Hitting your head

Old January 17th 20, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Hitting your head

On 1/17/2020 4:29 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 7:38:45 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/16/2020 11:17 AM, Duane wrote:

snip

Do you have hipsters in PDX?Â* They're all over the mountain here.Â* Doing
wheelies down the mountain on fixies while texting their buddies and
grooving to their ear buds.Â* I started handing out cards telling them
the cheap wine is free in Ohio.

Not going to work. Trader Joe's lowered the price of "Two Buck Chuck"
back to $2.

Free is better than $2, and Ohio has other inducements. They're basically giving houses away. Go to Redfin and look at Youngstown. https://www.redfin.com/OH/Youngstown.../home/71983689 Ay chihuahua! A hipster could buy a house there and fill it with wine.

We once had a young couple in our bike club, tandem riders, smart and
pleasant people. He was an architect employed by a large local corporation.

They bought one of the mansions on what was once nicknamed Millionaire's
Row, probably built by a steel company executive back in the area's most
prosperous days. The architect believed there was no other place in the
country where a person could buy such an amazing house for such a low
price.

And we have other friends - the guy's a former cyclist, used to tour the
Alps - who recently moved out of our village into another big old house
inside the city. They're optimistic about the city's future, and are
betting on gentrification. We also have very good cycling friends (the
most dedicated touring and utility cyclists I know) who live very nearby
their place, and have for at least 45 years. But of course, there's risk
in buying any inner-city house. Houses and neighborhoods very nearby are
in bad shape and declining.

I've led club rides right past the house in Jay's link, specifically to
gaze at some of the architecture in that neighborhood. Some of the
houses there are sort of second tier mansions, not quite as luxurious as
some other areas of town; but many are still quite impressive. (There's
also a mix of more normal homes.)

There is a non-profit organization in town that works very hard to
preserve inner city neighborhoods like that. They do good work, buying
and rehabilitating houses worth saving.

Tom should move here!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 17th 20, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 7:38:45 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/16/2020 11:17 AM, Duane wrote:

snip

Do you have hipsters in PDX?Â* They're all over the mountain here.Â* Doing
wheelies down the mountain on fixies while texting their buddies and
grooving to their ear buds.Â* I started handing out cards telling them
the cheap wine is free in Ohio.

Not going to work. Trader Joe's lowered the price of "Two Buck Chuck"
back to $2.

Free is better than $2, and Ohio has other inducements. They're basically
giving houses away. Go to Redfin and look at Youngstown.
https://www.redfin.com/OH/Youngstown.../home/71983689
Ay chihuahua! A hipster could buy a house there and fill it with wine.

-- Jay Beattie.

As long as it gets them out of my path I’m all for it! Virginia is for
lovers but Ohio is for Hipsters!

Old January 18th 20, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 10:54:14 -0800, Andre Jute wrote:

Here's a photograph of the helmet which saved me from stitches,
concussion, blood poisoning, or worse, in the incident reported below.
http://www.coolmainpress.com/miscimage/

andre_jute_hlmet_after_crash_883pxh.jpg
The dent is visible as is the cow dung the helmet picked up from the
farm road.

So it was a well lubricated crash.
Old January 18th 20, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 16:58:43 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And we have other friends - the guy's a former cyclist, used to tour the
Alps - who recently moved out of our village into another big old house
inside the city. They're optimistic about the city's future, and are
betting on gentrification.

Most people forget that when you buy a "house', they are actualy buying
house and land. In urban areas, the land can be worth more than the
building siting upon it. The real fools are the ones who then spend money
"improving" that house over the combined value. As very few tend to stay
for a long term, they'll probably never recover their money.
Old January 18th 20, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/17/2020 1:29 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, January 17, 2020 at 7:38:45 AM UTC-8, sms wrote:
On 1/16/2020 11:17 AM, Duane wrote:

snip

Do you have hipsters in PDX?Â* They're all over the mountain here.Â* Doing
wheelies down the mountain on fixies while texting their buddies and
grooving to their ear buds.Â* I started handing out cards telling them
the cheap wine is free in Ohio.

Not going to work. Trader Joe's lowered the price of "Two Buck Chuck"
back to $2.

Free is better than $2, and Ohio has other inducements. They're basically giving houses away. Go to Redfin and look at Youngstown. https://www.redfin.com/OH/Youngstown.../home/71983689 Ay chihuahua! A hipster could buy a house there and fill it with wine.

-- Jay Beattie.

