At last I'm a Real Cyclist!

Old May 20th 08, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve C[_2_]

Default At last I'm a Real Cyclist!

Almost got knocked off today by a speeding motorist, shooting out onto
the roundabout I was riding around. He obviously didn't see me and by
the time he realised and did manage to stop, he was a full car length
onto the roundabout. Luckily it was very quiet and I could swerve out of
the way and make use of the space to avoid him (two lane wide
roundabout). I might not have been very charitable in the comments I
shouted at the driver before I got on with getting to work...

Anyhow - after three years of commuting by cycle I now feel that I at
last qualify as a true cyclist!

Steve C
Old May 20th 08, 09:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Tue, 20 May 2008 21:22:34 +0100, Steve C wrote:

Almost got knocked off today by a speeding motorist, shooting out onto
the roundabout I was riding around. He obviously didn't see me and by
the time he realised and did manage to stop, he was a full car length
onto the roundabout. Luckily it was very quiet and I could swerve out of
the way and make use of the space to avoid him (two lane wide
roundabout). I might not have been very charitable in the comments I
shouted at the driver before I got on with getting to work...

Anyhow - after three years of commuting by cycle I now feel that I at
last qualify as a true cyclist!

All in a days work, welcome to the club!

This morning I encountered:

* 1 red ford focus trying to drive into the side of me on a roundabout -
he was driving the wrong way down a 1 way street (also a
pedestrianised zone).
* 1 female driver with fag in mouth driving very fast
towards me on the wrong side of the road outside a school forcing me to
swerve and stop while she drove through the road narrowing, where the
signs and markings very clearly said she had to give way to me.
* Two drivers cutting corners in front of me while I was approaching a
right turn (positioned near the centre and arm out indicating what I was
doing).

Maybe you live in an area where car drivers are slightly more tolerant
of cyclists g

peter
Old May 20th 08, 09:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Steve C wrote:
Almost got knocked off today by a speeding motorist, shooting out onto
the roundabout I was riding around. He obviously didn't see me and by
the time he realised and did manage to stop, he was a full car length
onto the roundabout. Luckily it was very quiet and I could swerve out of
the way and make use of the space to avoid him (two lane wide
roundabout). I might not have been very charitable in the comments I
shouted at the driver before I got on with getting to work...

Anyhow - after three years of commuting by cycle I now feel that I at
last qualify as a true cyclist!

Three years!
(Mind boggles) where do you live?

In the last four days of commuting I have been shouted at on three
occasions[1], had cars pull out and drive straight at me more than three
times, had to brake for cars pulling out in front of me a couple of
times, had to brake for cars overtaking and then swerving in front and
braking a few times of times.

And one guy who thought it would be fun to start honking his horn at me
as I was passing parked cars. This was the first stretch of road where I
did not have another vehicle in front, and was about to try and get some
speed up. Of course I just stopped pedalling.

There was also the occasion last week where a taxi nearly hit me as I
was crossing a pelican crossing (on foot) with the lights in my favour.

[1] The first time the passenger called me a n*gger, and I don't even
have a mild tan.
Old May 20th 08, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve C[_2_]

naked_draughtsman wrote:

Maybe you live in an area where car drivers are slightly more tolerant
of cyclists g

peter

I live in the sticks (Telford, Shropshire) and to be fair most motorists
are really considerate, although we have our fair share of cretins as
well...

Steve C
Old May 20th 08, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Steve C[_2_]

Default At last I'm almost a Real Cyclist!

Martin wrote:

Steve C wrote:
[...]

okay - maybe I'm still a POB! :-)

Glad I don't live where you do.
Old May 20th 08, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adam Lea[_2_]

"Martin" wrote in message

Steve C wrote:
[...]

Where do you live? I only rarely receive any aggression from motorists and I
live in the overcrowded SE. Even cycling around Salford and Manchester I
haven't had any problems.

Old May 21st 08, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

Adam Lea writtificated

Where do you live? I only rarely receive any aggression from motorists
and I live in the overcrowded SE. Even cycling around Salford and
Manchester I haven't had any problems.

I cycle around Manchester too, and very rarely get any aggression despite
good road positioning. I've friends (of similar age, build and appearance)
who seem to be magnets for aggressive twunts. Experience suggests that
riding style is the 'problem'. IMHO too much primary position is as bad as
too little.
Old May 21st 08, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Adam Lea wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

Three years!
(Mind boggles) where do you live?

In the last four days of commuting I have been shouted at on three
occasions[1], had cars pull out and drive straight at me more than three
times, had to brake for cars pulling out in front of me a couple of times,
had to brake for cars overtaking and then swerving in front and braking a
few times of times.

Where do you live? I only rarely receive any aggression from motorists and I
live in the overcrowded SE. Even cycling around Salford and Manchester I
haven't had any problems.

Sunny Bristol. Actually the being shouted at was a bit unusual, but it
is rare for me to have a day without incident.

The behaviour of the average road user does seem a lot worse than in SE
England (excluding London).

Old May 21st 08, 12:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin[_2_]

Mark T wrote:
Adam Lea writtificated

Where do you live? I only rarely receive any aggression from motorists
and I live in the overcrowded SE. Even cycling around Salford and
Manchester I haven't had any problems.

I cycle around Manchester too, and very rarely get any aggression despite
good road positioning. I've friends (of similar age, build and appearance)
who seem to be magnets for aggressive twunts. Experience suggests that
riding style is the 'problem'. IMHO too much primary position is as bad as
too little.

I always pull into primary position when passing parked cars,
negotiating roundabouts and many junctions or cycling down Toronto Road,
but I remain in the secondary more than some people here recommend.

It is passing parked cars and Toronto Road when I get the most hassle.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?num=25...00294&t=h&z=19

Martin.
Old May 21st 08, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

On Tue, 20 May 2008, Adam Lea wrote:

Where do you live? I only rarely receive any aggression from
motorists and I live in the overcrowded SE.

I think it's too variable over too small an area for that sort of
comment to make much difference. I live in the SE. I used to have a
commute where I rarely had problems - practically no aggression (say,
once a year) and motorists doing something stupid that required urgent
evasive action on my part maybe once a month.

Then my place of work changed. I'm now cycling from the same place,
about the same distance, but NW from home rather than W. Now I get
aggression (hooting or revving or bullying positioning) a couple of
times a week, and need to take evasive action almost daily. In my
first year of the new commute I was deliberately run off the road
(requiring trip in ambulance and some attention in A&E but not
admitted) once, hit by a car which didn't knock me off (but didn't
stop either) once and have had serious threats (eg car pulls
alongside, driver gestures then swerves at me) a couple of times.
Once a driver, having sweared and swerved at me, pulled off the road
about a mile further on, got out of his car and lunged at me as I rode
past.

And all this occurs within three miles of my previous substantially
trouble-free commute. Sometimes, for an easy life I cycle from work
to where I used to work then on to home from there - it's 60% further,
but it's much less troublesome.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig