Using Tip Top Original Patches

Old June 15th 04, 02:02 PM
Ian G Batten

Default Using Tip Top Original Patches

So, the wiggle parcel arrived this morning, containing tubes, patches
and CO2 cylinders. Which was nice, as it arrived as I was just waiting
for my GPS box to lock, and I grabbed a tube, a cylinder and some
patches from the box. Which was good, as I had a rear-wheel puncture on
the Grand Union towpath. I could quickly stick a new tube in, blast it
with CO2 and continue, with a patched tube, a tube needing patching,
some patches, another CO2 cylinder, a backup handpump and a fistful of
patches in my bag.

At lunchtime I repaired the punctured tube, and I'm a bit puzzled by the
Tip Top F1 Patches (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360008947).

They're black on one side, brown on the other, with the brown
protrouding slightly. I used one brown to the tube, on the grounds that
it made most sense to remove the (lightly adhereing) foil, bond it to
the tube and them remove the (firmly attached) clear layer. Was this
right? I know, I should read the instructions, but they're with the
other 90 patches at home...

ian

Old June 15th 04, 02:18 PM
Pete Biggs

Ian G Batten wrote:
They're black on one side, brown on the other, with the brown
protrouding slightly. I used one brown to the tube, on the grounds
that it made most sense to remove the (lightly adhereing) foil, bond
it to the tube and them remove the (firmly attached) clear layer.
Was this right? I know, I should read the instructions, but they're
with the other 90 patches at home...

With all patches, foil side faces tube.

Snipping edges of celophane in advance makes it easy to peel it off
afterwards.

~PB

Old June 15th 04, 02:30 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

Ian G Batten typed

I used one brown to the tube, on the grounds that
it made most sense to remove the (lightly adhereing) foil, bond it to
the tube and them remove the (firmly attached) clear layer. Was this
right?

Yes.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old June 15th 04, 02:35 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Ian G Batten
') wrote:

[...]

That's right. Best patches out there, bar none. Mind you, you'd be going
some to use that many in the rest of your life!

;; When all else fails, read the distractions.

Old June 15th 04, 02:40 PM
Ian G Batten

In article ,
Simon Brooke wrote:
That's right. Best patches out there, bar none. Mind you, you'd be going
some to use that many in the rest of your life!

Four, yes FOUR punctures in the last six days. Yeah, I finally found
the sliver of glass embedded in the front tyre that was pushing into the
tube under load but retracting into the carcass on examination.

And I had a ten quid wiggle voucher and buying a big box took it up to
5%, or free shipping or something. So I figured they were almost free
:-)

ian
Old June 15th 04, 02:54 PM
Dr Curious

"Ian G Batten" wrote in message

[...]

In my local Pound shop you can buy a puncture repair kit with
7 patches of similar appearance, 4 of the round ones* two small
oblong ones and one big oblong one, two tubes of rubber solution
two (probably useless) metal tyre levers and a useful miniature
nutmeg grater thingy to use in place of wet and dry. And all in a
natty box for £1. Not all pound shops are so generous however.

Curious

*the patches seem to work as well as do Cure C Cure. Although the
tubes of rubber solution (all ten of them) are as yet unopened.

Old June 15th 04, 03:14 PM
JohnB

Pete Biggs wrote:

With all patches, foil side faces tube.

Snipping edges of celophane in advance makes it easy to peel it off
afterwards.

I never bother, as trying to remove the cellophane may lift the edge of
the patch.

John B
Old June 15th 04, 03:55 PM
Alex Ferrier

JohnB wrote:

Pete Biggs wrote:

With all patches, foil side faces tube.

Snipping edges of celophane in advance makes it easy to peel it off
afterwards.

I never bother, as trying to remove the cellophane may lift the edge of
the patch.

Yeahbut, usually the cellopane backing (on Rema patches, at least) is
perforated in the middle of the patch. Making it easy to remove by
folding the repair patch double. This splits the cellophane backing
down the center allowing it to be peeled off without pulling at the
feathered edges of the patch.

--
Alex
BMW R1150GS

Old June 15th 04, 04:16 PM

John B? writes:

With all patches, foil side faces tube.

Snipping edges of cellophane in advance makes it easy to peel it off
afterwards.

I never bother, as trying to remove the cellophane may lift the edge
of the patch.

That's why the cellophane is split in the middle... so you can peel it
from inside to outside of the patch periphery with no lift-off. This
is done by manually stretching the tube and patch so the cellophane
breaks across its barely visible perforations and lifts in the middle.
Cellophane is not stretchable and should be removed to allow the patch
to elastically cover the puncture area.

Aluminum foil is used to keep the 'red' side from losing its adhesive
quality through evaporation. Cellophane does likewise but being less
impervious, is on the back side of the patch where it is good enough.
The foil is easily removed by bending down a corner by which the
cellophane remains flat and allows pulling the patch from the foil.
Do not cut off the corners because they are there to lift the patch.

Jobst Brandt

Old June 15th 04, 04:24 PM
JohnB

Alex Ferrier wrote:

I never bother, as trying to remove the cellophane may lift the edge of
the patch.

Yeahbut, usually the cellopane backing (on Rema patches, at least) is
perforated in the middle of the patch. Making it easy to remove by
folding the repair patch double. This splits the cellophane backing
down the center allowing it to be peeled off without pulling at the
feathered edges of the patch.

I've just looked at my large box of patches.
I'd never noticed before, but they are marked Simson and they don't have
a perforation.
I've never had any problem with them, but will look for ones with
perforations when they've run out.

Until then I'll stick with the additional rolling weight of leaving the
cellophane on.

John B

CURE-C-CURE patches IanB UK 15 March 2nd 04 02:50 AM
Unicycle Competition Patches for the Serious Uni Collector yoopers Unicycling 5 February 18th 04 02:56 AM