Folders ... ?

Old August 30th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

Default Folders ... ?

I may be in a position where I'm changing jobs and will require the use of a
train and a mile or so cycle at the other end. So, I'm looking at folders to
take on the train. At the moment I know of three makes, Brompton, Dahon and
Airnimal.

I'm also thinking of asking this new company to do the cycle scheme stuff,
so price isn't too much of a bother. However, it's only a mile there and
back, so probably don't need the best one available

So, what's the benefits of each make?

p.s. saw my first a-bike yesterday. The lad looked really unsteady and was
passed in seconds by other cyclists. The thing looked really silly IMO.

Old August 30th 06, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Helen Deborah Vecht

"elyob" typed

I may be in a position where I'm changing jobs and will require the
use of a
train and a mile or so cycle at the other end. So, I'm looking at
folders to
take on the train. At the moment I know of three makes, Brompton, Dahon and
Airnimal.

I'm also thinking of asking this new company to do the cycle scheme stuff,
so price isn't too much of a bother. However, it's only a mile there and
back, so probably don't need the best one available

So, what's the benefits of each make?

p.s. saw my first a-bike yesterday. The lad looked really unsteady and was
passed in seconds by other cyclists. The thing looked really silly IMO.

Speed and ease of fold are important.

I've not yet anyone who regrets getting a Brompton. If you regret
getting a Brom, the second hand value is such you'll have lost little.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old August 30th 06, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

"Helen Deborah Vecht" wrote in message
"elyob" typed

[...]

A friend bought a Brommy and then "upgraded" to an Airnimal. He sometimes
avoids the train and cycles 15 miles to and 15 miles from work. He wanted
proper sized wheels. I'm not sure I'm fussed as I already have an all-round
and a race bike. Brompton I guess is high up the list.

Another friend has a Dahon that just splits in the middle. I don't really
rate it much.

Thanks for advice, will borrow the first friend's old Brommy for a couple of
weeks and see how I get on.

Old August 30th 06, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Gunn

elyob twisted the electrons to say:
I may be in a position where I'm changing jobs and will require the use
of a train and a mile or so cycle at the other end. So, I'm looking at
folders to take on the train. At the moment I know of three makes,
Brompton, Dahon and Airnimal.

There's also Birdy.

Can't really offer an opinion on any of them though, since my total
experience with any of them amounts to about 1 minutes worth of Brompton
riding. Also, I'm lacking justification as to why I'd want one (well,
beyond the "Bromptons are cool!" aspect).
Old August 30th 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting elyob :
I may be in a position where I'm changing jobs and will require the use of a
train and a mile or so cycle at the other end. So, I'm looking at folders to
take on the train. At the moment I know of three makes, Brompton, Dahon and
Airnimal.

The main advantage of the B over most makes is that the fold is very fast
and the folded package is very small. The ride, although adequate, is not
as good as makes that have prioritised that.

Therefore a B's best for multiple short hops - cycle a mile, fold, onto a
train, unfold, cycle a mile - and at the other end, Dahon make bikes for
things like fold once, fly, unfold, cycle for two weeks, fold...
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Second Monday, August.
Old August 30th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , elyob
') wrote:

I may be in a position where I'm changing jobs and will require the use
of a train and a mile or so cycle at the other end. So, I'm looking at
folders to take on the train. At the moment I know of three makes,
Brompton, Dahon and Airnimal.

Airnimals, while nice, aren't suitable for this sort of thing. They're
more bikes that can fold than folding bikes. The good make you've missed
are the German made Birdies. Better ride than a Brom, not much bigger
when folded.

I'm also thinking of asking this new company to do the cycle scheme
stuff, so price isn't too much of a bother. However, it's only a mile
there and back, so probably don't need the best one available

So, what's the benefits of each make?

Brompton, smallest, quickest fold for a bike you can really ride; parks
upright when folded, has useful half-fold which also leaves the bike
stably upright. Birdy, more designer, more expensive, very slightly
larger fold but many people say a much better ride. Dahon, lots of
models from very small fold to very good ride (and from reasonably cheap
to reasonably expensive).