Wow, look at those prices! I agree with my congressperson that we should
encourage tech companies to expand in areas like that. Tech workers want
to buy single family homes with yards to raise their families and that
is extremely difficult in the Bay Area. The free wine would be a nice
extra if it is good wine.
Old January 18th 20, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/17/2020 3:20 PM, news18 wrote:
On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 16:58:43 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

And we have other friends - the guy's a former cyclist, used to tour the
Alps - who recently moved out of our village into another big old house
inside the city. They're optimistic about the city's future, and are
betting on gentrification.

Most people forget that when you buy a "house', they are actualy buying
house and land. In urban areas, the land can be worth more than the
building siting upon it. The real fools are the ones who then spend money
"improving" that house over the combined value. As very few tend to stay
for a long term, they'll probably never recover their money.

If their goal is to recover the money on improvements when they sell
then indeed they are fools. But if they make improvements because they
want to enjoy living in a house with those improvements, then they are
not fools.

In California, most people do stay for the long term because of way the
property tax system works. It's actually a big problem because of the
extremely low turnover of the limited supply of single family homes.

There was an attempt in 2018 to address this issue and it failed big
time. Anti-affordable housing forces and real estate developers were
able to defeat this bill. A big part of the problem was that it was the
California Association of Realtors that put it on the ballot because it
would cause a huge increase in the sale of existing homes and hence
increases in income for real estate brokers and agents.
Old January 18th 20, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 16:23:54 -0800, sms wrote:

[...]

How many of your original neighbours are still there?
When a house in your street sells for 70+ times what you paid for it, the
incentive is hight to sell up. Tempered only by the need to buy somewhere
else.

There are some "improvements" that just are not. When we purchased
current place, we had to change real estate agents a number of times as
they just would not take the instruction that we did NOT want a swimming
pool, jackuzi, sauna, etc, etc.

In California, most people do stay for the long term because of way the
property tax system works. It's actually a big problem because of the
extremely low turnover of the limited supply of single family homes.

Similar problem here, in that they "improve" their starter home with
extensions out and up, so the foot in the housing door is a multi storey,
multi bathroom McMansion on a pocket hankchief of land.
Old January 18th 20, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/17/2020 7:14 PM, news18 wrote:

snip

How many of your original neighbours are still there?

A lot. And often adult children take over their parents' house.

When a house in your street sells for 70+ times what you paid for it, the
incentive is hight to sell up. Tempered only by the need to buy somewhere
else.

That is a huge amount of tempering. Unless you are willing to leave the
area, there is no upside in selling because anything you buy will be
just as costly. So most people stay. We have neighbors on our street who
could sell their houses for 100x what they paid when the house was new.
But they will stay in their house until the end, unless health concerns
make that impossible. The fact that they'd be better off moving to a
less expensive city, and having more money for their retirement, is
immaterial to many of them. Often the houses deteriorate because they
can't afford maintenance and non-profit organizations will come in to do
basic maintenance.

For seniors, it makes much more financial sense to rent out their home
and move somewhere else than to sell.

There are some "improvements" that just are not. When we purchased
current place, we had to change real estate agents a number of times as
they just would not take the instruction that we did NOT want a swimming
pool, jackuzi, sauna, etc, etc.

We really didn't want a pool. But a lot of houses in our city had had
pools added at some point. Many people just removed them. Even though
pool removal is costly, around $10,000 to $15,000, that is not a
significant amount on a house in this area. We kept our pool. I wanted
to take it out. My wife likes it. I maintain it. It is costly to
maintain mainly because of the electricity cost for the pump, but with
our solar panels our electricity usage from the grid is minimal (well
other than the $18K to install all those solar panels). It doesn't
require much water to offset evaporation, but doing an empty/refill
every 5 to 6 years is very costly.
Old January 19th 20, 05:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sat, 18 Jan 2020 09:50:19 -0800, sms wrote:

[...]

These days I'd just say "aquaponics" and look at one of those floating
vegetables above a big fish pond type of thing.

We've moved past the compulsory fencing stage here, so we wouldn't have
that cost.

Old January 19th 20, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/18/2020 11:26 PM, news18 wrote:
[...]

"moved past the compulsory fencing stage"? Does that mean you no longer
need fences around pools?

If so, that amazes me. Safety Inflation is so dominant in westernized
societies, it seems very rare for any "safety" regulation to be removed.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Hitting Goals Tom Kunich[_5_] Techniques 8 November 26th 19 10:49 AM
I need help hitting record again. hungry4uni Unicycling 11 July 25th 08 03:57 AM
hitting bricks TerryJ UK 3 December 20th 07 09:29 PM
UK - Muni head to head race - feeler kington99 Unicycling 37 March 20th 07 02:58 PM
Shit hitting the fan. crit PRO Racing 58 April 6th 05 08:02 AM