questions on TREK 6500

Old July 9th 03, 03:55 AM
Rob Paton

Default questions on TREK 6500

Minh Phan wrote in message ...
Hi:
For years my riding is on road, and
I want to do off-road riding occassionally.
I don't want to spend much on a brand new
bike which I use only now and then or in bad weather.

1) A colleage offers a TREK 6500 (year 2000) for CAD$600.
The bike was used only 1 week, has Shimano STX
and Rock Shox Judy C (?) fork. I only know the XTR/XT/LS
line. How does the STX fit in? Is this a good buy?

2) What is the difference between WSD and normal design in
mtb?
Does it have the same difference as in road bikes? i.e.
longer seat tube/shorter top tube.
I could not find this model at TREK web site, and WSD has
even sizes (14", 16", etc.) while normal sizes are odd (13.5",
15", 17", etc.). It happens that his bike is of even size!

Could someone please help me with these answers?
Thank you very much.
Minh

From what I know, the order is as follows: XTR, XT, LX, STX-RC, STX,

Alivio and Acera. The last two may be reversed. I know Shimano also
now has a part line they simply call Deore. I am unsure if this has
taken over for one of the low end parts or is an addition.

In either case, the STX is about the lowest level I would consider for
any sort of technical off-road riding. I had an STX derailleur on a
GT I owned maybe eight years ago and it was okay. It did ultimately
snap, but I've also snapped my fair share of XT an XTR derailleurs.

I unfortunately have no knowledge of the second question you pose.

Good luck.

- Rob