Do self-sealing tubes really work?

Old September 24th 09, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
elfa

Default Do self-sealing tubes really work?

I'm fairly new to biking and in the last three days I had to fix a flat tire
three times. I know flats "come with territory" but I was wondering if a
self-sealing tube is considered something worth buying.

For me, the thing that causes the flats are just the small dried thorns you find
along the highways in California. It's never nails or glass...always a small
thorn about 1/4 in long.

I ride almost every day but it's for physical therapy for my old legs (I've had
both hips replaced). I'm not an avid bicyclist.

thanks

elfa

Old September 24th 09, 03:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
TT

On Sep 23, 7:44*pm, elfa wrote:
I'm fairly new to biking and in the last three days I had to fix a flat tire
three times. *I know flats "come with territory" but I was wondering if a
self-sealing tube is considered something worth buying.

For me, the thing that causes the flats are just the small dried thorns you find
along the highways in California. *It's never nails or glass...always a small
thorn about 1/4 in long.

I ride almost every day but it's for physical therapy for my old legs (I've had
both hips replaced). *I'm not an avid bicyclist.

thanks

elfa

Lots of people like them. They do work for small needle type
punctures. I personally run tire liners (Mr Tuffy brand) instead of
slime tubes.

-Tom
Old September 24th 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 24 Sep, 03:44, elfa wrote:
I'm fairly new to biking and in the last three days I had to fix a flat tire
three times. *I know flats "come with territory" but I was wondering if a
self-sealing tube is considered something worth buying.

For me, the thing that causes the flats are just the small dried thorns you find
along the highways in California. *It's never nails or glass...always a small
thorn about 1/4 in long.

I ride almost every day but it's for physical therapy for my old legs (I've had
both hips replaced). *I'm not an avid bicyclist.

thanks

elfa

That's when you should use tyre skimmers, can be made from a thin
spoke. Affixed to mudguard or forks is best.
Old September 24th 09, 04:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
elfa

In article ,
TT says...

On Sep 23, 7:44=A0pm, elfa wrote:
I'm fairly new to biking and in the last three days I had to fix a flat t=

ire
three times. =A0I know flats "come with territory" but I was wondering if=

self-sealing tube is considered something worth buying.

For me, the thing that causes the flats are just the small dried thorns y=

ou find
along the highways in California. =A0It's never nails or glass...always a=

small
thorn about 1/4 in long.

I ride almost every day but it's for physical therapy for my old legs (I'=

ve had
both hips replaced). =A0I'm not an avid bicyclist.

thanks

elfa

Lots of people like them. They do work for small needle type
punctures. I personally run tire liners (Mr Tuffy brand) instead of
slime tubes.

-Tom

Wow! Never heard of tire liners! Just did a Google search about them. Thanks
for the info. Another question. Should the tires be inflated to the max or
min? My tires say from 45 to 65 lbs. I usually pump them to about 55. Is
there some magical amount for off road knobby tires that can also reduce flats?

thanks

elfa

Old September 24th 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"someone" wrote in message
On 24 Sep, 03:44, elfa wrote:
I'm fairly new to biking and in the last three days I had to fix a flat
tire
three times. I know flats "come with territory" but I was wondering if a
self-sealing tube is considered something worth buying.

For me, the thing that causes the flats are just the small dried thorns
you find
along the highways in California. It's never nails or glass...always a
small
thorn about 1/4 in long.

I ride almost every day but it's for physical therapy for my old legs
(I've had
both hips replaced). I'm not an avid bicyclist.

thanks

elfa

That's when you should use tyre skimmers, can be made from a thin
spoke. Affixed to mudguard or forks is best.

end of original posts
Trevor,
elfa is using "off road knobby tires". Might not be the best application for
skimmers.
Kerry

Old September 24th 09, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 24 Sep, 06:13, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
"someone" wrote in message

On 24 Sep, 03:44, elfa wrote:

[...]

