Interesting thing about areas near roundabouts in Cambridge Ontario

Old September 11th 18, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default Interesting thing about areas near roundabouts in Cambridge Ontario

Went for a ride the other day and passed through Cambridge Ontario on the way to another city. We went to stop at a favourite restaurant in Cambridge and discovered that this city has a weird way of doing the areas near some of the roundabouts. The weird thing is a concrete road divider that runs from roundabout to roundabout. In the case of the restaurant we wanted to go to, the distance from the road we were on to the restaurant after turning right onto the road it's on was @110 meters. They have put a roundabout in instead of the stoplights that used to be there plus they've added this concrete barrier to the road the restaurant is on. This means that instead of driving/cycling @110 meters to get to the restaurant you have to drive all the way to the next roundabout, go through that roundabout and then drive back up to the entrance to the restaurant. That is a distance of just about 1..5 KILOMETERS.

The road above the first roundabout (if you turn left instead of right) continues to another roundabout and this road to that roundabout is also divided by a concrete barrier. This again forces people to drive/cycle quite a bit further (+1 kilometer) to get to a driveway to another plaza.

So much for conserving energy or getting more people to use bicycles instead of cars.

I really do wonder what the road planners were thinking when they approved those concrete road barriers.

Cheers
Old September 11th 18, 05:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 20:12:04 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

I don't know about you but when I'm on form I average 16 - 18 KM/Hour
in city traffic. Your 1 km. distance amounts to 3.75 minutes and of
course 3.27 minutes back again.
Old September 11th 18, 10:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

If there are sidewalks, they expect up to 85% and more of cyclists will.
instead of riding the extra last mile, just (ab)use 110m of sidewalk to
reach their destination on the wrong way of the street?

The road above the first roundabout (if you turn left instead of right)
continues to another roundabout and this road to that roundabout is also
divided by a concrete barrier. This again forces people to drive/cycle
quite a bit further (+1 kilometer) to get to a driveway to another
plaza.

So much for conserving energy or getting more people to use bicycles
instead of cars.

I really do wonder what the road planners were thinking when they
approved those concrete road barriers.

Anti-turrarizm? Or about the (purely ficticious!) Head of road-safety
directorate's newest piece of real estate that, in two years, will change
hands at about double the purchasing price which, of course, has nothing to
do with a developer remotely connected to the concrete-barrier company?
Old September 11th 18, 11:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On 11/09/18 13:12, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Umm, what stopped you parking and just walking across the road?
You don't have cross walks you can wheel the nicycle across?

I really do wonder what the road planners were thinking when they approved those concrete road barriers.

Catering for the lowwest common driver.

Old September 11th 18, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 6:07:27 AM UTC-4, news18 wrote:
[...]

There's no parking on those streets.

Also, if you get caught riding on a bicycle on the sidewalk you can get fined. If you get fined for riding on the sidewalk you'll most likely get fined also for not having a bell or horn on your bicycle and for not having a light if it's dark out.

I don't see many people getting ticketed for riding on the sidewalk but all those I have seen get ticketed were also ticketed for every other infraction they committed such as not having a bell or at night not having a working light.

Cheers
Old September 11th 18, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/10/2018 10:12 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

It seems a simple (extant) stop sign or flashing red is not
nearly expensive enough to add in the proper gratuities.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 11th 18, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

On 11/09/2018 9:37 AM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Maybe the concept is the same as IKEA. You have to pass everything else
they want to sell you to get to what you're looking for...
Old September 11th 18, 02:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/11/2018 4:18 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Not so sure a loop-the-loop would stop a jihadi but zombies,
being former humans, may well just get confused and go the
wrong way. So there's that potential benefit.

Old September 11th 18, 04:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 9/10/2018 11:12 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

It does sound weird! I tried looking around the Google Maps views of
Cambridge ON. The map view shows quite a few roundabouts, but the
satellite views were shot before most roundabouts were built, so details
aren't visible.

Most roundabouts have some provision for pedestrians (although I agree
with a pedestrian advocate I know, who claims roundabouts are less safe
for peds). Can you simply pull off and walk across the roundabout?

You'd then face 110 meters of sidewalk, I suppose. I generally caution
against sidewalk riding, but it's not an absolute condemnation.
Depending on the legal climate, I suppose you could walk the bike that
distance, or ride very slowly. Alternately, you could continue on the
road until you were across from the restaurant and "jaywalk."
Jurisdictions vary, but anywhere I've been, none of those would likely
result in a ticket.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 11th 18, 05:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, September 11, 2018 at 11:15:55 AM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Yes, there are areas near the roundabouts where supposedly pedestrians can cross and there are even markings painted on the road to show where pedestrians are supposed to cross. Unfortunately those crossings are precisely where motor traffic is picking up speed when leaving the roundabout. Those roundabouts have mounds with shrubs and other crap on them in the middle and thus you can't see very far into the roundabout which are so small that an 18-wheeler needs two lanes in order to negotiate them. Once in a while an 18-wheeler gets stuck in one and man then the traffic really backs up.

Trying to cross any of the bigger streets with the roundabouts during rush hour is playing Traffic Russian Roulette. One time when only the one roundabout was there (the other end still had traffic lights) I tried crossing on foot during rush hour. It took one-half hour for a big enough break in traffic to be able to dash across that road. Now that the traffic lights are gone you don't get a break in traffic flow that you used to.

I guess it's just more proof that the roads there are being designed/built/modified for the automobile and not for bicyclists or pedestrians.

Cheers

Roundabouts Trevor Brown UK 158 August 27th 08 05:52 PM
Windsor Ontario to Hamilton Ontario area CP Rides 5 January 25th 07 01:36 PM
A funny thing happened at the velodrome, or ... why helmets are a good thing! Bleve Australia 43 January 11th 07 11:09 AM
RR (Cambridge to) London to Cambridge Simon Proven UK 1 July 23rd 06 02:58 PM
Interesting thing on the (Melb, Vic) Merri Creek path in the bigpaper wed magazine fred_kneeman Australia 1 November 24th 04 10:06 PM