click click click revisited

Old July 4th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default click click click revisited

aha! it's the chainstay- it's cracked!
is there a cost effective way to fix a crack in an aluminum frame?

Old July 4th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"greggery peccary" .@. wrote in message
aha! it's the chainstay- it's cracked!
is there a cost effective way to fix a crack in an aluminum frame?

"Welding - Aluminum and alloys" in your local Yellow Pages.

YMMV.

B.

Old July 4th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

greggery peccary wrote:

is there a cost effective way to fix a crack in an aluminum frame?

No.
Old July 4th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

greggery peccary wrote:
aha! it's the chainstay- it's cracked!
is there a cost effective way to fix a crack in an aluminum frame?

a certified welder can help and even more if they make frames too.
All is not lost. Check your local bike shop and maybe they can help.
The frame maker may also be of help too. A lot of frames maintain a
warranty against such failures.
Old July 4th 06, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

greggery peccary wrote:
aha! it's the chainstay- it's cracked!
is there a cost effective way to fix a crack in an aluminum frame?

Replacement. (Don't screw with welding and all that; life's too short,
man.)

See if it's warrantied. If not, either buy a similar replacement frame
(should be pretty cheap?) and swap everything over, or buy a whole new bike
and keep the old stuff for backups or a rainy day project bike.

Time to go...SHOPPING!

Glad you found it (and not the hard way),

Sorni

Old July 4th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"mrbubl" wrote in message
ink.net...
greggery peccary wrote:
aha! it's the chainstay- it's cracked!
is there a cost effective way to fix a crack in an aluminum frame?

a certified welder can help and even more if they make frames too.
All is not lost. Check your local bike shop and maybe they can help.
The frame maker may also be of help too. A lot of frames maintain a
warranty against such failures.

i called REI & they told me it was too old (2003) and that they (novara)
dont sell the frames by themselves. they did tell me that i could try to
invoke the "satisfaction guarantee"
-alan (member since '92)

Old July 4th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
greggery peccary wrote:
aha! it's the chainstay- it's cracked!
is there a cost effective way to fix a crack in an aluminum frame?

Replacement. (Don't screw with welding and all that; life's too short,
man.)

See if it's warrantied. If not, either buy a similar replacement frame
(should be pretty cheap?) and swap everything over, or buy a whole new

bike
and keep the old stuff for backups or a rainy day project bike.

Time to go...SHOPPING!

Glad you found it (and not the hard way),

Sorni

thanks. ya now my prob is finding a frame that fits like the novara! rei
tells me they dont sell the frames by themselves and i remember it was the
only bike that fit me well. it's got a little longer reach. the bianchis and
treks made me feel smushed and falling over the front

Old July 4th 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

greggery peccary wrote:
aha! it's the chainstay- it's cracked!
is there a cost effective way to fix a crack in an aluminum frame?

Replacement. (Don't screw with welding and all that; life's too
short, man.)

See if it's warrantied. If not, either buy a similar replacement
frame (should be pretty cheap?) and swap everything over, or buy a
whole new bike and keep the old stuff for backups or a rainy day
project bike.

Time to go...SHOPPING!

Glad you found it (and not the hard way),

Sorni

thanks. ya now my prob is finding a frame that fits like the novara!
rei tells me they dont sell the frames by themselves and i remember
it was the only bike that fit me well. it's got a little longer
reach. the bianchis and treks made me feel smushed and falling over
the front

Ebay? Craigslist? Even if you only find complete Novara bikes, might be
your best bet.

Live long and click-free!

Sorni

Old July 4th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"greggery peccary" wrote: i called REI & they told me it was too old
(2003) and that they (novara) dont sell the frames by themselves. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Unthinkable. A reputable store sells you a bike, and three years later
tells you it is junk? Got to a higher level of management and ask for some
form of satisfaction. If those bikes are really that short lived and
unreliable, they should discontinue the line, and tell the manufacturer
why.

Old July 4th 06, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"greggery peccary" wrote: i called REI & they told me it was too old
(2003) and that they (novara) dont sell the frames by themselves.
(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Unthinkable. A reputable store sells you a bike, and three years
later tells you it is junk? Got to a higher level of management and
ask for some form of satisfaction. If those bikes are really that
short lived and unreliable, they should discontinue the line, and
tell the manufacturer why.

Leo, why did you "clip" his very next sentence? "they did tell me that i
could try to invoke the "satisfaction guarantee"

(Granted, it's missing capital letters and punctuation, but... eg )

If the crack is truly a frame failure and not due to any "special event"
(such as a crash, chronic shoe rubbing {?}, or whatever), then yes, the OP
should at least talk to REI about a replacement. Can't hurt to ask.

click click click greggery peccary General 35 July 6th 06 05:51 PM
crank click? Michael Techniques 0 May 6th 06 11:51 PM
click! tom UK 7 August 31st 05 12:06 AM
Turn Six Dollars Into Sixty Thousand Dollars frank General 0 February 5th 04 05:54 PM