Opinion on a bike?

Old July 30th 05, 05:00 AM
Joseph J.

Default Opinion on a bike?

I getting back into roadbiking now that I have more I've been looking
at a true road bike to replace my aging 94 Kona cinder cone. back
when I used to race in 1993, I had a trek aluminum bike with downtube
shifters (105, 7 speed). I liked that bike.

Well today I saw a really nice bike (at least based on my knowledge
from 10 years back) and I was wondering if it is any good? It costs
$499.00 cdn (~$400 USD?).

any opinions?

http://www.schwinn.ca/BikeDetails.js...Bike=71-1440-6

for some context, I'm thinking if I get back into amateur racing I
could replace the groupo to something better...otherwise I'd just have
a nice sport bike...

Thanks all...

Old July 30th 05, 06:44 AM
Ken

"Joseph J." wrote in news:1122696017.351539.190790
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
http://www.schwinn.ca/BikeDetails.js...Bike=71-1440-6

for some context, I'm thinking if I get back into amateur racing I
could replace the groupo to something better...otherwise I'd just have
a nice sport bike...

I've never seen one of these in person. The frame looks very basic (heavy and
non-responsie). The fork is black, but that appears to be painted metal (no
idea what kind), so will be somewhat heavier than most carbon forks.
Personally, I would go up a little in price to something like a Trek 1000 or
Giant OCR3 (about US$600). Buy it from a real bike shop so you can get
professional assembly and professional fitting.
Old July 30th 05, 10:04 AM
Mykal

oups.com...

http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/index.jsp

Old July 30th 05, 02:42 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Joseph J. wrote:
I getting back into roadbiking now that I have more I've been looking
at a true road bike to replace my aging 94 Kona cinder cone. back
when I used to race in 1993, I had a trek aluminum bike with downtube
shifters (105, 7 speed). I liked that bike.

Well today I saw a really nice bike (at least based on my knowledge
from 10 years back) and I was wondering if it is any good? It costs
$499.00 cdn (~$400 USD?).

any opinions?

http://www.schwinn.ca/BikeDetails.js...Bike=71-1440-6

for some context, I'm thinking if I get back into amateur racing I
could replace the groupo to something better...otherwise I'd just have
a nice sport bike...

Thanks all...

Does it fit you? If it does, a good entry level bicycle that will serve
you well. If you race, the only thing you may want to replace is the
shifters as the upshift thumb button on Sora shifters is not reachable
from the handelbar drops. A must if you race, IMO....but fit is key.
WAY to much emphasis on higher end stuff, the bicycle is a pretty small
part of the equation of riding and racing well.

My New Bike brucianna General 6 June 8th 05 08:45 AM
Windosr Tourist Bike Revisiited Earl Bollinger General 16 February 13th 05 08:04 PM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price General 0 June 1st 04 04:52 AM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM