Cycling into Canary Wharf

Old September 12th 17, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Woodall[_2_]

Default Cycling into Canary Wharf

I've started a new job and I now have a commute that it's worth cycling
(previous commute took about as long by bike as by foot when you include
the time getting the brompton out onto the road and folded up again at
the other end)

But I'm failing miserably at working out how to get into Canary Wharf -
in particular to the Jubilee Park car park.

My plan is to come along the A13, A1261, turn right onto Westferry Road,
up onto Westferry Circus, West India Avenue (and then it's easy) but I'm
struggling at getting onto westferry circus upper level. I keep ending
up on the underground bit.

The map is he
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/51.50664/-0.02625

Today I got to the point where the limehouse link turns off and took the
road up but then something still went wrong and I cannot for the life of
me see where I went wrong.

Coming home I've got sorted, Upper Bank street, Aspen Way, A1261, A13.
But I cannot do that journey in reverse.

Does anyone have any hints or ideas about what I'm doing wrong or what I
should be doing? It's not a huge problem, I can find my way to work.
Ideally I'd just stay on the 1206 and then turn down Bank Street - but
as far as I can see, admittedly on foot from the other end, there's
currently no way through along Bank Street past 1 Bank Street.

Streetview stops just as the link road to Westferry Circus upper level
starts, you can see a bus ahead on it but cannot "drive" down it and you
just end up in the limehouse tunnel.

Tim.

p.s. I'm not interested in "get off and walk this bit" routes, even if
they are shorter. Leaving my desk to getting home took 35 minutes this
evening with a head wind. Going to work took about 40 minutes
(including showering) tail wind and less traffic but a few minutes of
detour. Hopefully I'll be 5-10 minutes faster, especially going to work,
once I've got my cycling legs back, which is competitive with public
transport.

p.p.s. The A13 is really easy to cycle along. Bus lane the entire way
and not many buses - but google does not want to let you cycle along it.
Heading west is slightly less good (road surface worse) but still not
bad.

-------------

Tried to post this to the moderated group but got rejected:

Sep 12 17:33:07 einstein sm-mta[6709]: v8CGX5qh006707:
,
(1000/1000), delay=00:00:02,
xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=esmtp, pri=122933,
relay=moderators.individual.net. [130.133.4.7], dsn=5.1.1, stat=User
unknown

Anyone know what address I should be sending post to?

-------------

Old September 12th 17, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 12 Sep 2017 18:04:55 +0000 (UTC)
Tim Woodall wrote:

Tried to post this to the moderated group but got rejected:

Sep 12 17:33:07 einstein sm-mta[6709]: v8CGX5qh006707:
,
(1000/1000),
delay=00:00:02, xdelay=00:00:02, mailer=esmtp, pri=122933,
relay=moderators.individual.net. [130.133.4.7], dsn=5.1.1, stat=User
unknown

Anyone know what address I should be sending post to?

You should be able to set it up and post to it as a normal un-
moderated group, and eternal-september (or whichever news service
provider you're using at the time) will forward the post for moderation.

Old September 13th 17, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 12/09/2017 19:04, Tim Woodall wrote:
I've started a new job and I now have a commute that it's worth cycling
(previous commute took about as long by bike as by foot when you include
the time getting the brompton out onto the road and folded up again at
the other end)

But I'm failing miserably at working out how to get into Canary Wharf -
in particular to the Jubilee Park car park.

My plan is to come along the A13, A1261, turn right onto Westferry Road,
up onto Westferry Circus, West India Avenue (and then it's easy) but I'm
struggling at getting onto westferry circus upper level. I keep ending
up on the underground bit.

Go up the ramp in the middle of the road (westferry)?
Old September 13th 17, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 13/09/2017 09:11, Nick wrote:
On 12/09/2017 19:04, Tim Woodall wrote:
I've started a new job and I now have a commute that it's worth cycling
(previous commute took about as long by bike as by foot when you include
the time getting the brompton out onto the road and folded up again at
the other end)

But I'm failing miserably at working out how to get into Canary Wharf -
in particular to the Jubilee Park car park.

