300 miles of secret cycle paths have been discovered

Old May 20th 17, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default 300 miles of secret cycle paths have been discovered

On 20/05/2017 12:27, MrCheerful wrote:
On 20/05/2017 12:15, JNugent wrote:
On 20/05/2017 11:47, Paul Cummins wrote:

(James Wilkinson Sword) wrote:

It's road tax, car tax, whatever, they're just names for the same
thing.

No, Car Tax is the additional tax you pay when you buy a new car.

I am glad to be able to advise you that Car Tax (the successor to
Purchase Tax, and insituted in 1973 because the Treasury could not bear
to lose the greater proceeds of that tax wheb PT was otherwise replaced
by VAT) was abolished in the early 1990s (under John Major).

Motor cars are now subject "only" to VAT on purchase as new vehicles.

Commercial vehicles are subject to VAT when sold new and when sold
secondhand.

Happy to help.

There is also a first year premium to be paid in addition to road tax,
presumably to try and discourage sales, or just gouge the cash cow
motorist even further.

True, but that is a very new provision and in any case, is not Car Tax
(as was).
Old May 20th 17, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Cummins[_7_]

In article ,
(JNugent) wrote:

Road Tax was *not* abolished.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

The BBC is wrong too?

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Old May 20th 17, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 20/05/2017 15:09, Paul Cummins wrote:

(JNugent) wrote:

Road Tax was *not* abolished [it was simply re-named]

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23694438

The BBC is wrong too?

It doesn't matter what the BBC or anyone else says, renaming something
is not the same thing as abolishing it. Road Tax has never been abolished.

[As a pure aside, I hope you aren't claiming that the BBC is somehow
infallible.]
Old May 20th 17, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On Sat, 20 May 2017 00:15:00 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On Fri, 19 May 2017 01:28:17 +0100, JNugent

On Thu, 18 May 2017 11:30:14 +0100, JNugent

On Thu, 18 May 2017 10:55:18 +0100, JNugent
wrote:

On 18/05/2017 10:29, Bod wrote:
On Wed, 17 May 2017 10:17:00 +0100, Paul Cummins
wrote:

In article ,
(James
Wilkinson Sword) wrote:

Cyclists sponge of motorists as they pay no road tax and no fuel
duty.

That's because, as you have been told again and again, there is no
such
thing as Road Tax.

It's called road tax, just like a vacuum cleaner is called a
hoover. I
don't ce if the government allocates it somewhere else like nuclear
weapons, it's still road tax.

If there was such thing as Road Tax, *everything* that uses the
*Road*
would have to pay the *Tax*.

and I say this a a car driver.

Everything does, according to the wear it causes. Cars pay some,
lorries pay a lot.

And many cars pay no car tax at all.

AAMOF, no cars pay road tax.

Have you become a cyclist or contracted OCD? It's road tax, everybody
calls it that. It's a tax vehicles pay to use the road.

No vehicles pay tax of any sort.

Tax is anything given to the government. Council tax, VAT, income tax,
road tax, etc, etc.

No vehicles give, donate or pay any tax.

This is not controversial.

Then what is the £200 a year I pay for my Renault?

You pay?

Or your Renault pays?

Make your mind up.

Why have you stooped to the childish pedantry of the psycholists in here?

If you crashed into a pedestrian, and the victim was telling the policeman that your car ran her over, would you seriously object and say, no I ran her over, my car couldn't do that by itself?

--
I just found out one of my friends has died.
He overdosed on indigestion liquid.

London cycle paths somebody[_2_] Techniques 12 December 2nd 15 12:34 AM
Cycle Paths or Not? Steve C[_2_] UK 49 May 15th 08 09:32 PM
Discovered an amazing meditation secret [email protected] Techniques 1 April 19th 08 06:01 AM
Cycle paths or psyclepaths? Tom Crispin UK 58 April 13th 08 12:22 PM
I've discovered the magic secret Arthur Clune UK 7 August 29th 05 08:55 PM