But why???

Old October 2nd 11, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone

Default But why???

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...629012896.html

Why would somebody buy a bike optimized for long haul loaded touring and
then turn it into a fixie. That sounds about as sensible as fitting a
full set of racks and fenders onto a downhill MTB. Bike tourers
everywhere are crying.
Old October 2nd 11, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Ralph Barone wrote:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...629012896.html

Why would somebody buy a bike optimized for long haul loaded touring and
then turn it into a fixie. That sounds about as sensible as fitting a
full set of racks and fenders onto a downhill MTB. Bike tourers
everywhere are crying.

I see your point but it's not a Masi Masi, just an asian TIG
welded frame with neoretro graphics.

meh.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old October 2nd 11, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone

In article , AMuzi
wrote:

Ralph Barone wrote:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...629012896.html

Why would somebody buy a bike optimized for long haul loaded touring and
then turn it into a fixie. That sounds about as sensible as fitting a
full set of racks and fenders onto a downhill MTB. Bike tourers
everywhere are crying.

I see your point but it's not a Masi Masi, just an asian TIG
welded frame with neoretro graphics.

meh.

OK, but I still reserve the right to be offended on principle.
Old October 3rd 11, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Oct 2, 3:17*pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...629012896.html

Why would somebody buy a bike optimized for long haul loaded touring and
then turn it into a fixie. *That sounds about as sensible as fitting a
full set of racks and fenders onto a downhill MTB. *Bike tourers
everywhere are crying.

STRAIGHT LINE SPEED, STABILITY.

one of the excellent frames out of Africa.
Old October 3rd 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On Oct 3, 1:01*am, Phil W Lee wrote:
Ralph Barone considered Sun, 02 Oct 2011
15:47:42 -0700 the perfect time to write:

In article , AMuzi
wrote:

Ralph Barone wrote:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...629012896.html

Why would somebody buy a bike optimized for long haul loaded touring and
then turn it into a fixie. *That sounds about as sensible as fitting a
full set of racks and fenders onto a downhill MTB. *Bike tourers
everywhere are crying.

I see your point but it's not a Masi Masi, just an asian TIG
welded frame with neoretro graphics.

meh.

OK, but I still reserve the right to be offended on principle.

Yeah, whatever next - stunt pegs?
Maybe he also has drop handlebars on his bmx, and 20 radial spokes in
the front wheel of his downhill mtb
It's like putting go-faster stripes on a landrover, or bullbars on a
bugatti.

But Land \\\\\\\\\\rover did it.

http://silberbauer.dk/wp-content/landrover.jpg
Old October 3rd 11, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Oct 2, 3:17*pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...629012896.html

Why would somebody buy a bike optimized for long haul loaded touring and
then turn it into a fixie. *That sounds about as sensible as fitting a
full set of racks and fenders onto a downhill MTB. *Bike tourers
everywhere are crying.

My dirt ride is a steel Redline Monocog copy of the aluminum
cyclocross champ equipped with 8 speed deore via a Universal Cycles
suplied adapter plate then rigged for CDT and double track.
Suggested by Chalo who rides similar. I herd there are 3 or 4 now.

frame cost $175, Deloris sold me two triple CR's for $11 each.
Old October 3rd 11, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

wrote:

Ralph Barone wrote:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...629012896.html

Why would somebody buy a bike optimized for long haul loaded touring and
then turn it into a fixie. *That sounds about as sensible as fitting a
full set of racks and fenders onto a downhill MTB. *Bike tourers
everywhere are crying.

I see your point but it's not a Masi Masi, just an asian TIG
welded frame with neoretro graphics.

meh.

OK, but I still reserve the right to be offended on principle.

Yeah, whatever next - stunt pegs?
Maybe he also has drop handlebars on his bmx, and 20 radial spokes in
the front wheel of his downhill mtb
It's like putting go-faster stripes on a landrover, or bullbars on a
bugatti.

But Land \\\\\\\\\\rover did it.

http://silberbauer.dk/wp-content/landrover.jpg- Hide quoted text -

no photo of a satellite space coast Lincoln Continental !!! its in
Palm Beach

HEY LETS HAVE A COUPLA PHOTOS !!!
Old October 3rd 11, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 2, 5:17*pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...629012896.html

Why would somebody buy a bike optimized for long haul loaded touring and
then turn it into a fixie. *That sounds about as sensible as fitting a
full set of racks and fenders onto a downhill MTB. *Bike tourers
everywhere are crying.

It's pretty much the same frame as my cheapncheerful Redline or Kona's
similar Paddy Wagon. Neither are touring bikes with relatively short
chainstays, but they're definitely quite sturdy stuff. The Masi has
semi-horizontal dropouts, and the advert said "single speed". I don't
doubt the owner used a single speed conversion kit on the original
wheeset, an inexpensive way to play around with single speeding.
Nothing to be offended about.

Offensive would be converting a Koga-Miyata loaded tourer to actual
fixed gear with an aerospoke front wheel, bullhorns, and oooooga horn.
Old October 3rd 11, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Oct 2, 7:59*pm, landotter wrote:
[...]

N-ville knows offensive !
Old October 3rd 11, 10:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 2, 5:17*pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...629012896.html

Why would somebody buy a bike optimized for long haul loaded touring and
then turn it into a fixie. *That sounds about as sensible as fitting a
full set of racks and fenders onto a downhill MTB. *Bike tourers
everywhere are crying.

I used to use "touring bikes" for fixed gear back in the day, living
in the GFN. The advantages we horizontal DO's for simple, cheap FG
setup, and long stays with bosses for tire/fender clearance and easy
mounting, plus being able to mount a rack to bungee on clothing, bring
a six-pack home for aprés-ride, whatever.

Clearance for big tires made it easier to deal with snow/ice/crap
buildup, and I did fit bomber tires for at least one extended snowfall
period. Maybe a touring-pattern frame made for a little bit easier
ride compared to a converted track or road-pattern bike when it came
to doing 30 miles and up on a fixed, where it's hard to stretch, relax
and so forth. Some people think so, anyhow.

My old Holdsworth Super Mistral, which I still have, worked great for
fixed in those road and weather conditions, and also for camping-style
touring in the Rockies. I don't see any malfeasance there, at all.
Trying to make a slack-angle, low-BB load carrier into a crit bike?
Now there might be a plain case for "misuse" g.
--D-y