Self-Extracting Crank Bolt question

Old November 15th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

Default Self-Extracting Crank Bolt question

I've just picked up a new pair of cranks for my pre-isis KH/Onza hub. My
old pair has self-extracting bolts on them, and I thought I'd just swap
those over to my new ones. But I have two problems with that:
1. I don't have a pin spanner, which is the tool used to install and
remove the bolts from the crank arm.
2. The bolts seem like they must be loctited on, because they I can't
get them even to budge with my "workaround" tool (a set of circlip
pliers that fit, if not perfectly, in the pin holes).

Anybody know the size I need for a new set to install in the new
cranks? Or have other suggestions?

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old November 15th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Peter-

I think this is a tool that they will have at your local bike shop. I
may be wrong but any special tools required for servicing standardized
parts should be available there.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old November 15th 08, 01:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jtrops

I have those cranks, and the threads are backwards, so you might be
turning them the wrong direction. They have the self extracting bolt
kit at UDC US, for 5 dollars. I think you need to order the bolts, and
the rings separately so it's probably 10 bucks w/o shipping.

--
jtrops
Old November 15th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

D'oh! I'll check on the backwards threads thing; I hadn't tried turning
the other way. Maybe that'll take care of the issue.

I'll also check at the LBS for the tool. You can never have too many
tools!

--
pkittle

*==========================
Old November 15th 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

pkittle;1131318 wrote:
D'oh! I'll check on the backwards threads thing; I hadn't tried turning
the other way. Maybe that'll take care of the issue.

I'll also check at the LBS for the tool. You can never have too many
tools!

If you have a good LBS they should let you do it in house using their
tools.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old November 15th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wecaonimabb789

is 'runescape power leveling' (http://tinyurl.com/64ogxv) safe??every
one know.

--
wecaonimabb789

Old November 15th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

So it turns out that the left-handed threads were the only stumbling
block; I was able to remove the bolts with my circlip pliers easily once
I turned them the right direction.

So my KH24 now has fashionable 140s instead of the oh-so-trite 165s.
I'm hopeful this'll help me spin a little better, and make the
transition between my 29er (with 150s) and the 24 a little less
drastic.

Thanks again for the help and suggestions.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Old November 15th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jtrops

Glad I could help. Now I just need to find a set of shorter cranks, I
could use some 150's, but at this point it will be cheaper to buy a new
moment hub/crank combo than to buy new kh/onza cranks.

--
jtrops
Old November 15th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Into the blue

I know it's not the right tool, but I always use these...

|Filename: pliers.jpg |

Into the blue

Harper wrote:
i wuld get a 20' trialls uni prolly with a blu tiar.
get splined an a kh saet or ur a pansy.
get trials cuz thaz whut i du n u mus wannaa whut i du 2.
lol...awwsum.