Bike Review - Scott 24hr

Old October 10th 06, 01:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

Default Bike Review - Scott 24hr

"The Scott" was my first race with the Specialized S-Works Epic that I built
up for endurance races........here are my thoughts:

SRAM X9 ****s all over Shimano XT. I have run XT on my mtbs in the past and
it was OK but I rode 140km with the X9 and it never missed a shift!!!!! (I
am also running Alligator cables which I rate highly as well).

Reba Team Forks wound out to 120mm travel were excellent.....soaked up all
of the bumps and tracked really well through the corners as they got chopped
up by the traffic. I didn't even end up using the lock out function as I
was pretty well staying in the saddle for most climbs anyway.

Lock on Grips with Mr Dirt Lock on Bar Ends were great. I made a point of
using the bar ends on each bit of uphill fire trail just to give the
forearms a rest and this seemed to work a treat.

Rear suspension on the Epic was fantastic. Feels like a hardtail on the
firetrail but softens the bumps in the singletrack.....this was especially
noticeable on the downhill sections of singletrack that really started to
get rough by the end of the race.

I was keen to have a crack on one of the Stumpjumper FSRs that they were
loaning out for demo rides but they only had them in Medium size (I need
XL).......was the same last year with the Cannondale Rush demo bikes!!!!
When are they going to cater for normal sized guys???

Gags

Old October 10th 06, 09:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
flyingdutch

Gags Wrote:

When are they going to cater for normal sized guys???

Gags

aah, yup!

--
flyingdutch

Old October 11th 06, 12:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Gags wrote:
"The Scott" was my first race with the Specialized S-Works Epic that I built
up for endurance races........here are my thoughts:

snip

Your bike is beautiful, dude. I was going to steal it but it's too big.
Although Steven would love it.

I was keen to have a crack on one of the Stumpjumper FSRs that they were
loaning out for demo rides but they only had them in Medium size (I need
XL).......was the same last year with the Cannondale Rush demo bikes!!!!
When are they going to cater for normal sized guys???

I'll waive my rights to make a smartarse comment there.

Speaking of tall people, I met up with some friends on the plane back
to Brissie. One is recently divorced. I asked, "Look, I know this is
really rude and tactless and inappropriate but, I just have to ask -
what happened to your tandem?" Apparently she's having trouble selling
it because her ex-husband was really tall...

.... Steven is really tall...

.... I'd like a tandem...

Tam

Old October 11th 06, 09:50 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Dave Hughes

On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:18:00 +1000, Gags wrote:

"The Scott" was my first race with the Specialized S-Works Epic that I built
up for endurance races........here are my thoughts:

So what was your excuse for making Tam wait around transition for 15
minutes or so while dodgy commentary guys chatted to her?

--
Dave Hughes |
"Did you know God had a plan for you?"
Old October 11th 06, 02:25 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Gags

"Dave Hughes" wrote in message
u...
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:18:00 +1000, Gags wrote:

"The Scott" was my first race with the Specialized S-Works Epic that I

built
up for endurance races........here are my thoughts:

So what was your excuse for making Tam wait around transition for 15
minutes or so while dodgy commentary guys chatted to her?

Five flat tyres and having to run home the last 5km!!!!!

Old October 11th 06, 10:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Edward Dolan

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

Gags Wrote:

When are they going to cater for normal sized guys???

Gags

aah, yup!

flyingdutch

The above comments by flyingdutch leads me to believe that he is an
aborigine. Can anyone on this confounded group enlighten me on the matter?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old October 12th 06, 01:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Gags wrote:

"Dave Hughes" wrote in message
u...
On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:18:00 +1000, Gags wrote:

"The Scott" was my first race with the Specialized S-Works Epic that I

built
up for endurance races........here are my thoughts:

So what was your excuse for making Tam wait around transition for 15
minutes or so while dodgy commentary guys chatted to her?

Five flat tyres and having to run home the last 5km!!!!!

And I was actually there for closer to 50 minutes. I needed
a GU that lap (fortunately I got handed one shortly before
heading out -- thanks guys!)

Old October 12th 06, 01:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

Edward Dolan wrote:

"flyingdutch" wrote in
message ...

Gags Wrote:

When are they going to cater for normal sized guys???

Gags

aah, yup!

flyingdutch

The above comments by flyingdutch leads me to believe that he is an
aborigine. Can anyone on this confounded group enlighten me on the matter?

Ed,

He is a Dutch Aborigine, they are quite common here, like
women who don't do housework.

Old October 12th 06, 01:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB

Tamyka Bell wrote:

And I was actually there for closer to 50 minutes. I needed
a GU that lap (fortunately I got handed one shortly before
heading out -- thanks guys!)

GU, yuck. I find them too pasty to swallow when I'm already a bit dry.
Much rather CarboSHotz. Unfortunately I now have a box of free GU's that
were a random prize in Melbourne's UrbanMax last weekend (
http://tinyurl.com/jhn8s ). I've got a feeling it's going to take a
while to get through that lot.

DaveB
Old October 12th 06, 01:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Tamyka Bell

DaveB wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:

And I was actually there for closer to 50 minutes. I needed
a GU that lap (fortunately I got handed one shortly before
heading out -- thanks guys!)

GU, yuck. I find them too pasty to swallow when I'm already a bit dry.
Much rather CarboSHotz. Unfortunately I now have a box of free GU's that
were a random prize in Melbourne's UrbanMax last weekend (
http://tinyurl.com/jhn8s ). I've got a feeling it's going to take a
while to get through that lot.

DaveB

Send 'em to me, send 'em to me!

(I have to say, I prefer Enervit cheer packs. And my own
Goop, consisting mostly of honey and molasses, but laced
with maltodextrin and a dash of salt).