Your kickstand: What & Where?

Old July 6th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ablang

Default Your kickstand: What & Where?

Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
where did you buy it?

I noticed some kickstands mount near the crank while others are rear-
mount. Of the latter, will this interfere w/ trailers that attach to
the rear?

A search on Amazon reveals the "Greenfield Stabilizer Rear Mount Alloy
ATB Kickstand" to be the most popular.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Sta...5315140&sr=8-2
Old July 6th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Reingold

On Jul 5, 11:43*pm, Ablang wrote:
*Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
where did you buy it?

I noticed some kickstands mount near the crank while others are rear-
mount. Of the latter, will this interfere w/ trailers that attach to
the rear?

A search on Amazon reveals the "Greenfield Stabilizer Rear Mount Alloy
ATB Kickstand" to be the most popular.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Sta...-Kickstand/dp/...

Kickstands tend to mar paint jobs and sometimes even crush frame
tubes. They also are not so great at stabilizing bikes. I find it best
to do without a kickstand. I lay my bike down or lean it against a
fixed object.

--
Tom Reingold
Noo Joizy
Old July 6th 08, 06:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jul 5, 10:57*pm, Tom Reingold wrote:
On Jul 5, 11:43*pm, Ablang wrote:

*Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
where did you buy it?

I noticed some kickstands mount near the crank while others are rear-
mount. Of the latter, will this interfere w/ trailers that attach to
the rear?

A search on Amazon reveals the "Greenfield Stabilizer Rear Mount Alloy
ATB Kickstand" to be the most popular.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Sta...-Kickstand/dp/...

Kickstands tend to mar paint jobs and sometimes even crush frame
tubes. They also are not so great at stabilizing bikes. I find it best
to do without a kickstand. I lay my bike down or lean it against a
fixed object.

Millions of people would find your conclusions pretty funny. While
mounting a stand on a sporting bike would be silly in the first place
and may indeed crush thin tubes on such a ride, and indeed you might
mar a bit of paint with a mounting plate--if you have the proper
clearances for it, a regular Greenfield BB mounted stand torqued none
too aggressively and the leg sawed just so, is a wonderful addition to
a utility bike. I use mine countless times per day and love it.
Splurge and get the rubber foot for 99c more. Most of the small shops
around here let me bike inside as I my bike is free standing with the
kickstand.

Old July 6th 08, 11:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 20:57:29 -0700 (PDT), Tom Reingold
wrote:

On Jul 5, 11:43*pm, Ablang wrote:
*Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
where did you buy it?

I noticed some kickstands mount near the crank while others are rear-
mount. Of the latter, will this interfere w/ trailers that attach to
the rear?

A search on Amazon reveals the "Greenfield Stabilizer Rear Mount Alloy
ATB Kickstand" to be the most popular.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Sta...-Kickstand/dp/...

Kickstands tend to mar paint jobs and sometimes even crush frame
tubes. They also are not so great at stabilizing bikes. I find it best
to do without a kickstand. I lay my bike down or lean it against a
fixed object.

Sometimes that's not a good idea - such as in a city very crowded with
other bikes and people.

I used a kickstand for awhile that fit into the read dropout. Worked
pretty well. The kickstand on Amazon is similar in location and
should work well, but I'm not sure about the trailer issue..
Old July 6th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jul 5, 10:43*pm, Ablang wrote:
*Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
where did you buy it?

I noticed some kickstands mount near the crank while others are rear-
mount. Of the latter, will this interfere w/ trailers that attach to
the rear?

A search on Amazon reveals the "Greenfield Stabilizer Rear Mount Alloy
ATB Kickstand" to be the most popular.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Sta...-Kickstand/dp/...

For utility bikes with brazed-on mounting plates, I like

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1034
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/71/22...9dbace4d_b.jpg
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/34/11...1007fbf2_b.jpg

I purchased two or three from Andrew Muzi at yellowjersey.org

Very stable even if I don't get the saddle bags all that balanced or
the front wheel is flopping all over.

