Tires

Old August 31st 04, 01:11 PM
Peter Cole

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
ink.net...

"dreaded" wrote in message

Any opinions out there on road tires for commuting on steep hills in the
rain? I had some continentals but they wore out pretty quick and the
vittorias are a little slick on wet pavement.

I ride with Avocet Cross II tires for commuting. These are very durable and
in my experience, grip well. I can also get them over the rims, something
that wasn't true with the Michelins I used to have. Biggest drawback: the
bike shop sometimes has to order these for me because they don't always have
them in stock.

Really heavy, lots of rolling resistance -- these tires are made for unpaved
surfaces.

Old August 31st 04, 02:55 PM
DRS

"Peter Cole" wrote in message
"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

I ride with Avocet Cross II tires for commuting. These are very

[...]

Really heavy, lots of rolling resistance -- these tires are made for
unpaved surfaces.

Yes, completely different to the Avocet FasGrips.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old August 31st 04, 04:01 PM
David Reuteler

Peter Cole wrote:
"Claire Petersky" wrote in message
ink.net...
I ride with Avocet Cross II tires for commuting. These are very durable and
in my experience, grip well. I can also get them over the rims, something
that wasn't true with the Michelins I used to have. Biggest drawback: the
bike shop sometimes has to order these for me because they don't always have
them in stock.

Really heavy, lots of rolling resistance -- these tires are made for unpaved
surfaces.

in the same league as the conti top touring 2k but much lighter. in fact
i've used 'em for touring and they're pretty good for that (better than
the tt2k, imo).

as far as weight is concerned:

cross II wire-bead 28mm: 330g folding: 295
duro wire-bead 28mm: 300g folding: None
conti tt2k wire-bead 28mm: 490g folding: None

sooo, if ya spend the bucks for folding they can be lighter (since the
duro doesn't come in a folding model) or 30g heavier. probably not really
heavy.

they certainly have a more rolling resistance than the duros but they ain't
knobbies and they do wear longer than the duros, ime.
--
david reuteler

Old August 31st 04, 04:49 PM
maxo

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:30:37 +0000, Bob in CT wrote:

Try finding one at www.nashbar.com, for
instance.

They are rare, but Nashbar currently has some very nice Conti 3000s and
Vittorias on sale for under 15 bucks in the 700x28 size.

FWIW--I'm still riding the Nashbar Prima Pluses I bought for 10 a pop in
March, sized 700x25 (the width is actually 25mm), and have had only one
flat and a superb ride for the last 3000+ miles.

I have broken loose on rainy climbs with the Primas when standing in a
42x24--but that doesn't strike me as surprising. If I'd had a granny, I'd
have just downshifted and slid back in the saddle--knowing that no tire is
slip immune in the wet.

Old August 31st 04, 05:37 PM
David Reuteler

urgghh.. i remember now that at least until somewhat recently the cross iis
were sized one up. a fair comparison would be the cross ii 32mm with the
duro 28mm. assuming the conti tt2k are honest.

cross II wire-bead 28mm: 330g folding: 295

cross II wire-bead 32mm: 370g folding: 335

Old August 31st 04, 07:02 PM
Bob in CT

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 15:49:02 GMT, maxo wrote:

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 17:30:37 +0000, Bob in CT wrote:

Try finding one at www.nashbar.com, for
instance.

They are rare, but Nashbar currently has some very nice Conti 3000s and
Vittorias on sale for under 15 bucks in the 700x28 size.

FWIW--I'm still riding the Nashbar Prima Pluses I bought for 10 a pop in
March, sized 700x25 (the width is actually 25mm), and have had only one
flat and a superb ride for the last 3000+ miles.

I have broken loose on rainy climbs with the Primas when standing in a
42x24--but that doesn't strike me as surprising. If I'd had a granny, I'd
have just downshifted and slid back in the saddle--knowing that no tire
is
slip immune in the wet.

Ah, they do have tires on sale! I'll have to purchase some.

--
Bob in CT
Remove ".x" to reply

Road Tires - Reviews ?? Churchill General 14 July 10th 04 04:49 PM
Road Tires - Reviews ?? Churchill Racing 14 July 10th 04 04:49 PM
Road Tires - Reviews ?? Churchill Techniques 32 July 10th 04 04:49 PM
"Carbon" tires psycholist Techniques 34 January 28th 04 07:45 AM
Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 04:40 PM