Full Face Helmet-peripheral vision?

Old October 19th 04, 11:25 PM
Steffik

Default Full Face Helmet-peripheral vision?

I am slowly and painfully coming back to cycling after a few years'
hiatus. After a nice incident where I forgot how to brake and gaily
catapulted myself over the handlebars on a completely flat road *on
the way to the trail* I think I might like to be a wimp and look into
full-face helmets. Probably something more like the Giro Switchblade
than a BMX or downhill style.

Questions for owners;

How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
light traffic?

And also, in general; why visors on helmets? I had a Giro Riviera
(cheap but serviceable, no visor) for some time and never really felt
the need for one. Are they generally integral/essential to the helmet
or can you detach them?

Thanks for any advice,
Steff
Old October 20th 04, 12:31 AM
Can O' Ale

Steffik wrote:
I am slowly and painfully coming back to cycling after a few years'
hiatus. After a nice incident where I forgot how to brake and gaily
catapulted myself over the handlebars on a completely flat road *on
the way to the trail*

I've done that too a couple of times. My problem stems from my time
riding BMX when I used to have the levers reversed to help with certain
freestyle tricks. Even 17 years later my mind sometimes regresses and
wants me to jam on the front brake instead of the back

How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
light traffic?

You definitely have to be a little more aware of what's going on around
you, as they do reduce your peripheral senses a bit. I find they feel
more secure than the more traditional 'aerodynamic cycling helmets',
which always felt uncomfortable to me as if they were just sitting on
top of my head rather than enveloping it, and felt they could easily be
detached in a fall. Any is better than none though, as long as it
doesn't seriously hinder hearing/vision in traffic.

And also, in general; why visors on helmets? I had a Giro Riviera
(cheap but serviceable, no visor) for some time and never really felt
the need for one. Are they generally integral/essential to the helmet
or can you detach them?

Visors are to keep the sun out of your eyes - if you're lucky enough to
live somewhere that has much sun
They're often detachable - plastic bmx-style helmet visors are usually
held on by plastic screws, fibreglass helmets sometimes use metal
press-studs. Some helmets look OK with the visor off, others look a
little strange.

Don't worry about looking silly wearing a helmet, it's sillier not to
wear one in traffic.

Old October 20th 04, 12:32 AM
Scott

"Steffik" wrote in message
How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
light traffic?

I don't have any negative experiences with hearing and peripheral vision
while wearing my full face. I have no problem riding in light traffic with
one on either.

And also, in general; why visors on helmets? I had a Giro Riviera
(cheap but serviceable, no visor) for some time and never really felt
the need for one. Are they generally integral/essential to the helmet
or can you detach them?

I have the SixSixOne Full Bravo and the visor comes off but I have never had
a compelling reason to take it off.

If you feel like you need a FFace helmet then don't choose the Giro
Switchblade. That thing would bust up in a real crash.

Old October 20th 04, 01:43 AM
Michael Dart

"Steffik" wrote in message
om...
[...]

The Giro Switchblade is no longer in production. So you're limited to a
bicycle rated full face helmet like the 661 full bravo or others with vents.
Peripheral vision hasn't been a problem for me with any full face helmet
made for goggles.

Visors for helmets offer shade from the sun but is mainly a fashion
statement. I've found I ride better without one as I can focus further on
down the trail. Most are adjustable or easily removable.

Mike

Old October 20th 04, 03:07 AM
JD

Bruce Edge wrote in message ...
The Giro's are nice because they have an adj. visor, so you can put it
right where the sun is.

Yeah, tilting your head down a few degrees is such a pain.

JD
Old October 20th 04, 03:48 AM
J G

"JD" wrote in message
om...
Bruce Edge wrote in message

The Giro's are nice because they have an adj. visor, so you can put it
right where the sun is.

Yeah, tilting your head down a few degrees is such a pain.

After several miles of riding it can be a pain in the neck, literally.