1/4" thorns? Suggests to me a thin tread and stiff casing such as a
cheap runabout tyre. Didn't know that such short thorns could present
a considerable problem for 'knobblies'. If the tyre is not an
aggresive off road tyre and more like a traditional touring tyre then
skimmers may still help. I'd be loathed to put in tyre liners, they
can cause punctures and will affect ride comfort and rolling
resistance. I'd think a change in tyre would be more appropriate to
one with a fine supple casing.
Old September 24th 09, 02:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Sep 23, 10:44*pm, elfa wrote:
I'm fairly new to biking and in the last three days I had to fix a flat tire
three times. *I know flats "come with territory" but I was wondering if a
self-sealing tube is considered something worth buying.

For me, the thing that causes the flats are just the small dried thorns you find
along the highways in California. *It's never nails or glass...always a small
thorn about 1/4 in long.

I ride almost every day but it's for physical therapy for my old legs (I've had
both hips replaced). *I'm not an avid bicyclist.

thanks

elfa

What kind of tires are you using, and what type of surfaces are you
riding on? Someone might be able to recommend a Kevlar-belted tire
that would reduce the incidence of these kinds of flats. I personally
have the belted foldable Paselas (I believe they're called "TourGuard"
or something like that) but I'm not a particularly flat-prone person -
in fact I've only had two flats in recent memory; one of which was a
tube failure at the valve stem and one of which was due to me trying
to use the rim tape I had on hand rather than buying the right stuff,
so I can't say whether or not these tires would be good for your
application.

nate
Old September 24th 09, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BobT[_3_]

"elfa" wrote in message
I'm fairly new to biking and in the last three days I had to fix a flat
tire
three times. I know flats "come with territory" but I was wondering if a
self-sealing tube is considered something worth buying.

For me, the thing that causes the flats are just the small dried thorns
you find
along the highways in California. It's never nails or glass...always a
small
thorn about 1/4 in long.

I ride almost every day but it's for physical therapy for my old legs
(I've had
both hips replaced). I'm not an avid bicyclist.

thanks

elfa

Self sealing tubes do help. Specialized and Slime make liquids that can be
added to some tubes to achieve the same effect.

In your territory (three flats in three days), you might consider getting
new tires that would be more resistant to punctures. Look for a tire with a
Kevlar belt. Kevlar is often used in body armor. Small thorns often cannot
penetrate the Kevlar belt to ever reach the tube.

An expensive and heavy solution would be one of the puncture resistant tires
from Schwalbe such as the Marathon Plus. I use this tire combined with
Specialized Air Lock tube sealant on my commuter bike. I have not had a flat
with this setup since I starting using it three years ago. I live in an
area where I have had three flats in one ride before switching to puncture
resistant tires.

BobT

Old September 24th 09, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 24 Sep, 14:37, "BobT"
wrote:
"elfa" wrote in message

[...]

A belted tyre will ride harsher than a non-belted tyre which may be a
concern if you do not select a wide tyre when choosing a belted tyre.

An expensive and heavy solution would be one of the puncture resistant tires
from Schwalbe such as the Marathon Plus. *I use this tire combined with
Specialized Air Lock tube sealant on my commuter bike. I have not had a flat
with this setup since I starting *using it three years ago. *I live in an
area where I have had three flats in one ride before switching to puncture
resistant tires.

Another belt and braces approach is to place a tubular tyre inside,
instead of an inner tube. The choice of tub and wired on match for a
particular rim is critcal to get good running in comparison to
selecting an inner tube. This sort of approach is OK for the
powerful, fit rider who cannot afford the time to repair a puncture.
Bicycle couriers are known to use this trick. I've used it when
having to ride slush and ice and just could not bear repairing
repeated punctures in the cold and wet. This could be particularly
important if far from home and the wind is up.
Old September 24th 09, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
elfa

In article , BobT says...

"elfa" wrote in message
[...]

I'm going to buy a new tire for the rear (a really old knobby) with a kevlar
belt from Bell or Schwinn. I'm out of work so I can't spend much. They cost
about $12 at Target. The front tire is a new tire (had four flats already with
that one...again...just small plant thorns along the roadway seems to cause the
flats). It's not a knobby.

Is it better to have the tires at the high end of the inflation range or low end
as far as reducing flats is concerned?

elfa