new bike research

Old July 28th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mary

Default new bike research

I am in the very preliminary stages of looking for a new road bike. 8 years
ago, when I researched and than bought the bike I have, I had a number of
websites and other references to read and look at to help me decide what
type of frame, components etc. Well 8 years have past and I have no idea
where to go to start looking into things. Any suggestions (web sites,
magazines etc) would be greatly appreciated. I used a site that allowed me
to list each bike and it's stats right next to each other for comparison.
Anyone run across that lately? Thanks

Old July 28th 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

Mary wrote:
I am in the very preliminary stages of looking for a new road bike. 8 years
ago, when I researched and than bought the bike I have, I had a number of
websites and other references to read and look at to help me decide what
type of frame, components etc. Well 8 years have past and I have no idea
where to go to start looking into things. Any suggestions (web sites,
magazines etc) would be greatly appreciated. I used a site that allowed me
to list each bike and it's stats right next to each other for comparison.
Anyone run across that lately? Thanks

I don't know of a web site like that. If you can't find one and want
some word of mouth advice, a good place to start might be to state what
you are riding now, how much you ride and what you do and don't like
about your present bike.

When I was looking for a new bike, I relied on good local retailer
websites since I intended to buy locally if I could that time. It seems
that a lot of them have the same source for their websites and have
their inventory searchable by price, type of bike, etc. From those
websites and occasionally the manufacturer's sites, I learned enough
about components and pricing to make up my mind.