Flying Pigeon - which size pedals?

Old June 3rd 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

Default Flying Pigeon - which size pedals?

A co-worker just acquired a new Flying Pigeon bike in all it's 50
pounds of glory. Unfortunately, the pedals are horrid, and are
threatening to fall apart at any moment.

Can anyone verify if these are 9/16th or 1/2 inch?

The steel cottered cranks look very thin, but that could be simply
because they are steel.
Old June 3rd 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 3, 9:33*am, Brian Huntley wrote:
A co-worker just acquired a new Flying Pigeon bike in all it's 50
pounds of glory. Unfortunately, the pedals are horrid, and are
threatening to fall apart at any moment.

Can anyone verify if these are 9/16th or 1/2 inch?

The steel cottered cranks look very thin, but that could be simply
because they are steel.

I believe they're 9/16" cottered if I remember right. Easy enough to
pull a pedal and check.
Old June 3rd 09, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Jun 3, 10:08*am, landotter wrote:
On Jun 3, 9:33*am, Brian Huntley wrote:

A co-worker just acquired a new Flying Pigeon bike in all it's 50
pounds of glory. Unfortunately, the pedals are horrid, and are
threatening to fall apart at any moment.

Can anyone verify if these are 9/16th or 1/2 inch?

The steel cottered cranks look very thin, but that could be simply
because they are steel.

I believe they're 9/16" cottered if I remember right. Easy enough to
pull a pedal and check.

Thanks. These particular pedals have about 25 km on them and don't
look like they'd survive being take off. It's as if they have no
bearing ball in them at all, and are flopping on their spindles.
Old June 3rd 09, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 3, 10:17*am, Brian Huntley wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:08*am, landotter wrote:

On Jun 3, 9:33*am, Brian Huntley wrote:

A co-worker just acquired a new Flying Pigeon bike in all it's 50
pounds of glory. Unfortunately, the pedals are horrid, and are
threatening to fall apart at any moment.

Can anyone verify if these are 9/16th or 1/2 inch?

The steel cottered cranks look very thin, but that could be simply
because they are steel.

I believe they're 9/16" cottered if I remember right. Easy enough to
pull a pedal and check.

Thanks. These particular pedals have about 25 km on them and don't
look like they'd survive being take off. It's as if they have no
bearing ball in them at all, and are flopping on their spindles.

A set of Union rubber pedals is a cheap and appropriate fix. MKS are
also good, rebuildable, but 3X the price.
Old June 3rd 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Jun 3, 9:17*am, Brian Huntley wrote:

Thanks. These particular pedals have about 25 km on them and don't
look like they'd survive being take off. It's as if they have no
bearing ball in them at all, and are flopping on their spindles.

Flying pigeons are frequently seen with a pedal axle without platforms.
Old June 3rd 09, 07:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 3, 1:07*pm, wrote:
On Jun 3, 9:17*am, Brian Huntley wrote:

Thanks. These particular pedals have about 25 km on them and don't
look like they'd survive being take off. It's as if they have no
bearing ball in them at all, and are flopping on their spindles.

Flying pigeons are frequently seen with a pedal axle without platforms.

That's Grant Peterson's next sell. With Mao slippers--the *feel* is
fungible.

Old June 3rd 09, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Brian Huntley wrote:
A co-worker just acquired a new Flying Pigeon bike in all it's 50
pounds of glory. Unfortunately, the pedals are horrid, and are
threatening to fall apart at any moment.

Can anyone verify if these are 9/16th or 1/2 inch?

The steel cottered cranks look very thin, but that could be simply
because they are steel.

9/16"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old June 4th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley

On Jun 3, 1:07*pm, wrote:
On Jun 3, 9:17*am, Brian Huntley wrote:

Thanks. These particular pedals have about 25 km on them and don't
look like they'd survive being take off. It's as if they have no
bearing ball in them at all, and are flopping on their spindles.

Flying pigeons are frequently seen with a pedal axle without platforms.

Yes, I've seen that in photos on CrazyGuyonaBike.com, but though it
was a maintenance issue. Now I know - they come with factory installed
crap pedals.
Old June 4th 09, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Cameron[_2_]

On Jun 4, 12:11*pm, Brian Huntley wrote:
On Jun 3, 1:07*pm, wrote:

On Jun 3, 9:17*am, Brian Huntley wrote:

Thanks. These particular pedals have about 25 km on them and don't
look like they'd survive being take off. It's as if they have no
bearing ball in them at all, and are flopping on their spindles.

Flying pigeons are frequently seen with a pedal axle without platforms.

Yes, I've seen that in photos on CrazyGuyonaBike.com, but though it
was a maintenance issue. Now I know - they come with factory installed
crap pedals.

Sadly the majority of Flying Pigeons and their Shanghai cousins
Yongjiu (Forever) bikes use a different standard for their pedals. A
mate, my wife and I bought two Yongjius and a Flying Pigeon in Beijing
in 2007. They all came with the requisite crappy pedals which I had
hoped to swap with something better but discovered that they are
smaller than 9/16th" and bigger than 1/2". Jase had already gone
through 3 sets by the time he left. I brought my bikes with me when I
came back and now I am faced with either trying to find some sort of
helicoil to bring them back to 1/2" to fit some BMX pedals, drilling
the cranks out and re-tapping them for 9/16th", or replacing the
cranks. At this stage I am likely to go for the drilling and re-
tapping. But first I'll pull the pedals off my wife's bike which she
never rides... If you want to persist with the standard pedals you can
get a pair for about $2 pretty much anywhere in Beijing, you just need
to know someone who is prepared to buy them and send them back to you.
At least it is easier than the 28 1/2" tyres with built in 'rim tape'.

Others with more historical knowledge might be able to identify the
actual size for the pedals. I suspect that these bikes are simply
copies of what the Europeans brought to China in the late 19th and
early 20th centuries.

Cheers,

Cameron