What's next Shoei full face w/ smoked visor and Aerostich Roadcrafters?
I wonder if I can get the Frog cleats attached to the bottom of my Sidi
Motorcycle boots?-(

Old October 20th 04, 04:23 AM
JD

From: "J G"
"JD" wrote in message
. com...
Bruce Edge wrote in message

The Giro's are nice because they have an adj. visor, so you can put it
right where the sun is.

Yeah, tilting your head down a few degrees is such a pain.

After several miles of riding it can be a pain in the neck, literally.

The last time I checked, the Sun rises and sets pretty rapidly.

JD
Old October 20th 04, 07:40 AM
Mr_Kingkillaha

Steffik Wrote:

[...]

Hearing, I never considered as i didn't ride in traffic. But lack of
vision is the reason i stopped wearing full-face. That was dirt
jumping bmx, I would never ride with one while cars are zooming past.

Visors are detachable on most helmets.

Have you thought about the skater style helmets? They offer more skull
coverage than the aero ones, and more vision than full-face.
$20 @ danscomp.com

--
Mr_Kingkillaha

Old October 20th 04, 10:38 AM
spademan o---[\) *

"Steffik" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I have a Giro switchblade, to be honest I'm not sure that the detatchable
'chin guard' would do much good in a crash. No problems wih peripheral
vision or hearing as on the switchblade these bits are the same as with a
normal helmet, would be different for a proper full face I imagine. Only
thing it really effects is other peoples ability to hear you as your voice
is muffled by the guard...

As for the peak well mine snapped off about 4 years ago and I haven't missed
it.

Steve.

Old October 20th 04, 12:59 PM
Steffik

Can O' Ale wrote in message ...
Steffik wrote:
I am slowly and painfully coming back to cycling after a few years'
hiatus. After a nice incident where I forgot how to brake and gaily
catapulted myself over the handlebars on a completely flat road *on
the way to the trail*

I've done that too a couple of times. My problem stems from my time
riding BMX when I used to have the levers reversed to help with certain
freestyle tricks. Even 17 years later my mind sometimes regresses and
wants me to jam on the front brake instead of the back

Ouch! At least you have a *good* excuse. Hard front braking was a
childhood habit with me; I thought I'd trained myself out of it and
indeed I do remember thinking "Lots of back, little front, lots of
back-waaaark!" and then lying on the tarmac with a small bevy of road
cyclists looking concernedly at me. Luckily I'm in the UK and the
'trails' around where I live hardly count as such, so I'm not likely
to encounter seriously diffucult terrain off-road.

How do they affect your hearing and peripheral vision?
That in mind, would you feel safe (never mind silly!) using one in
light traffic?

You definitely have to be a little more aware of what's going on around
you, as they do reduce your peripheral senses a bit. I find they feel
more secure than the more traditional 'aerodynamic cycling helmets',
which always felt uncomfortable to me as if they were just sitting on
top of my head rather than enveloping it, and felt they could easily be
detached in a fall. Any is better than none though, as long as it
doesn't seriously hinder hearing/vision in traffic.

Apparently some of the more aerodynamic styles are easier to knock or
drag off your head in a fall-less rounded shape, more protrusions.
Unfortunately, I may have to accept that, since my traffic sense is
pretty cruddy at the best of times and a very enveloping helmet might
be dangerous-the best protection from an accident is not to have an
accident at all.

snip some stuff about visors
Don't worry about looking silly wearing a helmet, it's sillier not to
wear one in traffic.

Excellent point. And, in fact, some of the full face ones *do* look
satisfyingly menacing; with that and some official looking reflective
bands I'd like to think motorists would give me a wide berth... :-D

Thanks for the advice,
Steff

Full Face Helmets Danny Colyer UK 4 May 14th 04 11:35 AM
Helmet Advice DDEckerslyke Social Issues 17 September 2nd 03 11:10 PM
Full Face Helmets? Wallatmarsark Unicycling 3 July 11th 03 05:00 PM