Experience is everything

Old July 2nd 05, 07:53 PM
Brian G

Default Experience is everything

I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
at all :-(
--
Brian G
Old July 2nd 05, 07:56 PM
wafflycat

"Brian G" wrote in message
I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a new
rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong way
round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage at all
:-(

I have a personal bike mechanic with a young apprentice :-)

Cheers, helen s

Old July 2nd 05, 08:02 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Brian G wrote:
I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
at all :-(

What, you put the tread on the inside and the canvas on the outside?

Directional bike tyres are a load of marketing tripe, unless we're
talking MTB knobblies here.
Old July 2nd 05, 08:03 PM
Chris

Brian G wrote:
I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
at all :-(
--
Brian G

LOL - that's weird - I did the very same thing this afternoon. Given
that the tyre in question has minimal tread of (probably) 1mm depth,
I was left with the feeling "does it really matter?", so I left it. When
I spin off at the next wet-weather bend, I'll know the truth I guess...

--
Chris
Old July 2nd 05, 08:17 PM
vernon

What, you put the tread on the inside and the canvas on the outside?

Nah, I reckon he put it on upside down.

Directional bike tyres are a load of marketing tripe, unless we're
talking MTB knobblies here.

I used to worry about the direction of the tyres rotation until I
discovered
that I'd inadvertantly ridden one 'back to front' for six months without
any discernable affects.

I never used to worry about the orientation of the tyres when I was a
teenager
and wondered what was spcial about the construction of the tyres to warrant
an orientation arrow. I doubt that it's to make sure that the tread
disperses more
water in wet conditions.

Vernon

Old July 2nd 05, 08:21 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Pete Biggs wrote:

Riding a bicycle with a tyre label on the left is an arrestable offence,
you know.

I have a rear wheel laced with the Mavic label facing left. I am
rebuilding it this week - oh, the shame.

Old July 2nd 05, 08:31 PM
elyob

"Chris" wrote in message
Brian G wrote:
I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
at all :-(
--
Brian G

LOL - that's weird - I did the very same thing this afternoon. Given that
the tyre in question has minimal tread of (probably) 1mm depth, I was
left with the feeling "does it really matter?", so I left it. When I spin
off at the next wet-weather bend, I'll know the truth I guess...

You should have bought a new tyre with some real grip on it?

Old July 2nd 05, 08:36 PM
Peewiglet

On Sat, 02 Jul 2005 19:53:02 +0100, Brian G
wrote:

I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
at all :-(

Uh-oh.... and there was me hoping to learn how to mend a puncture...!

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~
Old July 2nd 05, 08:38 PM
Tony W

"Brian G" wrote in message
I got my first bike 53 years ago. This evening I went out and fitted a
new rear tyre to one of my bikes, quickly, efficiently - and the wrong
way round. I don't know how some of you inexperienced youngsters manage
at all :-(

You did it quickly and efficiently -- that's the difference!!

;~)