Shimano Headset

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 13th 17, 11:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Default Shimano Headset

wrote:
On Saturday, May 13, 2017 at 6:57:35 AM UTC+2, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 12 May 2017 08:23:02 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Thursday, May 11, 2017 at 10:06:04 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
But then, to one who habitually uses a nail and a rock as a chain tool
the use of proper tools is probably a mystery.

Try to differentiate between an outdoors emergency situation and the
workshop in the garage. It's not that difficult.

-
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Which is hy mose of us carry a small tool repair kit that includes a
chain-breaker. That way a broken chain isn't an ememrgency and a repair
only takes a few seconds. After all seconds count when you're beig
stalked by mountain lions or other hungry critters doesn't it? For
someone who either breaks chains a lot or often comes across people
with a broken chain (bother very rare where I ride even on the
technical trails) it ONLY makes sense to have a chain breaker and spare
link(s)and quick-link WITH YOU.

To be honest using a rock and rusty nail to repair a chain in the field
sounds like something an armchair bicyclist would think up. Such a
repaired chain would most likely fail again after only a short
distance. Believe it or not there's good reasons why chain breakers are
used to fix a chain.

Cheers

Out of curiosity I weighed and measured the chain tool that I carry in
my bike tool kit. It is 2-1/2 inches in length and 2-1/8 inches in
height. 1/2 inch thick, at its thickest, and weighs 2.6 ounces. It
works with chains up to and including 10 speed chains (I don't own an
11 speed). Frankly, as a broken chain immobilizes the bicycle I can
see no logic in not carrying it.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Whether I carry a chaintool is the result of the probability a chain
breaks multiplied with the severity of the consequences when it happens.
The outcome for me is off road I carry one, on my roadbikes I don't. This
applies for all tools.

Lou

My multi-tool thing has a chain tool so I carry one all the time. I don't
think I've used one in over 20 years though. Last time I used one it was
handy to have though.

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5020-5...i-Tool#reviews
--
duane