Horn Blowing = Lion's Roar?

Old April 28th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Horn Blowing = Lion's Roar?

(This comment interprets horn blowing. My own interpretation is found
below.)

Horn Blowing: Interpreting the Message.

If someone honks a horn at you, the meaning is all in the duration. A
really brief "Bip!" means "Hi!" or "Bye!" A moderately short beep
means, "I just want you to realize I'm here." Somewhere between a
second and maybe two seconds means, "I'm here and I am annoyed at your
heedlessness." Over two seconds it means, "I'm ****ed off at you,
JERK!" Longer than three seconds it means, "I'm ****ed off at this
whole situation! And I am frustrated that I can't do anything more
effective than sit here and blow my horn. Boy am I
frustrated!" (Usually employed in traffic jams to make people around
you even more frustrated too.)

Repeated honks are either repetitions of the above (sorted by blast
duration) or monotone musical "Hellos" if done in cadence with known
tunes like "Shave and a haircut: two bits!" (Meant to be friendly.)

http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php...&#entry37 361

Like I said somewhere else: most of the time the vehicle's blowing the
horn is equivalent to the lion's roar...

"Hey, this is my territory and you better get lost --or else I eat
you!"

And guess what the monkey riding the bike said... "Yes, you can eat my
banana!"

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote
Old April 29th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
mmeiser

Pardon if I'm off topic but I have a quick question.

I've been browsing the rec.bicylces.rides and other rec.bicycles
usenet groups via google, and they seem completely full of spam except
for this post.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but are there some actual users
dialoguing on here regularly or is it all spam?

If so, how many people are actually regularly participating and how do
you use this group with so much spam?

-Mike
mmeiser.com/blog

http://www.dahon.com/forum/index.php...0&gopid=37361&...

Old April 29th 08, 01:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Eric Vey

mmeiser wrote:
Pardon if I'm off topic but I have a quick question.

I've been browsing the rec.bicylces.rides and other rec.bicycles
usenet groups via google, and they seem completely full of spam except
for this post.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but are there some actual users
dialoguing on here regularly or is it all spam?

If so, how many people are actually regularly participating and how do
you use this group with so much spam?

-Mike
mmeiser.com/blog

Don't use Google. I use news.datemas.de which filters out most spam.
Old April 29th 08, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
ZBicyclist

mmeiser wrote:
Pardon if I'm off topic but I have a quick question.

I've been browsing the rec.bicylces.rides and other rec.bicycles
usenet groups via google, and they seem completely full of spam
except
for this post.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but are there some actual
users
dialoguing on here regularly or is it all spam?

If so, how many people are actually regularly participating and
how do
you use this group with so much spam?

Up to a few weeks ago, r.b.m and r.b.r. were good newsgroups.

Now we are awash with spam and silly posts. Some regulars have
become discouraged.

Old April 29th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Sherman[_2_]

ZBicyclist wrote:
mmeiser wrote:
Pardon if I'm off topic but I have a quick question.

I've been browsing the rec.bicylces.rides and other rec.bicycles
usenet groups via google, and they seem completely full of spam
except
for this post.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but are there some actual
users
dialoguing on here regularly or is it all spam?

If so, how many people are actually regularly participating and
how do
you use this group with so much spam?

Up to a few weeks ago, r.b.m and r.b.r. were good newsgroups.

Now we are awash with spam and silly posts. Some regulars have
become discouraged.

A news feed that filters most of the spam solves the problem.

Old April 29th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
It's Chris

I equipped my truck with a triple horn that sounds a lot like the ones
used by the race official's cars in the TdF. Cyclists recognize it as a
friendly acknowledgement regardless of how long I hold it :-3).

Of course, when tooting at cyclists I always wait until I've passed or
am approaching, so's not to startle them.

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

Old April 29th 08, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 28, 8:01*pm, mmeiser wrote:
Pardon if I'm off topic but I have a quick question.

I've been browsing the rec.bicylces.rides and other rec.bicycles
usenet groups via google, and they seem completely full of spam except
for this post.

I hope this isn't a stupid question but are there some actual users
dialoguing on here regularly or is it all spam?

If so, how many people are actually regularly participating and how do
you use this group with so much spam?

-Mike
mmeiser.com/blog

So I guess you don't use the horn to mark territory. Funny, dogs mark
territory be peeing all over. I hope it doesn't catch on with the SUV
drivers.
Old April 29th 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

On Apr 28, 6:20 pm, Gunner Asch wrote:

I wonder how that translates to bicycle bells?

Chuckle

Bicycle bells vs. car's horn amount to this: The lion roars and the
bicycle answers back...meaow.

It's a kind of behavior signalling submission. "Ding, ding, ding"...

The mouse that will roar William Asher Racing 0 January 9th 07 08:13 PM
You know it's blowing when ... Nick Kew UK 2 February 22nd 06 03:39 PM
Blowing the cobwebs off my MTB Ian B. UK 7 July 8th 05 12:36 AM
Blowing your nose Kenneth Clements UK 40 October 31st 03 01:46 PM
Rear Hub Bearing Roar S. Anderson General 2 October 22nd 03 12:10 PM