for Race Across AMerica.

FRAAM is an acronym for FRed Across AMerica.

FRAAM is more accurate.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
Old August 6th 09, 09:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

On Aug 3, 12:30*pm, "Paul B. Anders" wrote:
From his twit feed today:

"Maybe I'll do RAAM one of these years. Am I crazy? Anyone know how
many miles a day they avg?"

Brad Anders

I can remember back in the early days of the RAAM how people used to
say how riders Lon Haldeman had these special riding skills.
Supposedly they were unique to the RAAM. Then along came Jonathan
Boyer and blew the other RAAM riders away.
Old August 6th 09, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Thu, 6 Aug 2009 01:39:48 -0700 (PDT), hizark21
wrote:

I can remember back in the early days of the RAAM how people used to
say how riders Lon Haldeman had these special riding skills.

I followed RAAM a lot closer then. The stars weren't people with
extraordinary speed, just very fast and with the ability to maintain a
consistent high speed over time, a technique defined over the
California/West Coast point to point records. Lon had no special
skills that I recall being discussed, but he could maintain those
speeds over longer periods of time without encountering 'events' that
slowed him sompared to, say, Secrest or Shermer or the guy that
started with M (bad memory).

Most mentioned was a training regimen bordering on the bizarre. At the
time I was trying to get up to an hour on my old Cinelli rollers just
once and he was riding rollers in the dark for much longer, much, much
longer. Second in line was his on-road diet, which included a lot of
McDonald chocolate shakes. Try that on a long multiday tour and see
how much time you spend in the john.

I was in some A+ club rides that included both Haldeman and Shermer
(different rides, so I can't say who seemed stronger). They were fast
enough, but not extraordinary and definitely not the fastest when good
local racers were there. I think Shermer was an adequate cat 3 at one
time, but that is from memory.

Boyer simply came at it from the pro point of view, rode faster,
rested better and won. Surprise - applying some of what has been
learned over a hundred years of pro racing had results. The problem
with Boyer as a poster child for RAAM is that anyone that can stay up
on a A+ ride can have visions of riding RAAM like Haldeman - get a
little faster, train, train, train for hours at a time, learn to
suffer. Being fast like Boyer is beyond the hopes of almost all riders
and its mostly those that don't need RAAM that can duplicate or exceed
it.

Haldeman was SuperFred (and I really mean absolutely no disrespect
there). Boyer was a pro. There is a gap in the field there. Really.

As a side note, in the ride in Towson, MD that included Shermer, a
local cat 2 or 3, depending on the year, was not much impressed with
Shermer's speed or technique (liked his bike though - early, early
carbon fiber). I was with the same guy when we watched the Tour de
Trump or DuPont, whichever, come up a steep hill (for us) like an
express train, and he, like all the others in our group, saw the huge
gap between local racing and the UCI pros. One did not impress, the
other left him laughing at the difference. That's the reality in the
difference between RAAM and a real pro tour. To say otherwise is sheer
pretense.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...