Inappropriate advertisement

Old March 14th 06, 07:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

Default Inappropriate advertisement

Here is correspondence sent to Bicycling Magazine . I think the ad is
inappropriate for a cycling magazine.
I am a new subscriber. I am 66 years old and a parent of 6 and
grandparent of 33. I have 4 great grandchildren. I am not a prude,
however there is a ad in your marketplace section by LIBERATOR to which
I object. I share my magazines with my grandchildren and hope that they
will be intrested in cycling. However, that ad has nothing to do with
cycling and is extremely suggestive, also possibly suggesting that it is
ordinary fare for cyclists. If you desire to keep publishing that ad or
others like it, please refund my unused subscription amount and cancel
my subscription. Otherwise, I enjoy your magazine and would enjoy
continuing to recieve it. The choice is yours.
Thank you very much for your consideration.
Lloyd Payne

Their response:
Thank you for contacting Bicycling Magazine.
Although you asked us to stop your subscription, our records indicate
that your account is paid for future copies. Since most of our
customers wish to receive any prepaid copies, we will continue service
until your subscription expires. Should you prefer a refund, simply
return this email instructing us.
Thank you
Bicycling Magazine
ji

My last response to them:
Bicycling Magazine,
ji
As I satated in my original message, I do not wish to recieve any more of
your magazines that contain advertisements for LIBERATOR. I asked you to
indicate if you are going to continue those advertisements and instructed
you to refund my subscription price if you are going to continue to carry
them. They have NO PLACE in a cycling magazine. Please do as I instructed
you. The choice is now up to you and I will do what I need to do next
depending on your response.

Very Sincerely
Lloyd V. Payne

Old March 14th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

"Lloyd Payne" writes:

Here is correspondence sent to Bicycling Magazine . I think the ad is
inappropriate for a cycling magazine.

snip
Lloyd Payne

Their response:

snip
My last response to them:

snip
Very Sincerely
Lloyd V. Payne

The only way to get an American company to stop sending you its rag is
to tell it point blank to cancel your subscription with no caveats.

Most magazines won't care what an individual thinks about an
advertisement as long as large numbers of subscribers don't get mad
enough to cancel their subscriptions, and in a country whose motto
should be "scams R us" (truth in advertising), they will string you
along as long as possible.

I won't buy a magazine subscription from any U.S. company. I've heard
too many horror stories about people begging for months to get the
company to let them cancel (with a threat of damaging their credit
ratings and heaven help them if the companies have their credit-card
numbers and think they can automatically charge for a renewal).

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old March 20th 06, 04:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

Interestingly, I've been getting issues and issues of "Best Life" and
"The New Yorker" despite each one allegedly being my very last issue!
So perhaps it works both ways...or maybe my having gotten them free in
the first place, as gift subscriptions for signing for salon.com
"premium," is what did the trick....

And yes, I hate advertising, which is odd, considering that I'd thought
I was going to do it for a career once, having read Olgivy's
"Confessions of An Advertising Man"....

Old March 23rd 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.soc

Lloyd Payne wrote:

My last response to them:
Bicycling Magazine,
ji
As I satated in my original message, I do not wish to recieve any more of
your magazines that contain advertisements for LIBERATOR. I asked you to
indicate if you are going to continue those advertisements and instructed
you to refund my subscription price if you are going to continue to carry
them. They have NO PLACE in a cycling magazine. Please do as I instructed
you. The choice is now up to you and I will do what I need to do next
depending on your response.

A while back PC Magazine was bombarded by similar letters for ads which
were clearly sexual and nothing to do with computers. PC Mag stopped the
ads and now won't run similar.

However, I noted that a while back Bicycling had an entire 'sex' issue
so don't expect it to stop sex type ads. As far as saying if the ad will
run again, the mag can't tell. It demands that the Liberator people
place the ad.

What is a Liberator? Is it a sex thing?