Autumn

Old September 28th 04, 08:35 PM
sam greene

Dang it, Claire, I already want to move to New Mexico and it's only
September! :-D

-km

well, it still gets dark early here. I'm thinking Australia.

sam in las cruces
Old September 28th 04, 08:41 PM
DRS

"sam greene" wrote in message
om
Dang it, Claire, I already want to move to New Mexico and it's only
September! :-D

-km

well, it still gets dark early here. I'm thinking Australia.

We'll switch to daylight saving in about a month. Nice, balmy evening rides
then.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 29th 04, 01:47 AM
Claire Petersky

"sam greene" wrote in message
om...
Dang it, Claire, I already want to move to New Mexico and it's only
September! :-D

well, it still gets dark early here.

Not as early as it does here in Washington State.

Right now, we're still at sunrise and sunset happening around 6:00, so it
isn't so bad. It's the December days of sunrise around 8:00, sunset around
4:00 and rain during the day that start to get depressing. Even if it's
supposed to be daylight, the heavy clouds don't make you feel like you
actually had any. Northern Europe has it much worse than us, though, so I
suppose I shouldn't complain.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old September 29th 04, 02:28 AM
Mark Hickey

"DRS" wrote:

"sam greene" wrote

well, it still gets dark early here. I'm thinking Australia.

We'll switch to daylight saving in about a month. Nice, balmy evening rides
then.

You blokes switch the same day they do in the US. Thing is, you go
the OTHER way, so the relative time difference between the two changes
TWO hours. Add to that the fact that when I lived in Oz, I worked out
of an Arizona office, where no daylight savings time is needed (too
much sun already) - so I had to remember to do a different time
conversion for calls there. Einstein was right - time IS relative.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old September 29th 04, 04:39 AM
Flaps

Not as early as it does here in Washington State.

Right now, we're still at sunrise and sunset happening around 6:00, so it

Move to Reykjavik (Iceland) where they get near to 24 hours daylight in the
height of their summer.

BTW, I remember reading somewhere that they also have one of the highest
suicide rates on the planet.

Old September 29th 04, 10:54 AM
Sigvaldi Eggertsson

"Flaps" wrote in message . au...
Not as early as it does here in Washington State.

Right now, we're still at sunrise and sunset happening around 6:00, so it

Move to Reykjavik (Iceland) where they get near to 24 hours daylight in the
height of their summer.

BTW, I remember reading somewhere that they also have one of the highest
suicide rates on the planet.

It is untrue. The highest rates for Europe is in Latvia, Iceland is
somewhere in the middle.
Old September 29th 04, 12:44 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 00:47:19 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

Not as early as it does here in Washington State.

Right now, we're still at sunrise and sunset happening around 6:00, so it
isn't so bad. It's the December days of sunrise around 8:00, sunset around
4:00 and rain during the day that start to get depressing. Even if it's
supposed to be daylight, the heavy clouds don't make you feel like you
actually had any. Northern Europe has it much worse than us, though, so I
suppose I shouldn't complain.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky

Thus the reason I get out the rose-colored biking sunglasses!
(Actually slightly orange-yellow). It fools me into thinking it's a
sunny day, lol.

-B
(Of course this doesn't address the need to have bright light on the
face and body, etc.)
Old September 29th 04, 02:35 PM
Pat Lamb

Claire Petersky wrote:
"sam greene" wrote in message
om...

well, it still gets dark early here.

Not as early as it does here in Washington State.

Right now, we're still at sunrise and sunset happening around 6:00, so it
isn't so bad. It's the December days of sunrise around 8:00, sunset around
4:00 and rain during the day that start to get depressing. Even if it's
supposed to be daylight, the heavy clouds don't make you feel like you
actually had any. Northern Europe has it much worse than us, though, so I
suppose I shouldn't complain.

I'm enjoying things right now; the sun is coming up about the time I
leave the house, and if I leave work at a decent time, I can get home
before sunset. I don't mind the winter too much, although I'm not as
regular a bike commuter in the winter. There's something almost magic
about riding in the quiet and the dark, watching my headlight beams
rolling down the road. What gets me is the time inbetween. For some
reason, riding at dawn and especially at dusk, I never feel as visible
to cars as I do either when it's fully light or fully dark. I don't
feel like I get as much space; I worry the car at the next intersection
won't see me against the glare; riding isn't as much fun. Those are the
weeks I hope it's not raining on the weekend.

Pat
Old September 29th 04, 06:29 PM
Badger_South

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 08:35:13 -0500, Pat Lamb
wrote:

Claire Petersky wrote:
"sam greene" wrote in message
om...

[...]

I can really get into the chilly morning rides - down to the high
teens, I guess can be fun - provided the wind isn't too brisk.

Give me a nice sunny morning at 20 deg F, and a light tail wind, and
I'm thinking Mmm, mmm, life is good.

-B