Are Bio-pace or similat chainrings advantageous for touring?

Old December 5th 11, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

Default Are Bio-pace or similar chainrings advantageous for touring?

On Dec 5, 1:01*pm, Chalo wrote:
DirtRoadie wrote:

I don't know the model designations nor dates of origin but my old
parts repository contained a 28T steel BP ring and the aforementioned
aluminum 26T. I don't believe the 26T is an "HP" version.

The major axis is nearly identical between the two, while it is the
26T which has a minor axis that matches a 24T (~81mm) as you describe.
The 28T is noticeably more round/oval (100/92mm) while the 26T at
98/82mm is also almost angular in appearance, somewhat like a
parallelogram *with rounded corners.

The overall roundness of the 28T ring counters my prior generalization
that smaller BP rings are less round.

There are obviously several flavors of BioPace.

I guess that's true, but up until now I had only distinguished the
original Biopace from Biopace HP, which was closer to round. *The
original triples were 48-38-28 only, because the 28t and 38t rings
could not be made smaller at that shape and still fit on a 110/74mm
spider.

I believe that the 26T ring I have was standard issue with a Deore XT
crank circa 1988.

The HP rings being rounder reminds me .....
Heck, no point in my re-writing it:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...a35d362e155a3f

DR
Old December 6th 11, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone

In article
,
thirty-six wrote:

On Dec 5, 4:42*pm, DirtRoadie wrote:
There are obviously several flavors of BioPace.
DR

Biopace, Biopace II, Return of Biopace, Biopace Strikes Sack, Revenge
of Biopace. Biopace in the 21st Century and Biopace, the Egyptian
Connection. :-)

Biopace Strikes Sack? Is that a typo or is that the worst case
recumbent accident that Chalo was talking about a while back?
Old December 8th 11, 02:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

Default Are Bio-pace or similat chainrings advantageous for touring?

On Dec 3, 1:23*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
As an aside to something on another thread I mentioned Bio-Pace
chainrings. Are these or similar shaped chainrings of any advantage to
a casual or touring cyclist on a road bike?

Thanks and cheers

have a friend w/ two bikes. one is from the 80s, still w/ biopace.
another newer one with regular chainrings. he rides both and says that
pretty much doesn't make any difference to him. to me, he rides the
same.
Old December 8th 11, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sergio Moretti

On Dec 3, 2:23*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
As an aside to something on another thread I mentioned Bio-Pace
chainrings. Are these or similar shaped chainrings of any advantage to
a casual or touring cyclist on a road bike?

Thanks and cheers

No, but the ones that are close to round aren't a significant
disadvantage either.
- Sergio
Old December 10th 11, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Market Rules:

if an idea works in reality
it sells
it's produced
it's on the floor.

that's not true off course, see chain guards, grit guards, spoke
guards but these are preventive wear devices not WE ARE FASTER THAN
YOU ARE devices

Old November 28th 12, 12:26 PM
seabiscuit seabiscuit is offline
Junior Member

Location: Waterloo, Belgium
Smile

Sakae Ovaltech, Shimano BioPace : An unfair (and most enjoyable) advantage

I bought both in the '80s. Ovaltech 52 42 32, and Biopace probably 48 38 28. The latter is rather used up, and no longer used. The former being almost as new, I put it on a new touring bike I built recently. So I'm not talking from hearsay, unlike most of what I've read in forums.

Both my chainwheels are not oval, but sort of rounded losange. And, contrary to the first ovoids, they are both "lower" in the "pushing" phases, and "higher" in the "transit" phases. This enables you to pull a higher gear than you would have thought, and makes you go faster through the passive, transit phase. That makes for a slightly different feel, and for more efficiency.

You don't notice much difference when pedalling on your own. But now that I pedal much more with friends, I can compare with them and their classic round chainwheels, and with myself among them, on an ovoid or a round chainwheel.

The Sakae being on my touring bike, I can tell you that, always among the same cycling friends:

- over 2 5 day trips to mountainous areas in Spain and in Greece, and despite this touring bike being 15 kgs naked, plus 4 kgs tools for the group, and more clothes than anyone else, I was comfortably in front, even though I'm the oldest by up to 30 years (57)

- during a similar trip, but unladen, when I had taken my 9 kg carbon racer with classic 105 among similar racers, I was never in front

- I have now taken my 15 kg tourer + 4 kg tools on 50-80 Km Sunday tours among my friends on their 8-9 kg racers, and I am comfortably in front...

- when I go in front on the tourer, I find it difficult to keep a good pace for those I'm sheltering behind, I don't feel effort like them, and invariably go too fast.

- despite the 6kg weight penalty between their racers and my tourer, it is uphill I feel most favoured.

Now, does anyone know where these beauties could be remanufactured or obtained ? I'd like to buy me a new one for a 29 MTB, and a few spares.
Old December 4th 12, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, December 3, 2011 2:23:13 PM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
As an aside to something on another thread I mentioned Bio-Pace

chainrings. Are these or similar shaped chainrings of any advantage to

a casual or touring cyclist on a road bike?

Thanks and cheers

you just have to try one for a few weeks to see if you like it, I have had one for several years and love it and i have transferred it from the diamondback it came on through several bikes i have owned and its now on a giant and has always been on my daily rider. I love it but some people just plain don't like them, its a personal choice. try one if you can find it, you may just never go round again.
Old December 4th 12, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 1:26:17 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, December 3, 2011 2:23:13 PM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

As an aside to something on another thread I mentioned Bio-Pace

chainrings. Are these or similar shaped chainrings of any advantage to

a casual or touring cyclist on a road bike?

Thanks and cheers

you just have to try one for a few weeks to see if you like it, I have had one for several years and love it and i have transferred it from the diamondback it came on through several bikes i have owned and its now on a giant and has always been on my daily rider. I love it but some people just plain don't like them, its a personal choice. try one if you can find it, you may just never go round again.

You're just a tad late with that reply. ONE year and ONE day since I posted to question. ;)

FWIW, we put the Biopace rings on my buddy's bike and he loves them claiming it really saves his knees especially on the longer steeper hills here in town.

Cheers

Memorize for pace-lines [email protected] Techniques 0 February 13th 09 10:23 PM
Pace setting David Ferguson Racing 0 July 11th 05 01:13 AM
More Noob: Cat 5 25 Miler Pace? Keith Alexander® Racing 4 September 14th 04 08:29 PM
Bio Pace? Bill Baka General 19 August 13th 04 03:10 AM
RR - a change of pace John Atkinson Mountain Biking 5 December 4th 03 05:53 PM