Quick Release Cam Mechanism & Skewers Fpor Threaded Axle Question?

Old April 10th 11, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bob[_19_]

Default Quick Release Cam Mechanism & Skewers Fpor Threaded Axle Question?

Hello,

Getting back into some light riding after many, many, years.

Have an older Fuji road bike with the wheel hubs being threaded
on both ends to take a nut. Certainly doesn't appear to be hollow.

Would like to get a Quick-Release cam for the front wheel.

I see they all seem to use "skewers," and a hollow axle.

Any quick release cam mechanism available for just a threaded,
non-hollow, axle ? Any other possibilities without having to buy new
wheels ?

Or,...?

Thanks,
Bob
Old April 17th 11, 08:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default Quick Release Cam Mechanism & Skewers For Threaded Axle Question?

On 4/10/2011 2:53 PM, Bob wrote:
Hello,

Getting back into some light riding after many, many, years.

Have an older Fuji road bike with the wheel hubs being threaded
on both ends to take a nut. Certainly doesn't appear to be hollow.

Would like to get a Quick-Release cam for the front wheel.

I see they all seem to use "skewers," and a hollow axle.

Any quick release cam mechanism available for just a threaded,
non-hollow, axle ?

There used to be one made by a small company for the Sachs 3x7 hub, but
that was a rare and expensive part. Getting something similar made
would be more expensive than a new front wheel.

Any other possibilities without having to buy new
wheels ?

Depends if the hubs on the wheels you have can have the axles replaced
with hollow ones. Drilling out the solid axles to accept skewers
*might* be possible, but would not be economically feasible if done
properly.

Similarly, replacing the hubs in your existing wheels would likely be
more bother and expense than getting new wheels. New machine built
wheels are inexpensive, and can provide good service if you have a
competent bicycle mechanic tension, stress relieve, and true before use.

Or,...?

Get a "peanut butter wrench" [1] and live with the wheels you have.

[1] Available at your local bike shop (LBS), but rumor has it that the
Campy version is being discontinued.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old April 17th 11, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 4/17/2011 3:12 AM, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° wrote:
On 4/10/2011 2:53 PM, Bob wrote:
[...]

If the wheel axle is a standard diameter and pitch, the simple thing to
do would be to buy a new hub and scavenge the axle and quick release. If
it's a cup & cone bearing it's a simple matter of just moving the cones
& locknuts to the new axle. Front hubs are pretty cheap. Of course, for
a few bucks more, you can just buy a new front wheel, they're pretty
cheap these days, too, and depending on the condition/quality of the old
wheel, might be a worthwhile upgrade, anyway.

I had the same issue with an 80's vintage Fuji that I set up for my
daughter. I didn't want her messing with axle nuts (or me either), so I
junked the wheels and swapped them for a more recent vintage pair from
an Ebay bike, I'll upgrade that one to new wheels (for me) and everybody
will be happy. I won't discard the wheels, I'll probably use them for a
bike trailer or something.

I dislike freewheels and friction shifting, and find most (cheap) old
rear derailers to be heavy and sloppy, so I typically just pop for a new
wheel set, cassette, r. derailer and shifters when rehabbing old bikes.
I'll often use MTB r. derailers with bar-end shifters to keep it cheap.
It's possible to switch to flat bars at the same time and go with
inexpensive MTB brifters, but that leaves you with the problem of
running V-brake levers with incompatible calipers. There are
work-arounds, but it gets kludgey, so I generally stick with drop bars,
though I toss the originals, the ergonomics are usually terrible.

In the end, it can resemble the "stone soup" fable, but that's the way
it goes. Old bikes, particularly mid-quality and lower, often don't have
a lot of salvageable parts, and making a hybrid of old and new may not
make much economic sense, particularly if your paying someone else to do
the wrenching and/or paying full retail for the parts. I do it mostly to
be able to use old frames in sizes that aren't available any more.