Discs shrieking. why?

Old November 29th 04, 09:56 PM
Ben

Default Discs shrieking. why?

Hi all,
picked up my first bike with discs, an Avanti Montari Disc '04 model.

Washed it off yesterday afternoon with low pressure hose water. This
morning the disc's shriek when applied.

Why is that?

Do I just need to go give them a work out? a bit of hard use?

Ben.
Old November 29th 04, 11:26 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Ben wrote:
Hi all,
picked up my first bike with discs, an Avanti Montari Disc '04 model.

Washed it off yesterday afternoon with low pressure hose water. This
morning the disc's shriek when applied.

They often do.

Why is that?

Brake pads are not totally fixed within the caliper. They float around a
little bit. High-frequency vibrations cause squeal.

Do I just need to go give them a work out? a bit of hard use?

Yup. Ride the **** out of them! A good way to check if they're broken in
is to look at the braking surface part of the rotor. If you can see any
radial surfacing marks left behind, it's not totally broken in. If you can
only see circumferential marks left from your brake pads, you're set.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old November 30th 04, 04:07 AM
Ben

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
Ben wrote:

Hi all,
picked up my first bike with discs, an Avanti Montari Disc '04 model.

Washed it off yesterday afternoon with low pressure hose water. This
morning the disc's shriek when applied.

They often do.

Why is that?

Brake pads are not totally fixed within the caliper. They float around a
little bit. High-frequency vibrations cause squeal.

Do I just need to go give them a work out? a bit of hard use?

Yup. Ride the **** out of them! A good way to check if they're broken in
is to look at the braking surface part of the rotor. If you can see any
radial surfacing marks left behind, it's not totally broken in. If you can
only see circumferential marks left from your brake pads, you're set.

Ta. I've just fractured my elbow, so I'll have to get some one to trash
it for me. ;-)

Ben.
Old November 30th 04, 04:05 PM
slartibartfast

"Ben" ] wrote in message
Ta. I've just fractured my elbow, so I'll have to get some one to trash
it for me. ;-)

Ben.

Wheres the accident report? Fractured elbows suck!! I've done both of 'em.
Hope you don't need to have any hardware installed. Heel fast but more
impotently heel well!!

Jason

Old November 30th 04, 04:53 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

slartibartfast wrote:

Heel fast but more impotently heel well!!

^^^^^^^^^

Paging Dr. Freud.

(Letting the heel part go unbespoken upon, too, even though there's a joke
about a dude with a foot fetish who can't get it up just begging to be
made.)
--
BS (no, really)

Old December 1st 04, 12:01 AM
Ben

slartibartfast wrote:
"Ben" ] wrote in message

Ta. I've just fractured my elbow, so I'll have to get some one to trash
it for me. ;-)

Ben.

Wheres the accident report? Fractured elbows suck!! I've done both of 'em.
Hope you don't need to have any hardware installed. Heel fast but more
impotently heel well!!

Jason

:-) http://www.hamilton.id.au/article/45...venturew-crash

no, nothing exciting. seriously.