Drill holes in bike frame?

Old September 28th 04, 01:17 AM

Peter Cole writes:

I don't recall that quip but vent holes in my bicycle frame are
brazed shut. You can solicit testimonials from people who have
ridden many miles over many years with no internal rust problems on
their ancient frames. This sort of fear sells useless ointments
and gives bike owners (not to be confused with riders) something to
do and fret over.

On the other hand, I have seen a few frames that have rusted through
to failure. These were all at the chainstay, a more vulnerable
location than the bottom bracket. One of these frames was stored in
a warm, seaside area, the others were ridden in New England winters.
Salts used to treat roads here can be very corrosive, much worse
than simple riding in the rain.

I assume you mean the chainstays rusted from the inside. How did the
water get in there and if that was obvious, why was it allowed to get
in there? You imply that the external atmosphere caused internal rust.
That sounds like the sales pitch of a frame elixir. In contrast,
bicycles ridden in snowy areas with salt on the roads don't fail
regularly but their rims don't hold a shine.

Most riders don't ride in these briny conditions, and many of those
who do use "beater" bikes, but it can be a problem. If you ride a
good bike in these conditions, it's probably worth the $10 to buy a
can of the stuff that's made to solve the problem.

Why are "beater bikes" less susceptible to internal rust than more
expensive ones? Thanks for the $10 pitch. I'll have to consider that
with the many miles I have ridden with the same bicycle. Just think
how many products you could buy and add to your bicycle under the
motto better safe than sorry. There's a large market for that today.

Jobst Brandt

Old September 28th 04, 01:36 PM
Peter Cole

wrote in message
Peter Cole writes:

[...]

I have no idea, perhaps vent holes, perhaps at the seattube, I don't know.
I've tried to seal my bikes up as well as I can, but still find water in
the frame sometimes.

You imply that the external atmosphere caused internal rust.
That sounds like the sales pitch of a frame elixir.

This was one frame I saw at the frame builder's, it was his explanation.
Having relatives who have lived in homes that were on the beach, I recall
that corrosion was a problem. The fact that chainstays rusted through from
the inside, and since chainstays slope downward to the BB, it would seem
that it wasn't standing water that caused the problem, but for all I know,
the owner rode it in the surf (which I doubt, since it was a high-end
Italian frame).

In contrast,
bicycles ridden in snowy areas with salt on the roads don't fail
regularly but their rims don't hold a shine.

My rims don't look too bad except for a bit of corrosion around the
eyelets.

Most riders don't ride in these briny conditions, and many of those
who do use "beater" bikes, but it can be a problem. If you ride a
good bike in these conditions, it's probably worth the $10 to buy a
can of the stuff that's made to solve the problem.

Why are "beater bikes" less susceptible to internal rust than more
expensive ones?

They're not, people just consider them more expendable.

Thanks for the $10 pitch. I'll have to consider that
with the many miles I have ridden with the same bicycle. Just think
how many products you could buy and add to your bicycle under the
motto better safe than sorry. There's a large market for that today.

I'm not selling anything. I did treat one of my frames that way as it
occurred to me that the investment was trivial, the frame was valuable, and
the conditions I ride in were pretty corrosive. BTW, the only other "safe
than sorry" products I know of in that price range are LED blinkers,
reflective decals and KoolStop pads, all of which I think are pretty good.
I don't see the bike market as crowded with "safe than sorry" products,
unless that's code for helmets -- and I'm not going there....

Is it better to upgrade the components on my 10 yr old frame, orbuy a new bike? Paul Mountain Biking 9 May 30th 04 11:50 PM
Street Bike Devlin UK 44 March 17th 04 11:28 AM
Who is going to Interbike? Bruce Gilbert Techniques 2 October 10th 03 09:26 PM