The Brompton is certainly the ultimate bike-plus-train machine, but if I
was in your position I'd go for the Birdy Speed for lighter weight,
better ride quality and general style.
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/speed.shtml

,/| _.--''^``-...___.._.,;
/, \'. _-' ,--,,,--'''
{ \ `_-'' ' /
`;;' ; ; ;
._..--'' ._,,, _..' .;.'
(,_....----''' (,..--''

Old August 30th 06, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

"David Damerell" wrote in message
Quoting elyob :
I may be in a position where I'm changing jobs and will require the use of
train and a mile or so cycle at the other end. So, I'm looking at folders
take on the train. At the moment I know of three makes, Brompton, Dahon
and
Airnimal.

The main advantage of the B over most makes is that the fold is very fast
and the folded package is very small. The ride, although adequate, is not
as good as makes that have prioritised that.

Therefore a B's best for multiple short hops - cycle a mile, fold, onto a
train, unfold, cycle a mile - and at the other end, Dahon make bikes for
things like fold once, fly, unfold, cycle for two weeks, fold...

Okay, so just say I decide Brompton. I've been looking at the range and am
reasonably confused. I'm not that keen on the look of the dual position
bars, but could put up with the mid-position bars. However, if the dual
positions are 'a must' recommend by yourselves, I'll consider it.

Which builds would you all go for? I'll rule out C-Type myself, so am trying
to work out the difference between equipment and frames etc. The general use
may not sound much, but if I ever started work in London I may up my mileage
to 10-15 miles a day. I also like to "give it some" and am quite a heavily
built guy.

Thanks

Old August 30th 06, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

elyob wrote on 30/08/2006 20:50 +0100:

Which builds would you all go for? I'll rule out C-Type myself, so am trying
to work out the difference between equipment and frames etc. The general use
may not sound much, but if I ever started work in London I may up my mileage
to 10-15 miles a day. I also like to "give it some" and am quite a heavily
built guy.

I would go for what was the L3; three speed, standard M bars and get the
shopping basket or the S-bag for your work stuff.

As for choices of bike, its either Brompton or Birdy if you want to go
on the train, especially if its crowded. The Airnimal is not really
suitable - its too large and ungainly on a crowded train as is the Bike
Friday. Dahons are OK but again bigger when folded but nothing beats
the Brommie which can usually be slotted between the back to back seats.

You can find some useful comparisons and reviews at
http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old August 30th 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

elyob wrote:
I may be in a position where I'm changing jobs and will require the use of a
train and a mile or so cycle at the other end. So, I'm looking at folders to
take on the train. At the moment I know of three makes, Brompton, Dahon and
Airnimal.

I'm also thinking of asking this new company to do the cycle scheme stuff,
so price isn't too much of a bother. However, it's only a mile there and
back, so probably don't need the best one available

So, what's the benefits of each make?

For a mile? I'd just walk.

Go and test-ride first. Lots of folks swear by the brompton, but I
found it uncomfortable (on the hands) and scary, and went for a
(slightly-larger) dahon instead. There are other options that may
be much better than either of those, though for such a short journey
the cost of a brommie or dahon seems high, let alone something
more classy.

p.s. saw my first a-bike yesterday. The lad looked really unsteady and was
passed in seconds by other cyclists. The thing looked really silly IMO.

Bit like I felt onna brompton, then.

--
Nick Kew

http://www.prenhallprofessional.com/title/0132409674
Old August 31st 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

"Nick Kew" wrote in message
news
elyob wrote:
I may be in a position where I'm changing jobs and will require the use
of a train and a mile or so cycle at the other end. So, I'm looking at
folders to take on the train. At the moment I know of three makes,
Brompton, Dahon and Airnimal.

I'm also thinking of asking this new company to do the cycle scheme
stuff, so price isn't too much of a bother. However, it's only a mile
there and back, so probably don't need the best one available

So, what's the benefits of each make?

For a mile? I'd just walk.

That isn't an option as far as the company have said. They categorically say
don't walk, they'll pick you up. It's country roads, where people probably
race down (from my experience driving there the other day (not racing,
mind!)).

Go and test-ride first. Lots of folks swear by the brompton, but I
found it uncomfortable (on the hands) and scary, and went for a
(slightly-larger) dahon instead. There are other options that may
be much better than either of those, though for such a short journey
the cost of a brommie or dahon seems high, let alone something
more classy.

50% off, and I get true kitchen pr0n I'm not sure how many bikes are
ideal, but I'm certainly up to two, and dreaming of four ...

p.s. saw my first a-bike yesterday. The lad looked really unsteady and
was passed in seconds by other cyclists. The thing looked really silly
IMO.

Bit like I felt onna brompton, then.

Nah, this thing was really poor! I mean, the bloke looked like he was drunk!