Attacking hills

Old July 26th 04, 07:21 PM
the black rose

Default Attacking hills

Well, now I'm a little intimidated by the guy who posted a thread asking
how to increase speed. Cuz I wanted to post a long dreamy note about my
experiences with attacking hills this morning as a means of increasing
my speed (I googled and found some posts recommending this). But my
average speed is 14-15 mph on a reasonably flat road, and that guy is
doing 17-18 on rolling hills. (I do NOT want admit what my average
speed on rolling hills is!) Now, granted, he's probably riding a road
bike, and I'm still chugging along on my ridiculously heavy hybrid
(when, oh WHEN are the 2005's coming in! *cry*); he's been riding, um,
"over the last year," and I've only been at this 2 months; and I'm
guessing he's considerably younger than I am.

So it is with great trepidation that timidly report that I was able to
get up hills at least 50% faster by attacking them, some of them 100%
faster, and increased my average speed for the entire ride by 1.3 mi/hr
(around 16 miles). This is a HUGE improvement for me. These were all
rolling hills, not too big, all preceded by a nice downhill to gather
speed -- what I did was stay in the big gear I'd been in on the downhill
and stand up to dance on the pedals as long as I could take it without
downshifting. This got me at least halfway up most of them before I'd
have to back off a little, sit back in the saddle and downshift. This
got me up all but one hill on the large chainring; the one I couldn't
manage, I only dropped to the middle chainring. I was blowing pretty
hard at the tops of the hills, but I made them in what was for me record
time. I was psyched.

Before some of you jump all over me, yes, I know how to downshift on a
hill, and no, I didn't do any cross-chaining. I don't want to wear down
the teeth on my chainrings and cogs prematurely. Yada yada. Standard
disclaimers apply. Etc etc etc. ;-)

I am quite pleased with these results. I'm definitely going to continue
attacking hills and see what kind of progress I can make.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old July 26th 04, 09:59 PM
Roger Zoul

What about your knees? You don't sound like a teen....

Old July 26th 04, 11:25 PM
psycholist

"the black rose" wrote in message
Well, now I'm a little intimidated by the guy who posted a thread asking
how to increase speed. Cuz I wanted to post a long dreamy note about my
experiences with attacking hills this morning as a means of increasing

big snip

the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

I was one of the first to reply to that guy about increasing average speed
and I, after reading your post, I thought to myself ... dang ... how could I
have forgotten that.

Seriously, the first big leap in my average speed after I got into cycling
came after I did some weight training over the winter and then came out
attacking all the small hills the following Spring. I'm not a big fan of
major weight training programs for cycling. Mostly, I think you're better
off doing your work on the bike. But a winter's worth of weights made all
the small hills I used to dread nearly disappear the following Spring
actually did catapult me from being a mid-pack club rider to being one that
hangs at the front most of the time.

But a word of caution. I said I used weights to achieve that. The catch 22
is that, with weights, you build muscle mass without the capillary system to
support the efficient removal of lactic acid. Take these legs that can
hammer the small hills and go on a major, sustained climb and their clogged
with lactic acid in no time. After the weights helped get me over the
hurdle of the smaller hills, I steered clear of them to improve my sustained
climbing in the longer run.

But you're right on, black rose.

Bob C.

Old July 27th 04, 12:21 AM
the black rose

Roger Zoul wrote:
What about your knees? You don't sound like a teen....

My knees are in pretty good shape. One knee took a knock in an auto
accident (shattered a dashboard) 30 years ago, but except for an ugly
scar and a tendency to forecast the weather, it's holding up as well as
the other.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old July 27th 04, 12:27 AM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Not downshifting and grinding up every hill in site is what keeps Ulrich
on the lower steps of the podium every year and completely off it this
year.

Take some advice from CarmichaelSp? (via Lance Armstrong and the rest
of the team), downshift and spin on the hills.

- -

"May you have the wind at your back.
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old July 27th 04, 12:52 AM
Roger Zoul

the black rose wrote:
|| Roger Zoul wrote:
||| What about your knees? You don't sound like a teen....
|| My knees are in pretty good shape. One knee took a knock in an auto
|| accident (shattered a dashboard) 30 years ago, but except for an ugly
|| scar and a tendency to forecast the weather, it's holding up as well
|| as the other.

I was concerned because I have read in many places that cracking up hills in
higher gear can result in knee problems (one of the two major causes, so I
hear). Also, in the 2004 TdF, it seemed obvious that LA's style results in
overall better ability than does Jan Ullrich's style (the former uses lower
gears and the latter works in higher gears). That's all.

Old July 27th 04, 01:27 AM
Terry Morse

Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:

Not downshifting and grinding up every hill in site is what keeps Ulrich
on the lower steps of the podium every year and completely off it this
year.

Take some advice from CarmichaelSp? (via Lance Armstrong and the rest
of the team), downshift and spin on the hills.

Spinning's good advice for the longer hills, but you might as well
just blast over the rollers. It's excellent interval work. Small
ring for the climbs, big ring for the rollers. Before you know it,
some of those climbs will start looking like rollers.
Old July 27th 04, 02:37 AM
Frank Krygowski

Roger Zoul wrote:

the black rose wrote:
|| Roger Zoul wrote:
||| What about your knees? You don't sound like a teen....
|| My knees are in pretty good shape. One knee took a knock in an auto
|| accident (shattered a dashboard) 30 years ago, but except for an ugly
|| scar and a tendency to forecast the weather, it's holding up as well
|| as the other.

I was concerned because I have read in many places that cracking up hills in
higher gear can result in knee problems (one of the two major causes, so I
hear). Also, in the 2004 TdF, it seemed obvious that LA's style results in
overall better ability than does Jan Ullrich's style (the former uses lower
gears and the latter works in higher gears). That's all.

My unscientific guess is that a moderate amount of that high-gear attack
does no harm at all, and probably does some good. In general, the body
seems to respond well to moderate stress followed by recovery time.
That's how it builds strength. Grinding high gears all the time might
be much different.

So I think "rose's" technique is fine, plus a lot more fun. I do it
every chance I get, and my knees do better when I ride more. (But I'll
bet "rose's" look better! ;-)

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old July 27th 04, 02:38 AM
MortDubois

If you aren't on flat terrain, your climbing speed has a much larger
effect on your average speed than your flat or descending speed - the
slower you climb, the more time you spend per ride riding slowly up
hills. Your downhill speed is largely determined by the slope of the
hill, and your flat speed won't vary too much (except with different
wind conditions). So climbing faster is the easiest way to boost
average speed. Your method for attacking the hill is better than not
attacking, but racers know that the proper way to attack the hill is
to stay in the saddle as long as possible - you want to stay tucked as
you start to decelerate at the beginning of the slope, and start a
moderate (75% power) spin to keep your speed as high as possible as
far up the hill as you can. Work your way down through your gears as
you decelerate. Only get out of the saddle if your speed drops below
12 mph. You will also gain a huge boost on rolling hills if you get
back in the saddle and spin your way over the top of the hill - you
should start your acceleration as soon as the hill's slope starts to
decrease. This is the place to apply maximum power, not at the bottom
or in the middle. An increase in speed over the top will get you up
to your maximum descending speed as quickly as possible. Then you
can rest until you bottom out, then start the cycle all over again.
This is harder work than you may be used to, but it will dramatically
increase your speed. Or, don't worry so much about how fast you go,
and enjoy the scenery. Good Luck!

Mort