Can Saddles Restrict Bloodflow To Legs?

Old November 4th 10, 08:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Default Can Saddles Restrict Bloodflow To Legs?

On 11/4/2010 1:19 AM, Michael Press wrote:
In ,
Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]
I never have this problem, while comfortably positioned on a proper
seat, while riding.

We're talking about saddles.

Identifying the problem is the first step, which Mr. Press has
accomplished.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old November 4th 10, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
kolldata

SIT BONES DEVELOP strong sit bone tissue with use. And use for a
specific saddle. Or puttinf this another way, your nervous system in
entirety-tire tea get it ?- tends to ignore those transmissions until
fatal injury looms on the horizon.
As to type, the upright saddle has numerous injury vectors and so the
recumbent. Inhaling ground hugging debris is one. Ask yourself this !
would you have a sore butt or tuberculosis ?

Old November 4th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
MikeWhy

"kolldata" wrote in message
Take an online look at Specialized seats. Spec once sold a T seat
where the sit bones rested on the horizontal and nose was the
vertical completely solving the rub probl m but alas gone the way of
uh ?

Nice. There's very little like a good, hard wallop on the nutsack to teach
you to avoid potholes at speed, except you can't always avoid potholes at
speed. Tell me again, since I missed the explanation, why anyone would want
to use *that* body part to absorb the jolts and impacts of riding on rough
roads? The seat moves up and to rear relative to rider when hitting road
imperfections.

Old November 4th 10, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

http://www.blogiseverything.com/files/pics/nuclear_bomb_comparison.gif

Old November 4th 10, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Michael Press

In article ,
Tom Sherman °_° wrote:

On 11/4/2010 1:19 AM, Michael Press wrote:
In ,
Tom Sherman wrote:
[...]
I never have this problem, while comfortably positioned on a proper
seat, while riding.

We're talking about saddles.

Identifying the problem is the first step, which Mr. Press has
accomplished.

Problem identified.

--
Michael Press
Old November 4th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
thirty-six

On Nov 4, 2:59*pm, kolldata wrote:
SIT BONES DEVELOP strong sit bone tissue with use. And use for a
specific saddle. Or puttinf this another way, your nervous system in
entirety-tire tea get it ?- tends to ignore those transmissions until
fatal injury looms on the horizon.
As to type, the upright saddle has numerous injury vectors and so the
recumbent. Inhaling ground hugging debris is one. Ask yourself this !
would you have a sore butt or tuberculosis ?

Never mind long term health risks, I just wouldn't like to be sucking
on the exhaust pipes of city traffic, spoils the taste of beer for
one. Get a lungfull (or two) of a deisel starting up from cold and
that low-rider becomes a museum piece. I might like the look of them,
but not the impracticalities in today's environment.
Old November 4th 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Steve Sr.

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 20:38:54 -0400, Steve Sr.
wrote:

Hello,

I am currently saddle shopping and are currently trying a Terry FLX
which was on sale at Performance. I went for my first ride today and
had little to no sit bones discomfort.

However, the saddle did feel kind of wide through the mid section to
the point that it might be restricting blood flow to my legs. The clue
was that my legs felt kind of heavy until I stood up. Then things felt
o.k. until after I had been sitting down for a while.

Am I imagining this or can this really happen? I don't think my sit
bones protrude very far but then I have no way of comparing to what a
saddle was originally designed for. I don't know if this could be a
contributing factor.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks fo everyones input and suggestions. I think that I am going to
try a few more adjustments and see how things go. Terry recommended a
level position and I think it is currently slightly nose up but not
enough to cause any numbness issues. I'll get out a real level this
time so I'll be starting in a known position.

BTW, do any of you know of any resources on how to assess saddle width
knowing the spacing of your sit bones? Mine appear to be about 95mm. I
don't know if that could be considered narrow, normal, or wide and how
to pick a saddle for this known width..

Thanks,

Steve
Old November 5th 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc

On Nov 4, 7:26*pm, Steve Sr. wrote:

BTW, do any of you know of any resources on how to assess saddle width
knowing the spacing of your sit bones? Mine appear to be about 95mm. I
don't know if that could be considered narrow, normal, or wide and how
to pick a saddle for this known width..

Thanks,

Steve- Hide quoted text -

Saw the below posted on another forum. It looks like if your 95mm is
real, you're narrow. I like a saddle that's at least 20mm wider than
sit bone center-to-center dimension.

"Ischial Tuberosity Spacing stats

Found this in my old uni notes and wanted to post it here for easy
reference:

Ischial Tuberosity Spacing among women:
5th percentile 112 mm
50th percentile 130 mm
95th percentile 148 mm

Ischial Tuberosity Spacing among men:
5th percentile 100 mm
50th percentile 118 mm
95th percentile 137 mm

I don't remember the population this data was taken from, but I
remember being under the impression that it was a very large number of
individuals and it was considered "safe" to assume it might represent
the whole world.

I've used this info to help narrow the search - once I learned I was
wider the 95th percentile(!) I stopped bothering with a lot of narrow
saddles."
Old November 5th 10, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
On Nov 4, 7:26 pm, Steve Sr. wrote:

[...]

Excellent post AlmostFast. However, narrow racing style saddles will suit
almost no one. They are designed for their sleek looks and light weight.
They are not even much good for leaning against as opposed to sitting on.

We need wide saddles, the touring style. That is because we will sit on
them.

A complete and total solution to the problem of saddles is the recumbent
style of bicycle. Recumbents provided a proper seat which you can sit on all
day provided you tweak it for comfort. The best way to tweak a recumbent
seat is to put the highest quality foam you can find on the seat base. That
will cure any and all butt problems!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 5th 10, 07:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
Chalo

Tom Sherman wrote:

kolldata aka AVOGADRO V wrote:

sad-dells can be tilted forward to allow inner or medial thigh
clearance. BUT ! research the subject and find adjustemnst are made
incrementally avoiding muscle and tissue damage from hammering the
mechanisms up and and under pressure repeatedly until tissue and
tendon tear. not good. 'Like' 2mm here 2mm there then pedal to
accomadate. [...]

http://www.tonystrailers.com/vehicle...railachair.jpg