Phonak suspends Hamilton

Old September 22nd 04, 04:39 PM
Ronde Chimp

Default Phonak suspends Hamilton

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...108EDT0224.DTL

(09-22) 08:08 PDT GENEVA (AP) --

Olympic cycling champion Tyler Hamilton was suspended Wednesday by his
pro team, which threatened to fire him if he can't prove he's innocent
of blood doping.

Hamilton could lose his time-trial gold medal from the Athens Games if
backup tests confirm results from earlier tests at the Olympics and
the Spanish Vuelta showing another person's blood in his system.

He denied receiving a transfusion -- which can boost an athlete's
performance by increasing the amount of oxygen-transporting red blood
cells in his system.

Under the heading "We believe Tyler" in a statement Wednesday, Phonak
team boss Andy Rihs said: "For the moment, we have to concentrate on
the facts. These seem to speak against Tyler. But so long as we're not
100 percent certain that he's guilty of manipulation, we will believe
him."

However, immediately below Rihs's statement, Phonak said Hamilton's
suspension would hold "pending further notice" until tests and
proceedings are completed.

"If Hamilton is not able to prove his innocence, then the contract
will be canceled effective immediately," the statement said.

The team's stance is a far cry from the staunch support of Hamilton it
showed Tuesday, when Rihs declared he didn't "fire innocent people,"
adding that "Tyler is innocent as long as no one proves the contrary."

Hamilton said he already is losing endorsement deals, though he
wouldn't say with which companies.

"Already it has ruined a lot for me -- my reputation," Hamilton said.
"There are personal sponsors who are pulling out. It's sad."

He's sponsored by Nike, Oakley Eyewear and Watches, Zipp Wheels, pedal
manufacturer Speedplay, Bell Helmets and energy bar maker Clif Bar.

Phonak, a Swiss team, was informed by cycling's international body and
the International Olympic Committee that tests at the Athens Olympics
on Aug. 19 and at the Spanish Vuelta on Sept. 11 showed evidence of
blood from another person.

The International Cycling Union had informed cyclists at the start of
the season that tests for blood doping and Human Growth Hormone were
well advanced and probably would be introduced in the coming months.

"I am 100 percent innocent," Hamilton said Tuesday. "The results were
like a bolt of lightning out of the blue for me. I have no idea what
has happened. It must be some kind of manipulation."

A record 24 athletes were caught with doping violations at the Aug.
13-29 Olympic Games. Three athletes had gold medals revoked for doping
in Athens.

Hamilton was the only American cyclist to win a gold medal in Athens,
and he called that victory "the highlight of my career, by far."

If he is disqualified, the gold medal would go to Russia's Viatcheslav
Ekimov, with American Bobby Julich moving up to silver and Australia's
Michael Rogers to the bronze
Old September 22nd 04, 05:14 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

On 22 Sep 2004 08:39:11 -0700, Ronde Chimp wrote:
The team's stance is a far cry from the staunch support of Hamilton it
showed Tuesday

Phonak saving their Pro Tour entry.
Old September 22nd 04, 05:16 PM

Ewoud Dronkert writes:

On 22 Sep 2004 08:39:11 -0700, Ronde Chimp wrote:
The team's stance is a far cry from the staunch support of Hamilton it
showed Tuesday

Phonak saving their Pro Tour entry.

It had to happen

I wondered at the team's support of him yesterday.

--
le Vent a Dos, Davey Crockett
Six Day Site: http://sixday.741.com/