My plan is to come along the A13, A1261, turn right onto Westferry Road,
up onto Westferry Circus, West India Avenue (and then it's easy) but I'm
struggling at getting onto westferry circus upper level. I keep ending
up on the underground bit.

Go up the ramp in the middle of the road (westferry)?

FWIW I always preferred The Highway or Cable Street to Commercial Road,
but I haven't done it this Millenium so my memory is hazy.
Old September 13th 17, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Woodall[_2_]

On 2017-09-13, Nick wrote:
On 12/09/2017 19:04, Tim Woodall wrote:
I've started a new job and I now have a commute that it's worth cycling
(previous commute took about as long by bike as by foot when you include
the time getting the brompton out onto the road and folded up again at
the other end)

But I'm failing miserably at working out how to get into Canary Wharf -
in particular to the Jubilee Park car park.

My plan is to come along the A13, A1261, turn right onto Westferry Road,
up onto Westferry Circus, West India Avenue (and then it's easy) but I'm
struggling at getting onto westferry circus upper level. I keep ending
up on the underground bit.

Go up the ramp in the middle of the road (westferry)?

That's what I (thought) I did yesterday but something went wrong -
perhaps I took the wrong exit on Westferry Circus once I was up there.

I took the 135 bus home tonight and it should be easy! If I fail again
I'll take the 135 bus to work and then hopefully all will be clear.

I might change my route home though. I think the route the bus takes,
via Westferry Circus has fewer traffic lights. Upper Bank Street I get
caught by three or four sets. Turning right onto Canada Square from
Upper Bank Street and I think there are then only pedestrian lights -
which may or may not be against me.

Tim.

Old September 13th 17, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Woodall[_2_]

On 2017-09-13, Nick wrote:
On 13/09/2017 09:11, Nick wrote:
On 12/09/2017 19:04, Tim Woodall wrote:
I've started a new job and I now have a commute that it's worth cycling
(previous commute took about as long by bike as by foot when you include
the time getting the brompton out onto the road and folded up again at
the other end)

But I'm failing miserably at working out how to get into Canary Wharf -
in particular to the Jubilee Park car park.

My plan is to come along the A13, A1261, turn right onto Westferry Road,
up onto Westferry Circus, West India Avenue (and then it's easy) but I'm
struggling at getting onto westferry circus upper level. I keep ending
up on the underground bit.

Go up the ramp in the middle of the road (westferry)?

FWIW I always preferred The Highway or Cable Street to Commercial Road,
but I haven't done it this Millenium so my memory is hazy.

I'm coming from Commercial Street so Cable Street and The Highway are a
bit further. Once I've got my cycling legs back properly I might give
them a try and see. IIRC the openstreetmap cycling planner suggested
cable street, I think due to no traffic lights. But so far I've got
through most of them on the A13.

Tim.

Old September 14th 17, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 13/09/2017 18:07, Tim Woodall wrote:

I'm coming from Commercial Street so Cable Street and The Highway are a
bit further. Once I've got my cycling legs back properly I might give
them a try and see. IIRC the openstreetmap cycling planner suggested
cable street, I think due to no traffic lights. But so far I've got
through most of them on the A13.

Cable Street isn't really much further. As I remember it, Cable Street
is good for less traffic fumes but not so good for fast riding. It used
to have a stupid wrong way bike lane, which could cause problems with
cars coming out of junctions.

Oh well. I'm sure you'll work it out soon.

Around Commercial Street is a much nicer place to work. Canary Wharf
reminds me of the Asimov Story, Caves of Steel.

Commuting to Canary Wharf - advice sought [email protected][_2_] UK 34 January 27th 09 12:30 PM
Canary Wharf TooSore UK 11 February 25th 06 11:48 PM
Alma Wharf - Yarra River cfsmtb Australia 0 September 21st 04 10:52 AM
Cycling into Canary Wharf Vivian UK 2 May 9th 04 08:49 PM
Cycle Commute from Kilburn to Canary Wharf Steve Nelson UK 15 January 23rd 04 01:40 AM