Replacement for rim with offset spokes

Old July 23rd 03, 02:54 AM
Richard

Default Replacement for rim with offset spokes

I'm not sure if I'm using the correct terminology but I have a Trek 7000
that has
offset spokes on the rear wheel. By offset I mean that the spokes don't
connect
to the rim along the centerline, but off to one side (all spokes offset to
the same
side). I had the need to replace the rim because of rock damage and my bike
shop threaded my hub and spokes (I think they were my old spokes) on to a
new
rim that wasn't offset. Is that an error on their part? Should a bike that
has an offset
rim only be replace with an offset rim or could a regular rim be used. I'm
guessing that
the offset rim works in tandem with a special offset hub (and spokes). It
seems that
an offset rim would require longer spokes on one side than the other.

I'm asking this because I went for my first ride with the new rim and it was
a disaster.
Half way through the ride I knew something wasn't right. Most of the spokes
were
now loose (some would move as much as an inch). I've been very happy with
the
bike shops mechanical skills up to this point, but this latest work has
shaken my
confidence.

Now I need to know what kind of rim to replace my offset with (links to
appropriate
repalcements at nashbar, etc would be appreciated.)

Thx

Old July 23rd 03, 12:15 PM
Michael Dart

"Richard" wrote in message
. ca...
[...]

It should've been all right. There's only 1-2mm difference in spoke length
between spokes for an OCR rim and a normal one. It doesn't sound like they
properly tensioned the new rim which is the main reason things loosen up
during riding. Or they ran out of thread but you would see a considerable
amount of spoke protruding from the nipple inside the rim if this is the
case. If you are really concerned find a better wheelbuilder in your area
and have the spokes replaced as well. New ones are less than a buck a
piece.

Mike