Another alternative is a stay mounted stand. The stays are well
padded and taped prior to mounting. The fasteners are only hand tight
plus half a turn. After two years, I checked for damage and found
none.

http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30...ils&sku=KI1002
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/193/4...9c218d60_b.jpg

Mike Jenkins
Barrington, IL

Old July 6th 08, 07:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
* * Chas

"Ablang" wrote in message
Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
where did you buy it?

I noticed some kickstands mount near the crank while others are rear-
mount. Of the latter, will this interfere w/ trailers that attach to
the rear?

A search on Amazon reveals the "Greenfield Stabilizer Rear Mount Alloy
ATB Kickstand" to be the most popular.

http://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Sta...5315140&sr=8-2

Folks who use kick stands have their reasons.

I had kick stands on several 10 speeds in the 1960s and early 70s. Many of
the less expensive Bike Boom models from the early 70s came with a flat
plate brazed on the chainstays at the bottom bracket for mounting
ESGE/Pletscher or similar kickstands. Some even came from the factory with
that style kickstand.

I stopped using kickstands myself in 1973 after having bikes fall over
from careless people bumping into them or a gust of wind blowing them
over. Besides there was no need for a kick stand if the bike was locked to
a solid object.

I worked at a bike shop near a college campus during the 1970s and saw
more bikes damaged from falling over while on a kickstand than by any
other cause. I've also seen riders get hurt when they got a loose kick
stand caught in their left crank arm or pedal (inexperienced riders who
didn't know better).

Kickstands seemed to have encouraged people not to properly secure their
bikes. We had quite a few people come into the shop for new bikes because
their old ones had just been stolen when they left them sitting locked up
on a kick stand but not locked to a bike rack or anything solid. The
thieves just picked up the bikes and walked away!

Touring with loaded panniers were some of the few times when I would have
liked to have had a good light weight kickstand otherwise I saw no need
for carrying around 1 to 1 1/2 Lbs. of extra weight on the bike.

Chas.

Old July 6th 08, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

wrote:

On Jul 5, 11:43 pm, Ablang wrote:
[...]

I use the method I learned from Sheldon Brown -- toe strap (Christophe,
of course) on the front brake lever.
Old July 7th 08, 04:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Werehatrack

On Sat, 5 Jul 2008 20:43:24 -0700 (PDT), Ablang may
have said:

Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
where did you buy it?

On the bike ridden most often: Greenfield 305mm conventional, mounted
in the usual aft-of-BB area. Can't recall where I got it.

Old July 7th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

have said:

Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
where did you buy it?

On the bike ridden most often: Greenfield 305mm conventional, mounted
in the usual aft-of-BB area. Can't recall where I got it.

My son really wanted kickstand on his Trek Mountain Lion 80 (20"
wheels). I, too, clamped a basic Greenfield to the chainstays behind
the BB - didn't even have to trim the leg down (!) He really likes
it.
Old July 7th 08, 09:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Ablang wrote:

*Anyone here who has a kickstand on their bike, what brand is it and
where did you buy it?

I use a Pletscher two-leg stand on one of my bikes (special ordered
from my local bike shop), and a Greenfield on another one (was on the
frame when I got it). Two of my more fanciful bikes are old Schwinns
with brazed-on kickstands, and the rest of them-- most of them by
far-- have no kickstands.

I like having those kickstands, but I often forget to use them since
I'm not really in the habit.

Chalo

Quickstand or kickstand KM General 6 September 17th 06 03:33 AM
FS: Greenfield Kickstand, NEW, $8 res09c5t Marketplace 0 November 11th 05 03:18 PM
FS: Greenfield Kickstand, NEW res09c5t Marketplace 0 March 27th 05 12:18 AM
kickstand recommendations? Tom Nakashima Techniques 1 January 25th 05 05:54 PM
tandem kickstand Rich General 6 October 24th 04 04:39 PM